Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 22-04-2004, 07:13 PM
ajr

Default Seedlings

Good evening,

Being relatively new to gardening I've got a few questions that hopefully
the more experienced gardeners amongst you can help me with.

At the beginning of March I planted a number of rows of broad beans, onions
and potatoes, and the majority of them are growing very nicely thank you.

I then planted the following about three weeks ago:

A row of carrots, spinach and beetroot, as well as a row of marigolds (my
father told me that they would 'kill off' carrot fly!).

Most of these rows have small 'seedlings' growing, but I have no idea
whether they are weeds or the plants that I am trying to grow. Can anyone
point me in the direction of a site that has pictures of seedlings, so I can
distinguish one from the other?

Also the spinach, marigolds and carrots have failed to show themselves yet -
do they usually take three + weeks to germinate? Did I plant them too
early? I live in the South West, and we haven't had a frost, or particually
cold weather since they went into the ground so I assumed that they would be
doing something by now.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Regards,

Andrew