Old 22-04-2004, 07:13 PM
ajr

Default Seedlings

Good evening,

Being relatively new to gardening I've got a few questions that hopefully
the more experienced gardeners amongst you can help me with.

At the beginning of March I planted a number of rows of broad beans, onions
and potatoes, and the majority of them are growing very nicely thank you.

I then planted the following about three weeks ago:

A row of carrots, spinach and beetroot, as well as a row of marigolds (my
father told me that they would 'kill off' carrot fly!).

Most of these rows have small 'seedlings' growing, but I have no idea
whether they are weeds or the plants that I am trying to grow. Can anyone
point me in the direction of a site that has pictures of seedlings, so I can
distinguish one from the other?

Also the spinach, marigolds and carrots have failed to show themselves yet -
do they usually take three + weeks to germinate? Did I plant them too
early? I live in the South West, and we haven't had a frost, or particually
cold weather since they went into the ground so I assumed that they would be
doing something by now.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Regards,

Andrew

Old 22-04-2004, 08:13 PM
JennyC

"ajr" wrote in message
[...]

Hi Andrew
I havn't got one site with pictures, but if you go to google images:

http://images.google.com/imghp?hl=en

and type seedling carrot (or beetroot or or )

then you should find something useful

HTH Jenny

Old 22-04-2004, 09:07 PM
Kay Easton

In article , ajr
writes

A row of carrots, spinach and beetroot, as well as a row of marigolds (my
father told me that they would 'kill off' carrot fly!).

Most of these rows have small 'seedlings' growing, but I have no idea
whether they are weeds or the plants that I am trying to grow. Can anyone
point me in the direction of a site that has pictures of seedlings, so I can
distinguish one from the other?

This is from memery, so may be wrong!

Carrots have very long fine cotyledons (the first 'seed' leaves) and
then the first true leaves appear very find and hair like between them.
Beetroot naturally comes as clusters of seeds (though they now sell them
in a single form) and has strap like cotyledons a bit wider than the
carrot ones. You start getting hints of the red quite early on.

Also the spinach, marigolds and carrots have failed to show themselves yet -
do they usually take three + weeks to germinate?

can do easily.
For future reference - parsnips and parsley are notoriously slow to
germinate.

Not much help to you now, but I used to plant radish seeds about 1 inch
apart along any row where I was planting veg seeds. The radish
germinated very quickly and showed me where the rest of the row was, and
they were ready for pulling before the other plants were big enough to
have problems with the radish competing for space.

--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
Old 22-04-2004, 09:07 PM
MissJuggs

On Thu, 22 Apr 2004 20:31:59 +0100, Kay Easton
wrote:

Carrots have very long fine cotyledons (the first 'seed' leaves) and
then the first true leaves appear very find and hair like between them.

I'm sorry if this appears pushy, but it seems as if there is a space
for a website containing photographs of seedlings, of 'weeds', and of
'desirable' plants, possibly with notes.

I'm not sure that I have the time or the access to the webspace, but I
am thinking aobut it. Could anyone help?

I only say this because I had the same problem three years ago when I
started, and have just confused my brother who has stayed for a couple
of weeks by 'just knowing' what is a weed and what isn't. That came
from a fairly close study over the three years, but a web site of
seedlings photos would be very useful to beginners.

Glenys

--
"A Newsweek poll said if the election were held today, John Kerry
would beat Bush 49 percent to 46 percent. And today, President Bush
Old 22-04-2004, 10:05 PM
martin

wrote:

Carrots have very long fine cotyledons (the first 'seed' leaves) and
then the first true leaves appear very find and hair like between them.

I'm sorry if this appears pushy, but it seems as if there is a space
for a website containing photographs of seedlings, of 'weeds', and of
'desirable' plants, possibly with notes.

I'm not sure that I have the time or the access to the webspace, but I
am thinking aobut it. Could anyone help?

I only say this because I had the same problem three years ago when I
started, and have just confused my brother who has stayed for a couple
of weeks by 'just knowing' what is a weed and what isn't. That came
from a fairly close study over the three years, but a web site of
seedlings photos would be very useful to beginners.

Like this, Glenys?

http://theseedsite.co.uk/seedlings.html

aint google wonderful? :-)

Old 22-04-2004, 10:05 PM
Kay Easton

In article , MissJuggs
writes
wrote:

Carrots have very long fine cotyledons (the first 'seed' leaves) and
then the first true leaves appear very find and hair like between them.

I'm sorry if this appears pushy, but it seems as if there is a space
for a website containing photographs of seedlings, of 'weeds', and of
'desirable' plants, possibly with notes.

I think you're right - that there is need for a site showing weed
seedlings and very young plant seedlings. There may be one somewhere, so
have a good search of the web before reinventing the wheel, but if
there isn't one, then, yes, it would be useful as it is one of those
questions that crops up now and again.

Sorry that I can't offer any practical help.

--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
Old 22-04-2004, 10:05 PM
MissJuggs

On Thu, 22 Apr 2004 22:10:13 +0200, martin wrote:

Like this, Glenys?

http://theseedsite.co.uk/seedlings.html

aint google wonderful? :-)

Without going through it in detail, that very much looks like the sort
of site I had in mind. You clever boy! I have bookmarked it.

Glenys

Old 22-04-2004, 10:05 PM
MissJuggs

On Thu, 22 Apr 2004 21:04:06 +0100, Kay Easton
wrote:

I think you're right - that there is need for a site showing weed
seedlings and very young plant seedlings. There may be one somewhere, so
have a good search of the web before reinventing the wheel, but if
there isn't one, then, yes, it would be useful as it is one of those
questions that crops up now and again.

Martin came up with one, and the only criticism that I have of it is
that the seedling pictures are divided into biological description
type categorizations. Still it doesn't hurt one to go through all the
pictures and learn.

What would be useful to add to something like Martin's site is a
classification that would match more closely with newbie gardeners,
like vegetables, annuals, bulbs, etc. But that is a minor quibble, as
the common names are there under the pictures, and I am sad enough to
wade through loads of pictures, hoping that something will sink in,
anyway.

Glenys

Old 22-04-2004, 10:05 PM
martin

wrote:

[...]

If you dig around on the site ( no pun intended). You'll find that the
seedlings are ordered in several different ways.
I'm a bit overwhelmed by the amount of information on the site.
Old 22-04-2004, 10:05 PM
David Hill

For all people new to gardening, it would be an idea if when sowing seeds
for the first time, sow a few in a pot of potting compost so that you will
have seedlings to compare to what comes up in the open ground, and don't
forget to label each pot.

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 23-04-2004, 12:15 AM
shazzbat

wrote:

Carrots have very long fine cotyledons (the first 'seed' leaves) and
then the first true leaves appear very find and hair like between them.

I'm sorry if this appears pushy, but it seems as if there is a space
for a website containing photographs of seedlings, of 'weeds', and of
'desirable' plants, possibly with notes.

I'm not sure that I have the time or the access to the webspace, but I
am thinking aobut it. Could anyone help?

I only say this because I had the same problem three years ago when I
started, and have just confused my brother who has stayed for a couple
of weeks by 'just knowing' what is a weed and what isn't. That came
from a fairly close study over the three years, but a web site of
seedlings photos would be very useful to beginners.

Like this, Glenys?

http://theseedsite.co.uk/seedlings.html

I like that. I just had a quick shufti and will have a better peruse over
the weekend. Now, what about a site showing which bugs are goodies and which
are baddies? .

Steve

Old 23-04-2004, 08:04 AM
MissJuggs

On Thu, 22 Apr 2004 22:28:09 +0200, martin wrote:

What would be useful to add to something like Martin's site is a
classification that would match more closely with newbie gardeners,
like vegetables, annuals, bulbs, etc. But that is a minor quibble, as
the common names are there under the pictures, and I am sad enough to
wade through loads of pictures, hoping that something will sink in,
anyway.

If you dig around on the site ( no pun intended). You'll find that the
seedlings are ordered in several different ways.
I'm a bit overwhelmed by the amount of information on the site.

Oh. Will do. I've already bookmarked it, will spend some time
learning there this weekend.

Glenys
Old 23-04-2004, 11:04 AM
Victoria Clare

MissJuggs wrote in
:

What would be useful to add to something like Martin's site is a
classification that would match more closely with newbie gardeners,
like vegetables, annuals, bulbs, etc.

You could probably do common vegetables & annuals fairly easily, but I
reckon that most baby bulbs look almost the same - one long slim round
spike, varying between paler and darker greens...

But maybe I'm not looking hard enough.

Victoria
--
gardening on a north-facing hill
in South-East Cornwall
Old 24-04-2004, 11:02 AM
ajr

"ajr" wrote in message
[...]

Many thanks to everyone for their advice.

Old 26-04-2004, 04:12 AM
Brian

You should have no problems. your timing was correct. You might have planted
a little too deeply but they will soon appear.
I assume you used a tight line to make the rows?! If so the seedlings
following, and repeated, will be those you sowed. Carrot has finely divided
leaves and the beetroot is well defined with red/purple leaves. Both the
beet and the spinach will be in little clusters.
Best Wishes Brian Kernow