Old 05-05-2004, 09:04 PM
Franz Heymann

Default Controlling moss

"gary davis" wrote in message
On 5/4/04 3:38 AM, in article ,

"Franz
Heymann" wrote:

"Ann" wrote in message

"Joe McElvenney" wrote in message
Hi,

I have trouble with too much moss on some of my garden
walls and parts of the drive. I would like to control it
rather than eliminate it entirely as to me it has a certain
rustic charm when in the right place and quantity.

I use a power washer to get rid of moss\weeds on paths, drives

and
patios -
beats chemicals - quite a bit of work but the results are really

good.

That's all very well, but the moss comes right back during the
succeeding winter. In any case, you cannot get it off the soil in

the
beds that way.

I once spoke to anurseryman about it. He said that the moss was

an
indication of a poor soil. . For luck, I tried to put on more
fertiliser than I usually do, as the nurseryman advised. Result:

truly bumper crop of moss on all the beds.

Franz

I fortunately have a local source of chicken manure. It comes

mixed with
sawdust. It is dry but ripe! I get a load in the winter and just

throw it
all over my lawn...I can just see some of you cringing! Yes, it

does
stink...I call it farm fresh air!
I live in an area that gets lots of rain in the winter and the

rain
washes the manure into the ground and the grass grows over and

through it.
The odd clump of manure that doesn't break down I solve by putting

on my
West Coast cowboy boots (rubber boots) and boot (kick) the clumps

into
submission! The clumps of manure, once kicked, spread out and

eventually
disappear as the grass starts to grow in the spring.
I had moss growing strongly in one area and I put an extra

amount of
this sawdusty manure on that area. It looked terrible for a time but

now no
moss and the grass is growing green and well.
The nurseryman was probably right about poor soil but if there

is no
grass under the moss how can the grass take over and obliterate the

moss?

I have no lawns in my garden. The only grass I have is unwanted weeds
in the wrong places. I fight to get rid of that as well. The moss
infestation of which I speak is moss covering bare soil areas in my
flower and shrub beds, and a truly vast forest of it on my dry stone
walls.

I have heard that the only way (other than my way with stinky

sawdusty
manure) is to cover the moss with an inch + - of sand. This smothers

the
moss and any grass below will grow through the sand. The grass does

need
nutrients to grow strongly. (To ensure you have enough nutrients in

the
soil throw a big party. Supply free beer to all your male friends

and have
them....broadcast the end results in the chosen mossy area. Or a

slower, but
equally effective way, drink the beer yourself and follow the above
suggestion. It works...don't ask me how I know).

I will try giving my moss chicken pellets for lunch. I wonder whether
an infusion of that stuff, watered on the walls, will help.
Roll on a dry day so that I can try it out.

Franz

Old 06-05-2004, 12:05 AM
gary davis

big snip

It always helps to have more information about a problem in order to
offer corrective (hopefully) suggestions. I could have misread your original
post also.
So, the moss you have is growing on bare soil (and not on the lawn)
between flowers and such. A question:
Have you tried turning the moss over so that it is buried? I would
think the deeper (within reason) the better. Moss does like acid soils and
one would think that by adding some lime to the soil after turn in would
help.
If for some reason you cannot turn the moss over then try covering it
with sand. The moss must be totally covered. I can almost
guarrantee....guarranttee...that this will work but I can't even spell
guarrantee...
I don't think that moss can be eradicated simply by adding fertilizer.
Except maybe in my case where the grass grows higher. It's a combination of
things...and each case has it's own corrective solution.
Good luck,
Gary
Fort Langley BC
Canada

Old 07-05-2004, 06:08 PM
Franz Heymann

"gary davis" wrote in message
big snip

It always helps to have more information about a problem in

order to
offer corrective (hopefully) suggestions. I could have misread your

original
post also.
So, the moss you have is growing on bare soil (and not on the

lawn)
between flowers and such.

Yes.

A question:
Have you tried turning the moss over so that it is buried?

Yes. It gives temporary relief.

I would
think the deeper (within reason) the better.

I cannot go deep at all, since my topsoil is barely 6" above shattered
sandstone bedrock

Moss does like acid soils and
one would think that by adding some lime to the soil after turn in

would
help.

My soil is somewhat acid, but not remarkably so. I have been keeping
a couple of patches thoroughly limed for growing Dianthus. The moss
problem is not significantly better there.

If for some reason you cannot turn the moss over then try

covering it
with sand. The moss must be totally covered. I can almost
guarrantee....guarranttee...that this will work but I can't even

spell
guarrantee...

One "r". {:-))
At my age, covering the garden with an inch or more of sand is not an
option.

I don't think that moss can be eradicated simply by adding

fertilizer.
Except maybe in my case where the grass grows higher. It's a

combination of
things...and each case has it's own corrective solution.

I have now found a chemical which looks as if it is going to be
helpful:
"Algon". Sold as an "organic algae control". The bottle claims it is
good for eradicating algae, moss and lichen. I have ried it on an
algae -infested drive. It worked a dream. I have tried it on a
substantial patch of moss on a stone wall, and it has killed the moss.
I hope the effect will be long lasting!

Unfortunately the bottle carries no information at all about the
nature of the active ingredient.
Does anyone in urg have any experience of it?

Old 07-05-2004, 06:08 PM
Franz Heymann

"Janet Baraclough.." wrote in
message ...
The message
from "Caroline" contains these words:

I once spoke to anurseryman about it. He said that the moss was

an
indication of a poor soil. . For luck, I tried to put on more
fertiliser than I usually do, as the nurseryman advised.

He was ripping off the OP.

Actually no. He may have given me bad advice, but he has never tried
to rip me off in 14 years of dealing with him.

Result: A
truly bumper crop of moss on all the beds.

I have lots of moss in the garden (NW and shady during the first

half of the
day), I never used any fertiliser and my plants are growing really

well. Is
moss truly a sign of a poor soil?

No, it's a sign of acid moist soil. Moss grows perfectly well on

acid
moist highly fertile soil, as the OP found out.

It also grows luxuriantly on my dry stone walls.

Franz

Old 07-05-2004, 06:09 PM
Franz Heymann

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message

In article ,
"Bob" writes:

| Is it really a sign of acid soil? I've been puzzling about my

soil for a
| while now - the surrounding gardens have lovely magnolias

(acid?), and my
| acers and rhododendrons seem to do fine (acid) but my hydrangeas

always come
| out pink (alkaline) - even the ones that were blue when I bought

them. The
| soil testing kit said slightly alkaline, but I have huge areas of

moss
| spreading across the lawn, and the paths always get a thick

spongy coat in
| the winter...

Some mosses are, but the real reason is that alkaline soils in the
UK tend to be well-drained. As far as I know, there are mosses
that will grow vigorously on any soil in the UK (including 'soils'
so poor that they count as hardcore), subject only to sufficient
damp.

My dry stone walls and my macadamised drive are not all that damp.
{:-))

Franz

Old 09-05-2004, 09:06 AM
gary davis

On 5/7/04 9:40 AM, in article , "Franz
Heymann" wrote:

"gary davis" wrote in message
[...]

Hi Franz
As I said before it is important to know all, or as much information as
possible, in order to provide the proper information to help try to solve a
gardening problem.
Thanks for the clarification of the spelling of guarantee...I do have
trouble with words like that. I won't anymore with guarrantee...I mean
guarantee.
So you are trying to keep up with the Joneses when your soil is only 6"
deep! Wow, now that is a challenge. And you have a moss problem that turning
over gives temporary relief. You can't add 1" inch of sand because of your
age?
Surely, you must be joking! 6" of soil and you are wondering why you
can't keep up to your friends success in growing plants? Can you tell me how
deep their soil is?
Well, I'll take your story at face value and tell you that you need more
soil. I'll send you some...it will contain some bs but not more than you can
handle. Good luck
Gary
Fort Langley BC
Canada