Old 03-05-2004, 08:04 PM
Shirl

Default Shaded greenhouse

Hello

I have only one place that I can put a greenhouse in my garden, however its
in the shade for most of the time. I live in the midlands and its been
lovely and sunny today, however I think I had about half an hour the whole
day when the sun actually managed to shine onto the greenhouse :-/

Im hoping this will change as the sun gets higher in the sky but is it
possible to get good growth in shaded conditions or should I just give it
up? I've got tomatoes, lettuce, spring onions etc in there as from
Saturday. I had the plants growing nicely in my house until then but
decided that the greenhouse must be better than the limited sun that comes
in through a window.

I dont have anywhere outside the greenhouse to plant my veggies either so
its shady greenhouse or back to buying from Tesco.

Any thoughts welcome

Old 03-05-2004, 09:05 PM
Oxymel_of_Squill

well it's the best on offer innit? My greenhouse (I'm in Wisbech, is that
Midlands too?) is a lean-to in a corner between south and east walls and
gets direct sun only until about midday but it has been ver hot in there and
things (from tomatoes to highland nepenthes) grow happily.

"Shirl" wrote in message
Hello

I have only one place that I

Old 03-05-2004, 10:08 PM
Shirl

"Oxymel_of_Squill" wrote in message
well it's the best on offer innit? My greenhouse (I'm in Wisbech, is that
Midlands too?) is a lean-to in a corner between south and east walls and
gets direct sun only until about midday but it has been ver hot in there

and
things (from tomatoes to highland nepenthes) grow happily.

You get sun until midday?? I can only dream of such luxury!! :-)

Well it wasnt very hot at all in my greenhouse today, maybe 15c'ish but
nothing you could call 'hot' I've went down to check on it as the sun went
down and it was only about 9 c.

Im assuming its got to be better than growing outdoors because theres not
the cold wind and of course its still warming up outside so my greenhouse
will get warmer as summer comes, well thats my theory anyway, I just hope
some of you ppl can reassure me!

Thanks again

Old 03-05-2004, 10:09 PM
shazzbat

"Shirl" wrote in message
[...]

The primary function of a greenhouse is to protect your plants/seedlings
from frost/heavy rain/wind. Seems to me like a shaded one will do that, with
the added bonus of not needing to shade it in summer.

I've said it before and I'll say it again- a greenhouse anywhere is better
than no greenhouse.

Of course if what it's shaded by is trees, you're going to have to watch out
for twigs/branches/conkers or whatever falling off the trees.

Steve

Old 03-05-2004, 11:08 PM
Kay Easton

In article , Shirl terter67@best
forgetthisbithotmail.com writes
Hello

I have only one place that I can put a greenhouse in my garden, however its
in the shade for most of the time. I live in the midlands and its been
lovely and sunny today, however I think I had about half an hour the whole
day when the sun actually managed to shine onto the greenhouse :-/

Im hoping this will change as the sun gets higher in the sky but is it
possible to get good growth in shaded conditions or should I just give it
up? I've got tomatoes, lettuce, spring onions etc in there as from
Saturday. I had the plants growing nicely in my house until then but
decided that the greenhouse must be better than the limited sun that comes
in through a window.

I dont have anywhere outside the greenhouse to plant my veggies either so
its shady greenhouse or back to buying from Tesco.

I wouldn't worry too much. What you have got is the shelter and warmth
of indoors (almost ;-) ) combined with the light levels of outdoors.
Most people find they have to shade their greenhouse in the summer to
avoid the temperature going sky high - you at least won't have that
bother!

--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:

Old 04-05-2004, 12:11 AM
Shirl

"Kay Easton" wrote in message

I wouldn't worry too much. What you have got is the shelter and warmth
of indoors (almost ;-) ) combined with the light levels of outdoors.
Most people find they have to shade their greenhouse in the summer to
avoid the temperature going sky high - you at least won't have that
bother!

--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:

Well thankyou everyone, I certainly feel better about my greenhouse site
now. I had tried to do a little research on the web but that only says to
site your greenhouse in good light and doesnt actually mention the ppl who
dont have this luxury!

It is mainly huge trees that surround my garden that blocks out most of the
light so things should improve in a month or so.

I've seen lots of sites where people have had to cover their greenhouse with
shadecloth, so I guess I should be grateful really lol!

I was rather concerned about the lack of heat at night, worried that the
plants may perish if its too cold, but I am bringing my cucumber indoors on
an evening as that is only about ten inches high at the moment. Also I will
wait to take my pepper plant outside as that is only an inch or so high and
im sure it would climb back inside the seed with the cold ha ha

Thanks again for the reassurance :-)

Old 04-05-2004, 09:02 AM
Raymond RUSSELL

Hello

I think that temperature is critical for germination e.g. tomatoes;
I usually do this bit indoors;
after that a shady greenhouse is fine so long as it protects from frost.

My 2penceworth, Ray

Old 04-05-2004, 11:08 PM
Shirl

"Raymond RUSSELL" wrote in message
Hello

I think that temperature is critical for germination e.g. tomatoes;
I usually do this bit indoors;
after that a shady greenhouse is fine so long as it protects from frost.

My 2penceworth, Ray

Thanks for that, yes I started my plants in the house too. Looks like the
greenhouse is a go-er then, brilliant!

Good plants for shaded areas? Robert North Carolina 16 01-04-2004 08:26 PM
Need suggestion for fragant flower in shaded area JNJ Gardening 3 03-07-2003 11:20 AM
REQ info on mossy, shaded lawn klein Hansen Gardening 1 11-05-2003 06:56 AM
Grass for shaded area Crystal Texas 1 01-05-2003 04:32 AM
Recs for shrubs? shaded, clay soil... Jaffacake United Kingdom 2 28-11-2002 12:21 AM