Old 12-05-2004, 09:07 AM
Franz Heymann

Default horseradish

"Jaques d'Alltrades" wrote in
message k...
The message
from "Franz Heymann" contains

these words:

What will it be like in, say, a 9" pot?

Short? How about in a longer piece of plastic drain pipe?

How long are those roots then?

Three or four feet.

Hell's delight

Franz

Old 12-05-2004, 09:08 AM
Franz Heymann

"Jaques d'Alltrades" wrote in
message k...
The message
from "Franz Heymann" contains

these words:

What will it be like in, say, a 9" pot?

Rather cramped....

Unless that 4 ft root finds the drainage hole?

Franz

Old 12-05-2004, 10:15 AM
martin

On Wed, 12 May 2004 07:59:15 +0000 (UTC), "Franz Heymann"
wrote:

"Jaques d'Alltrades" wrote in
message k...
The message
from "Franz Heymann" contains

these words:

I don't think we will eat enough horseradish in all of our

remaining
years to warrant anything like it.
We'll just have to go on buying it at the grocer. {:-))

Have you tried it as a root vegetable?

No.
How do you prepare it?
What does it taste like?
Does the preparation get rid of the bite?
Does it have any after effects?

Whilst googling for something else a couple of weeks ago I saw
Horseradish was on a list of poisonous plants.

Is horseradish the same as "radi" radish sold in Bavarian beer halls
and festivals in spirals? If so the application of salt removes the
bite.
Old 12-05-2004, 10:23 AM
martin

On Wed, 12 May 2004 07:59:16 +0000 (UTC), "Franz Heymann"
wrote:

"Jaques d'Alltrades" wrote in
message k...
The message
from "Franz Heymann" contains

these words:

What will it be like in, say, a 9" pot?

Short? How about in a longer piece of plastic drain pipe?

How long are those roots then?

Three or four feet.

Hell's delight

they've doubled in size in two days too
Old 12-05-2004, 12:09 PM
Rick

On Tue, 11 May 2004 12:10:52 GMT, Frogleg wrote:

On Sun, 9 May 2004 19:33:43 +0100, "Dan Welch"
wrote:

I'd like to grow horseradish but have never seen plants / seeds for sale.
Any ideas where I might be able to get hold of one or the other?

If you have access to any fresh horseradish root, just cut a chunk and
bury. As others have posted, it is *extremely* invasive, so should be
confined in a pot. Mine grew a shoot through a side drain-hole, which
then took root in a pavement crack.

Now, I have just has an idea.

Just over the road from me, on the common. a large patch of Japanese
Knotweed has appeared.

If I planted some Horseradish in the middle of the infestation. Who
would win?

Rick....

Old 12-05-2004, 03:07 PM
Gary Woods

Rick wrote:

If I planted some Horseradish in the middle of the infestation. Who
would win?

Sounds like the basis for a bad Japanese monster movie.
Think "Godzilla vs. Mothra."

Old 12-05-2004, 06:14 PM
Frogleg

On 12 May 2004 05:48:14 -0500, Rick wrote:

Now, I have just has an idea.

Just over the road from me, on the common. a large patch of Japanese
Knotweed has appeared.

If I planted some Horseradish in the middle of the infestation. Who
would win?

The problem with invasive plants is that they *don't* crowd each other
out. Vinca, honeysuckle (vine), wild grape, mint and ivy all coexist
in great profusion in my back yard (garden).
Old 13-05-2004, 02:06 PM
RichardS

wrote:

I'd like to grow horseradish but have never seen plants / seeds for

sale.
Any ideas where I might be able to get hold of one or the other?

If you have access to any fresh horseradish root, just cut a chunk and
bury. As others have posted, it is *extremely* invasive, so should be
confined in a pot. Mine grew a shoot through a side drain-hole, which
then took root in a pavement crack.

Now, I have just has an idea.

Just over the road from me, on the common. a large patch of Japanese
Knotweed has appeared.

If I planted some Horseradish in the middle of the infestation. Who
would win?

Rick....

Prolly combine into a new menace - Japanese Knotradish - and invade the
nation....

(yeah, I know this defies botanical science, but hey some of us like to get
our kicks from fantasising about new monster plants :-) )

--
Richard Sampson

email me at
richard at olifant d-ot co do-t uk

Old 13-05-2004, 02:08 PM
RichardS

"Franz Heymann" wrote in message

"RichardS" noaccess@invalid wrote in message
. ..

snip

Last weekend I lifted it again (careful not dig well under and

around it)
and re-planted it in a full-size-cheapo-wickes-dustbin (minus the

bottom,
cut out for drainage) that I'd just sunk in the ground.

I don't think we will eat enough horseradish in all of our remaining
years to warrant anything like it.
We'll just have to go on buying it at the grocer. {:-))

Franz

My wife's ability to consume vast amounts of horseradish has to be seen to
be believed. Hotter the better as well it seems.

hoping the fresh stuff is potent enough to keep her happy, and that her
appitite is voracious enough to keep the plant in check...

:-)

Old 16-05-2004, 12:10 PM
Roy Bailey

In article , Dan Welch
writes
Hello,
I'd like to grow horseradish but have never seen plants / seeds for sale.
Any ideas where I might be able to get hold of one or the other?
All help appreciated
cheers
dan

Where are you located?
--
Roy Bailey
West Berkshire.

Old 16-05-2004, 12:10 PM
gcroft

Roy Bailey wrote:

In article , Dan Welch
writes
Hello,
I'd like to grow horseradish but have never seen plants / seeds for sale.
Any ideas where I might be able to get hold of one or the other?
All help appreciated
cheers
dan

Where are you located?

I found a supply in a chain of shops called wilkinsons normally this time of
year or earlier you will get a root cutting which quickly multiplies

Cheers

Gary
Old 17-05-2004, 04:13 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Franz Heymann" contains these words:

No.
How do you prepare it?

Peel it and either boil it or roast it round meat like parsnips. You
might need to wear gogles while preparing it......

What does it taste like?

How do you describe an unique flavour? (It's years since I had it as a
vegetable.)

Does the preparation get rid of the bite?

The worst of it.

Does it have any after effects?

If, by 'after', you mean the 'after' effects of chillis, no.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old 17-05-2004, 04:15 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from Rick contains these words:

Now, I have just has an idea.

Just over the road from me, on the common. a large patch of Japanese
Knotweed has appeared.

If I planted some Horseradish in the middle of the infestation. Who
would win?

The Knotweed.

Old 17-05-2004, 04:17 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from Frogleg contains these words:

On 12 May 2004 05:48:14 -0500, Rick wrote:

Now, I have just has an idea.

Just over the road from me, on the common. a large patch of Japanese
Knotweed has appeared.

If I planted some Horseradish in the middle of the infestation. Who
would win?

The problem with invasive plants is that they *don't* crowd each other
out. Vinca, honeysuckle (vine), wild grape, mint and ivy all coexist
in great profusion in my back yard (garden).

But Knotweed will shade-out even persistent weeds.

Old 17-05-2004, 04:18 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Franz Heymann" contains these words:
"Jaques d'Alltrades" wrote in
message k...
The message
from "Franz Heymann" contains

these words:

What will it be like in, say, a 9" pot?

Short? How about in a longer piece of plastic drain pipe?

How long are those roots then?

Three or four feet.

Hell's delight

'Swhat makes Hell so hot.....

Horseradish Tree Gae Xavier Texas 18 09-10-2005 08:45 AM
Horseradish again karen United Kingdom 2 07-05-2003 08:56 PM
Help, re horseradish karen United Kingdom 7 06-05-2003 11:20 PM
Horseradish growing ED ROGERS United Kingdom 3 03-05-2003 05:20 AM
Horseradish... Mungo \two sheds\ Toadfoot United Kingdom 8 03-03-2003 11:42 PM