Old 09-05-2004, 09:08 PM
Dan Welch

Default horseradish

Hello,
I'd like to grow horseradish but have never seen plants / seeds for sale.
Any ideas where I might be able to get hold of one or the other?
All help appreciated
cheers
dan

Old 09-05-2004, 11:07 PM
Bob Hobden

"Dan Welch" wrote in message ,
I'd like to grow horseradish but have never seen plants / seeds for sale.
Any ideas where I might be able to get hold of one or the other?
All help appreciated
cheers

Careful Dan, it can take over and is difficult to dig out, it having such
long roots. Planted it once but I would think seriously before I did it
again.
Probably be OK in an island bed surrounded by grass which gets cut so it
can't invade.

--
Regards
Bob

Use a useful Screen Saver...
http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/
and find intelligent life amongst the stars

Old 10-05-2004, 09:05 PM
Franz Heymann

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

"Dan Welch" wrote in message ,
I'd like to grow horseradish but have never seen plants / seeds

for sale.
Any ideas where I might be able to get hold of one or the other?
All help appreciated
cheers

Careful Dan, it can take over and is difficult to dig out, it having

such
long roots. Planted it once but I would think seriously before I did

it
again.
Probably be OK in an island bed surrounded by grass which gets cut

so it
can't invade.

What will it be like in, say, a 9" pot?

Franz

Old 10-05-2004, 11:10 PM
Franz Heymann

"martin" wrote in message
On Mon, 10 May 2004 19:15:22 +0000 (UTC), "Franz Heymann"
wrote:

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

"Dan Welch" wrote in message ,
I'd like to grow horseradish but have never seen plants / seeds

for sale.
Any ideas where I might be able to get hold of one or the

other?
All help appreciated
cheers

Careful Dan, it can take over and is difficult to dig out, it

having
such
long roots. Planted it once but I would think seriously before I

did
it
again.
Probably be OK in an island bed surrounded by grass which gets

cut
so it
can't invade.

What will it be like in, say, a 9" pot?

Short? How about in a longer piece of plastic drain pipe?

How long are those roots then?

Franz

Old 11-05-2004, 02:14 AM
RichardS

wrote:

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

"Dan Welch" wrote in message ,
[...]

I've read about 2ft.

3 weeks ago I got hold of 2 horseradish plants. Put it in a bed in a
not-much-used corner of my allotment.

Did some reading up about it.....

Last weekend I lifted it again (careful not dig well under and around it)
and re-planted it in a full-size-cheapo-wickes-dustbin (minus the bottom,
cut out for drainage) that I'd just sunk in the ground.

--
Richard Sampson

email me at
richard at olifant d-ot co do-t uk

Old 11-05-2004, 10:30 AM
martin

wrote:

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

"Dan Welch" wrote in message ,
[...]

that was about what I thought.

I did a lot of googling, but couldn't find a site that gave the size
of the root, although several sites gave the size of the plant above
ground.

3 weeks ago I got hold of 2 horseradish plants. Put it in a bed in a
not-much-used corner of my allotment.

Did some reading up about it.....

Last weekend I lifted it again (careful not dig well under and around it)
and re-planted it in a full-size-cheapo-wickes-dustbin (minus the bottom,
cut out for drainage) that I'd just sunk in the ground.

:-)
Old 11-05-2004, 02:13 PM
Frogleg

On Sun, 9 May 2004 19:33:43 +0100, "Dan Welch"
wrote:

I'd like to grow horseradish but have never seen plants / seeds for sale.
Any ideas where I might be able to get hold of one or the other?

If you have access to any fresh horseradish root, just cut a chunk and
bury. As others have posted, it is *extremely* invasive, so should be
confined in a pot. Mine grew a shoot through a side drain-hole, which
then took root in a pavement crack.
Old 11-05-2004, 03:13 PM
Franz Heymann

. ..

wrote:

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

"Dan Welch" wrote in message ,
[...]

I don't think we will eat enough horseradish in all of our remaining
years to warrant anything like it.
We'll just have to go on buying it at the grocer. {:-))

Franz

Old 11-05-2004, 09:05 PM
martin

wrote:

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

"Dan Welch" wrote in message ,
[...]

be careful not to chuck leftovers in the garden :-)

Old 11-05-2004, 11:14 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Bob Hobden" contains these words:

Careful Dan, it can take over and is difficult to dig out, it having such
long roots. Planted it once but I would think seriously before I did it
again.
Probably be OK in an island bed surrounded by grass which gets cut so it
can't invade.

Make some drainage holes in a plastic dustbin, fill with a peaty
compost, and plant them in that. They don't escape, and are easy to
harvest and then start a new clone.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old 11-05-2004, 11:16 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Franz Heymann" contains these words:

What will it be like in, say, a 9" pot?

Rather cramped....

Old 11-05-2004, 11:18 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Franz Heymann" contains these words:

I don't think we will eat enough horseradish in all of our remaining
years to warrant anything like it.
We'll just have to go on buying it at the grocer. {:-))

Have you tried it as a root vegetable?

Old 11-05-2004, 11:19 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Franz Heymann" contains these words:

What will it be like in, say, a 9" pot?

Short? How about in a longer piece of plastic drain pipe?

How long are those roots then?

Three or four feet.

Old 12-05-2004, 09:06 AM
Franz Heymann

"Jaques d'Alltrades" wrote in
message k...
The message
from "Franz Heymann" contains

these words:

I don't think we will eat enough horseradish in all of our

remaining
years to warrant anything like it.
We'll just have to go on buying it at the grocer. {:-))

Have you tried it as a root vegetable?

No.
How do you prepare it?
What does it taste like?
Does the preparation get rid of the bite?
Does it have any after effects?

Franz

Horseradish Tree Gae Xavier Texas 18 09-10-2005 08:45 AM
Horseradish again karen United Kingdom 2 07-05-2003 08:56 PM
Help, re horseradish karen United Kingdom 7 06-05-2003 11:20 PM
Horseradish growing ED ROGERS United Kingdom 3 03-05-2003 05:20 AM
Horseradish... Mungo \two sheds\ Toadfoot United Kingdom 8 03-03-2003 11:42 PM