Old 18-05-2004, 11:02 PM
Rosie

Default Hawk's beard

This seems to have taken over two of my borders.

What's the best way of getting rid of it? Do I need to dig up the whole
root?

I'm knackered already and I've barely done a small patch of it!

ROSIE

Old 19-05-2004, 01:05 PM
Franz Heymann

"Rosie" wrote in message
This seems to have taken over two of my borders.

What's the best way of getting rid of it? Do I need to dig up the

whole
root?

I'm knackered already and I've barely done a small patch of it!

What is Hawk's beard?

Franz

Old 19-05-2004, 05:14 PM
Kay Easton

In article , Franz Heymann
writes

"Rosie" wrote in message
This seems to have taken over two of my borders.

What's the best way of getting rid of it? Do I need to dig up the

whole
root?

I'm knackered already and I've barely done a small patch of it!

What is Hawk's beard?

Crepis.

A genus of dandelion look-alikes.
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
Old 20-05-2004, 08:13 AM
Franz Heymann

"Kay Easton" wrote in message
In article , Franz Heymann
writes

"Rosie" wrote in message
This seems to have taken over two of my borders.

What's the best way of getting rid of it? Do I need to dig up

the
whole
root?

I'm knackered already and I've barely done a small patch of it!

What is Hawk's beard?

Crepis.

A genus of dandelion look-alikes.

Thanks, Kay. The popular name does not occur in any of my six books
on wild flowers. It is a strongly localised name?

Franz

Old 20-05-2004, 01:10 PM
Kay Easton

In article , Franz Heymann
writes

"Kay Easton" wrote in message
In article , Franz Heymann
writes

"Rosie" wrote in message
This seems to have taken over two of my borders.

What's the best way of getting rid of it? Do I need to dig up

the
whole
root?

I'm knackered already and I've barely done a small patch of it!

What is Hawk's beard?

Crepis.

A genus of dandelion look-alikes.

Thanks, Kay. The popular name does not occur in any of my six books
on wild flowers. It is a strongly localised name?

I don't think so. It's in Fitter, Fitter and Blamey, also in Stace,
which is the standard flora for the British Isles.

If you are interested in wild flowers enough to have 6 books, then I'd
very much recommend wild Flowers of Britain and Northern Europe, Fitter,
Fitter and Blamey, pub Collins. Comprehensive, excellent illustrations.
£14.99 but a lot cheaper through Amazon. Or earlier editions second
hand. Or for £2 more you can get the larger sized Wild Flowers of
Britain and Ireland by the same combination of authors in a different
permutation which also has distribution maps - very handy to aid
identification if you're looking at a whole page of white crucifers, for
example ;-)

It seems a sad fact of flower spotting that whatever you're looking at
is always the one and only common species on the page ;-)
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:

Old 21-05-2004, 02:16 AM
Franz Heymann

"Kay Easton" wrote in message
In article , Franz Heymann
writes

"Kay Easton" wrote in message
In article , Franz Heymann
writes

"Rosie" wrote in message
[...]

As usual, your advice is appreciated. However, I inadvertently lied
in my previous post. I have 7 books on wild flowers. The seventh one
is in fact Fitter & Fitter. It was lying, all forgotten, in the car,
where it is most usually needed. And in fact it does have no fewer
than 8 species of Hawksbeard. {:-(

It seems a sad fact of flower spotting that whatever you're looking

at
is always the one and only common species on the page ;-)

Unfortunately that is almost always true

As a small ot remark: That Helxine you so kindly let me have last
year is thriving and expanding gratifyingly.

Franz

Old 21-05-2004, 10:11 AM
Kay Easton

In article , Franz Heymann
writes

As a small ot remark: That Helxine you so kindly let me have last
year is thriving and expanding gratifyingly.

Good :-)
It should like your cool damp valley :-)

--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
Old 23-05-2004, 08:24 AM
Chris

:
: What's the best way of getting rid of it? Do I need to dig up the whole
: root?
:
: I'm knackered already and I've barely done a small patch of it!
:
: ROSIE
:

Would that be the Smooth, Beaked, Marsh, Orange, Leafy, Mouse Ear, or Alpine
Hawksbeard?

Courtesy of "Wild Flowers" by Peter D Moore, and this is the idiots guide.

Old 23-05-2004, 08:24 AM
Chris

"Franz Heymann"

: As usual, your advice is appreciated. However, I inadvertently lied
: in my previous post. I have 7 books on wild flowers. The seventh one
: is in fact Fitter & Fitter. It was lying, all forgotten, in the car,
: where it is most usually needed. And in fact it does have no fewer
: than 8 species of Hawksbeard. {:-(
:

Damn, mine has only got 7 species, and its the only book I have on wild
flowers

Old 23-05-2004, 11:12 PM
Franz Heymann

"Chris" wrote in message

"Franz Heymann"

: As usual, your advice is appreciated. However, I inadvertently

lied
: in my previous post. I have 7 books on wild flowers. The seventh

one
: is in fact Fitter & Fitter. It was lying, all forgotten, in the

car,
: where it is most usually needed. And in fact it does have no

fewer
: than 8 species of Hawksbeard. {:-(
:

Damn, mine has only got 7 species, and its the only book I have on

wild
flowers

I've done a recount. I still make it 8, to wit, the following are in
the index:
Beaked
Bristly
French
Marsh
Northern
Rough
Smooth
Stinking
If you look them up in the body of the book, there are actually more
than 8 listed. Only 8 appear to have common names.
And to be honest, I haven't found "Smooth" named as such except in the
appendic of common names.

Franz

Old 23-05-2004, 11:14 PM
Franz Heymann

"Chris" wrote in message

"Rosie" wrote in message
: This seems to have taken over two of my borders.
:
: What's the best way of getting rid of it? Do I need to dig up the

whole
: root?
:
: I'm knackered already and I've barely done a small patch of it!
:
: ROSIE
:

Would that be the Smooth, Beaked, Marsh, Orange, Leafy, Mouse Ear,

or Alpine
Hawksbeard?

So much for folk names. The 8 I listed have only 3 names in common
with your 7.

Old 24-05-2004, 01:11 AM
Chris

"Franz Heymann"

:
: I've done a recount. I still make it 8, to wit, the following are in
: the index:
: Beaked
: Bristly
: French
: Marsh
: Northern
: Rough
: Smooth
: Stinking
: If you look them up in the body of the book, there are actually more
: than 8 listed. Only 8 appear to have common names.
: And to be honest, I haven't found "Smooth" named as such except in the
: appendic of common names.
:

I've just done a check and it appears I have made a blunder, looking at the
illustrations again I now have only 3 "Hawksbeard", thats the;
Smooth
Beaked
Marsh

I got them mixed up with and included the "Hawkweed" species which are,
Orange
Leafy
Mouse Ear
Alpine.

I have also found a "Rough Hawkbit" species.

Looking at the index gives me the same info, I must have gone crosseyed and
counted everything that began with hawk, what book are you using?, I need to
get a more comprehensive guide.

Old 24-05-2004, 09:08 AM
Kay Easton

In article 5Ibsc.321$MU2.156@newsfe4-gui, Chris
writes

.

Looking at the index gives me the same info, I must have gone crosseyed and
counted everything that began with hawk, what book are you using?, I need to
get a more comprehensive guide.

I recommended a couple of books further back in this thread, both
excellent. Franz is using one of them (though probably not the latest
edition)
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
Old 24-05-2004, 11:16 PM
Franz Heymann

"Chris" wrote in message

"Franz Heymann"

:
[...]

Wild Flowers of Britain and Northern Europe by Richard & Alastair
Fitter, Illustrated by Marjorie Blamey, published by Collins.
It is a must if you are interested in wild flowers.

Franz

Old 24-05-2004, 11:18 PM
Franz Heymann

"Kay Easton" wrote in message
In article 5Ibsc.321$MU2.156@newsfe4-gui, Chris
writes

I've just done a check and it appears I have made a blunder,

looking at the
illustrations again I now have only 3 "Hawksbeard", thats the;
Smooth
Beaked
Marsh
.

Looking at the index gives me the same info, I must have gone

crosseyed and
counted everything that began with hawk, what book are you using?,

I need to
get a more comprehensive guide.

I recommended a couple of books further back in this thread, both
excellent. Franz is using one of them (though probably not the

latest
edition)

Mine is the 4th ed, 1985.

Franz