Old 26-05-2004, 12:05 AM
tuin man

Default chelsea

Just back from a very pleasant afternoon at the flower show and thought it
might be an idea to warn of the crowded ques resulting from increased
security measures.

There was a lot of moaning amongst the crowds and several people were
wondering out loud how else might the RHS have done to avoid such mayhem.
Not a lot I 'm inclined to think. They seemed to be trying all sorts of
detours and so forth, but to no avail.
The real solution, if it can be classed as such, would have been for the RHS
to behave like an airport and warn customers of the need to arrive at least
one hour beforehand.
My ticket was for 3;30, but I was lucky to get in just before 5pm.
So, I suggest that if you're heading that way be prepared, with at least a
small bottle of water, or you'll end up dehydrated and once in, having to
suspend your adventure to search out the drinks stall, off which there are
very few in comparison to the amount of (excellent) ice-cream stalls ... and
unlike the ice-cream stalls, no bottled-water anyway near the entrance.

Other than that I found 2 show gardens that I kept having to re-visit. I
was fascinated by the National lottery garden (Diarmuid Gavin's) and a tiny
little thing hidden away behind the picnic areas (so I guess not strictly a
"show garden") ; Into the light ; by Alex Trotman.
You might want to like the colour yellow for that one.
Diarmuids garden is inclined to evoke a smile and on closer inspection, the
planting design is superb.
Just remember ... it may take longer to get in then you might be expecting.

Patrick

Old 26-05-2004, 09:08 AM
good golly miss Molly

"tuin man" wrote in message
[...]

Is that the salvation army one?
The name sounds familiar.

Old 26-05-2004, 10:13 AM
Lazarus Cooke

In article , tuin man
wrote:

Diarmuids garden is inclined to evoke a smile and on closer inspection, the
planting design is superb.

I haven't seen it, but watching the tv series - particularly last
night's conclusion - I got this impression. All the attention of the tv
was on the creation of the baubles, but one got the increasing
impression that the garden was really a very fine piece of planting,
which we barely saw discussed.

Lazarus

--
Remover the rock from the email address
Old 26-05-2004, 05:27 PM
Jeannie

"Lazarus Cooke" wrote in message
om...
All the attention of the tv
was on the creation of the baubles, but one got the increasing
impression that the garden was really a very fine piece of planting,
which we barely saw discussed.

Lazarus

I agree. Despite the fact that I can't stand the man (Diarmund or whatever
his name is), I thought that the
planting looked lovely from what I saw of it. He generally does that
though, gets some lovely plants and then ruins the whole thing with some
concrete monstrosity. Shame

Jeannie

Old 26-05-2004, 06:15 PM
tuin man

"good golly miss Molly" wrote in message

"tuin man" wrote in message

sniped

and a
tiny
little thing hidden away behind the picnic areas (so I guess not

strictly
"show garden") ; Into the light ; by Alex Trotman.

Is that the salvation army one?
The name sounds familiar.

No, I guess with a name like that it should have being (-:.
Without reading the leaflet I could see that it was created to look like how
it might, if a giant beam of (yellowish) light were pointing straight down
on it.
What was created mimics such an effect , but without the need for
electricity, batteries, solar power etc.
There seemed to be no bit, including the fence that was not included in this
imaginary shaft of light exposure.
The radiance of colour does not follow a presumed form and that was
interesting because of how it worked all the better for not doing so. It was
as much art as garden.

Patrick

Old 26-05-2004, 06:15 PM
tuin man

wrote:

Diarmuids garden is inclined to evoke a smile and on closer inspection,

the
planting design is superb.

I haven't seen it, but watching the tv series - particularly last
night's conclusion - I got this impression. All the attention of the tv
was on the creation of the baubles, but one got the increasing
impression that the garden was really a very fine piece of planting,
which we barely saw discussed.

Lazarus

--
Remover the rock from the email address

Not wishing to be to picky, it was the design of the planting and not the
planting itself to which I was referring to as superb.
Overall, I thought the garden a masterpiece and it takes quite a bit of
talent to employ a ludicrous gimmick which fails to detract from the rest to
the point of redundancy.
I think, in my own case, it was the physiological effects of colour that
evoked a smile rather than the comicality of the piece.
I now wished I had seen the programme about it.
To me it was very similar to the Burren (west of Ireland)
I'm not saying I couldn't find fault with certain aspects of the piece, eg,
the irrigation was set to a point which if continued for much longer would
be the main force in selecting which plants would remain 1 year on. Also, in
nature much of the planting would not remain so pristine and as for the
grass continuing to grow evenly were it passes under the concrete... well
dream-on Diarmuid unless there are a few grow-lights installed (-:.
However in terms of composition... inclusive of the gimmick I would have had
no problem whatsoever in giving it the gold.

Patrick

Old 26-05-2004, 06:17 PM
tuin man

"Victoria Clare" wrote in message
.218...
..

It seemed a pity to me that because they wanted to keep up the suspense,
the 'real' gardeners were prohibited from interviewing the designer on the
earlier program. I suspect they would have asked more pertinent

questions.

Which most likely he couldn't answer. So how is that different from any
other "Garden" Designer?

Patrick

Old 26-05-2004, 06:24 PM

In article , Lazarus
Cooke writes
In article , tuin man
wrote:

Diarmuids garden is inclined to evoke a smile and on closer inspection, the
planting design is superb.

I haven't seen it, but watching the tv series - particularly last
night's conclusion - I got this impression. All the attention of the tv
was on the creation of the baubles, but one got the increasing
impression that the garden was really a very fine piece of planting,
which we barely saw discussed.

It was fun watching the battle between the gardening ego's, talk about
handbags at dawn!
--
David
Old 26-05-2004, 07:08 PM
Victoria Clare

"tuin man" wrote in
:

.

It seemed a pity to me that because they wanted to keep up the
suspense, the 'real' gardeners were prohibited from interviewing the
designer on the earlier program. I suspect they would have asked
more pertinent

questions.

Which most likely he couldn't answer. So how is that different from
any other "Garden" Designer?

Sorry, I don't understand you. Are you suggesting you think the planting
was actually done by someone else (perhaps someone more talented?) and that
therefore any interview with Gavin would be redundant?

Victoria
--
gardening on a north-facing hill
in South-East Cornwall
Old 26-05-2004, 10:15 PM
tuin man

"Victoria Clare" wrote in message
.206...
"tuin man" wrote in
:

"Victoria Clare" wrote in message
.218...
.

It seemed a pity to me that because they wanted to keep up the
suspense, the 'real' gardeners were prohibited from interviewing the
designer on the earlier program. I suspect they would have asked
more pertinent

questions.

Which most likely he couldn't answer. So how is that different from
any other "Garden" Designer?

Sorry, I don't understand you. Are you suggesting you think the planting
was actually done by someone else (perhaps someone more talented?) and

that
therefore any interview with Gavin would be redundant?

No, though I would not expect he planted and did every last little
thing.Besides, that said, how much more talented would one have to be to dig
a hole and plant right way up.
Mind you... I do recall working for a certain firm who ran into a wee
problem in that area, though it has to be said in no way nearly as large a
problem as one of our compeditors.
It was circa 1982 and they (the competion) had won a contract involving
£250k worth of planting. Nice one. Onto that, was the fact that the builders
had left the site in such good condition that no preparation was needed
apart from dig the hole and put the plant in. No doubt a fact which was
probably pointed out by their boss as he dropped of his 8-12 man team to do
the planting.
Then an odd thing happened around July of that year. The whole lot started
to die. It turned out that the planters having probably listened to the;
'look lads, all you have to do is dig a hole and stick 'em in' ...kind of
instruction... did not know they should remove pot before planting.

Which brings me smoothly to a question for you; what did you mean by "more
pertinent questions"?

Patrick

Victoria

Old 26-05-2004, 10:17 PM
PK

tuin man wrote:
and as for the grass continuing to grow evenly
were it passes under the concrete... well dream-on Diarmuid unless
there are a few grow-lights installed (-:.

look carefully at his tv gardens and you will find exactly the same issue:
Gradens designed for the final shot/the judges visit with the longer term
ignored.
7
that's ok for Chelsea but on tv faults such as:
lawn runnning under decking, lawn running up to walls with no mowing srtip,
lawn up to the trunks of trees make me cringe!

pk

Old 26-05-2004, 10:18 PM
PK

tuin man wrote:
. The whole lot
started to die. It turned out that the planters having probably
listened to the; 'look lads, all you have to do is dig a hole and
stick 'em in' ...kind of instruction... did not know they should
remove pot before planting.

Ha! Specs need to have "green side up" for turf if you want it done right!
]
pk

Old 26-05-2004, 11:21 PM
Franz Heymann

wrote:

[...]

I have to disagree. The garden was very well designed and executed,
with the exception of the coloured baubles. Without them, it would
actually have deserved the prize it was awarded.
What are we to expect in a modern garden, an unmade bed (of the
sleeping-on type)?

[snip]

Franz

Old 27-05-2004, 12:19 AM
Victoria Clare

"tuin man" wrote in
:

Which brings me smoothly to a question for you; what did you mean by
"more pertinent questions"?

More pertinent to planting or design than the questions asked by the
interviewer later in the day. He was more interested in finance and
manufacturing processes. There was little asked about the planting.

Victoria
Old 27-05-2004, 03:14 AM
Stan The Man

In article . 23,
Victoria Clare wrote:

"tuin man" wrote in
:

Which brings me smoothly to a question for you; what did you mean by
"more pertinent questions"?

More pertinent to planting or design than the questions asked by the
interviewer later in the day. He was more interested in finance and
manufacturing processes. There was little asked about the planting.

Possibly at Diurmuid's own request since he is not a plantsman and
would soon show his ignorance. His designs are about colour, form and
texture and invariably the plants are an afterthought -- usually
someone else's.

Simon