Old 01-06-2004, 10:05 PM
Franz Heymann

Default Cilantro

"Alan Gould" wrote in message
In article , Janet

Baraclough.
. writes
From the charter;

"In the absence of more appropriate, geographically specific

newsgroups,
discussion of gardening in Eire, the Channel Islands and the Isle

of Man
will also be welcome. Because there are climatic, legal, cultural

and
other differences, discussion of
gardening in other parts of the world is OFF TOPIC (there are other
regional gardening newsgroups, and the global rec.gardens, one of

which
may be more appropriate)"

Yes, we knew that six years ago. Gardening is a global recreation

and
the Internet is global inter-communication. Discussions between
gardeners world-wide will take place whatever urg charter says.

Folk from outside the UK who want to discuss gardening as applicable
to the UK climate and UK gardening culture are very welcome in urg.
Other outsiders are gate crashers.
Gate crashers should be reminded that they are unwelcome. If we do
not remain vigilant about that, urg will become indistinguishable from
any other American dominated newsgroup.

Franz

Old 01-06-2004, 10:08 PM
Franz Heymann

Default urg restricted? Was -- Cilantro

"Frogleg" wrote in message
On Sun, 30 May 2004 21:55:39 +0100, Janet Baraclough..
wrote:

I'm sorry, but the charter of this newsgroup is to discuss

gardening
in UK conditions. It isn't appropriate for you and Frogleg to use
uk.rec.gardening to discuss growing cilantro in Japan and America.

I've never before been told that urg had a geographical fence around
it. The idea that plants behave differently in your country than

they
do in mine is certainly a new one.

Of course plants behave differently here from the way they behave in
the US. Have you never heard of climatic and weather differences?
And we have different apparatus, materials and chemicals in this
country, as well as different shops.

Don't they start with seeds and
cuttings there?
Require light and water? Suffer in drought or deluge?

Don't be disingenuous. It shows.

Until now, I have enjoyed reading of gardening concerns and methods

in
the UK,

I am glad that you recognise that thereare indeed gardening concerns
and methods in the UK which might differ from their counterparts in
the US

and have, I hope, been able to offer some useful information
on topics I am familiar with. And, until now, I have felt welcome.

THat is quite true.
You would remain welcome as long as you fully understand and comply
with the charter of urg.

Franz

Old 01-06-2004, 10:17 PM
Rod

On Tue, 01 Jun 2004 08:37:41 GMT, Frogleg wrote:

I've never before been told that urg had a geographical fence around
it. The idea that plants behave differently in your country than they
do in mine is certainly a new one. Don't they start with seeds and
cuttings there? Require light and water? Suffer in drought or deluge?
Until now, I have enjoyed reading of gardening concerns and methods in
the UK, and have, I hope, been able to offer some useful information
on topics I am familiar with. And, until now, I have felt welcome.

As far as I'm concerned you still are. Without getting too deeply into
URG politics: where the charter is subject to interpretation, I would
rather see it interpreted in an inclusive and tolerant way rather than
an exclusive one. The point being missed by some is that the behaviour
of plants under various conditions, whether different from ours or
similar to ours often sheds valuable clues on how best to deal with
those plants and is therefore relevant to URG. URG belongs to us all
and ultimately the quality and content will depend on the wishes of
the majority of us.

Rod

Weed my email address to reply
Old 01-06-2004, 10:22 PM
Janet Baraclough..

The message
from Alan Gould contains these words:

In article , Janet Baraclough.
. writes
From the charter;

"In the absence of more appropriate, geographically specific newsgroups,
discussion of gardening in Eire, the Channel Islands and the Isle of Man
will also be welcome. Because there are climatic, legal, cultural and
other differences, discussion of
gardening in other parts of the world is OFF TOPIC (there are other
regional gardening newsgroups, and the global rec.gardens, one of which
may be more appropriate)"

Yes, we knew that six years ago.

When you called it rubbish one post ago, perhaps you had forgotten
that it was agreed by the group six years ago.

Janet.

Old 01-06-2004, 10:28 PM
Illogic Bomb

"Franz Heymann" wrote in
:

"Anonymous" wrote in message
On Tue, 1 Jun 2004 12:56:49 +0100, "dave @ stejonda"

wrote:

[Sly X-Post to demon.local removed]

And put back you dozy ****.

In message 1NEYULJQ38139.2976041667@anonymous, Anonymous
writes
You can post anything you want here and you are most welcome.

Why don't you have the courage to post under your own name?

BWAHAHAHA that takes courage does it, using an anon service yourself
too!!!!! You dozy ****ing ****** titturd.

Now **** off, your post is against the charter.

You seem to have a rather limited vocabulary. Did you miss out on
going to school?

Franz

You seem to be rather limited in originality.

--
Phil Kyle, Interweb Leg end

http://philkyle2003.reachme.at/

"Can we put the recent unpleasantness behind us?"

- Craig "Fatboi" Oldfield

Old 01-06-2004, 10:28 PM
Lazarus Cooke

In article , Frogleg
wrote:

My specific faux pas, it seems, was discussing coriander/cilantro.
Whether being growin in the USA, the UK, or Japan, in a greenhouse or
back garden, the growth habit of this plant has certain
characteristics with which I'm all too familiar. I can't see the
offense in mentioning some of these.

I really don't understand your complaint, frogleg. The area the group
covers seems quite clear. urg is unusual in posting a faq very often.
The person who reminded you that your post was OT seemed to do it very
politely.

You seem to have been treated unusually kindly for someone who has
presumably either not bothered about the accepted area that the group
covers, or, less likely, deliberately ignored it.

I do sometimes worry, as someone who was born, but is no longer a uS
citizen, that too many people of my first nationality believe that
everyone else should conform to their rules, but that they need never
bother to conform to anyone else's since theirs are so much better.

What on earth are you complaining about?

Lazarus

--
Remover the rock from the email address

Old 02-06-2004, 12:17 AM
Frogleg

On Tue, 01 Jun 2004 19:19:31 +0100, Sacha
wrote:

On 1/6/04 15:52, in article ,
"Frogleg" wrote:

snip

My specific faux pas, it seems, was discussing coriander/cilantro.
Whether being growin in the USA, the UK, or Japan, in a greenhouse or
back garden, the growth habit of this plant has certain
characteristics with which I'm all too familiar. I can't see the
offense in mentioning some of these.

It's not a question of 'offence', truly. But it is a question of how much
use it can be to UK orientated gardeners, given the light levels and sun
hours that we get in UK. That makes a really enormous difference to when
plants can be started outdoors OR in greenhouses and how long they can
live/flower/survive outdoors etc.

I understand this. However, the question posted and the information
given was scarcely location-dependent. When someone from Herts or
Cornwall posts queries in rec.gardens about local (to them) topics, we
generally point them to urg in a reasonably polite fashion. If they
say "how do you Yanks grow tomatoes?" we let them play with us. We
*don't* shriek "you don't belong here. Go away!" As, indeed, only one
person has done here.

One thing that appears to be *truly* different is an interest in how
things are done and what is grown in "foreign" places. I was very
interested to read of the first appearance of frogs and spring
spawning activities. This *is* occasionally mentioned Over Here, but
many fewer people have and observe natural ponds, and it's not a
common subject. Yet it appears some urglers have no interest
whatsoever about anything beyond their own back garden. My goodness,
imagine if Darwin had posted on his observations!

I don't know where you live but the advice you in, let's say Carolina, give
to someone in, let's say Liverpool will be of no use to that person for all
too many plants.

But I wouldn't *give* climate-dependent advice. BTW, I don't live with
my head in the sand. I *know* conditions in the UK are different than
those in Arizona or California or Maine or Montana. I know something
about northern 'light', having spent 6 weeks in southern Norway in
January. But if someone says "how long should it take tomato seeds to
germinate in a heated propagator, I feel knowledgeable enough to
comment, even 'though the propagator is ever so far away.

So it's no good someone here or in Crete telling someone in Philadelphia
what they can or can't grow.

No? But you wrote snipped that people in Philadelphia can't grow
some things that *will* grow for you because of the severity of
winter. See. You *do* know something useful for a Philadelphia
inquirer.
Old 02-06-2004, 07:10 AM
Alan Gould

In article , Janet Baraclough.
.. writes

When you called it rubbish one post ago, perhaps you had forgotten
that it was agreed by the group six years ago.

The 'rubbish' was your response.
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.

Old 02-06-2004, 08:06 AM
Cerumen

"Jaques d'Alltrades" wrote in message
k...
The message
from "dave @ stejonda" contains these words:

[Sly X-Post to demon.local removed]

In message 1NEYULJQ38139.2976041667@anonymous, Anonymous
writes
You can post anything you want here and you are most welcome.

Why don't you have the courage to post under your own name?

Third-rate troll innit.

Fifth rate at best,

--

Chris Thomas
West Cork

Old 02-06-2004, 12:06 PM
Sacha

wrote:

snip
It's not a question of 'offence', truly. But it is a question of how much
use it can be to UK orientated gardeners, given the light levels and sun
hours that we get in UK. That makes a really enormous difference to when
plants can be started outdoors OR in greenhouses and how long they can
live/flower/survive outdoors etc.

I understand this. However, the question posted and the information
given was scarcely location-dependent. When someone from Herts or
Cornwall posts queries in rec.gardens about local (to them) topics, we
generally point them to urg in a reasonably polite fashion. If they
say "how do you Yanks grow tomatoes?" we let them play with us. We
*don't* shriek "you don't belong here. Go away!" As, indeed, only one
person has done here.

Nobody has done that to you. And if somebody asks us "how do you Brits grow
tomatoes?" we answer them because the question is relevant to the UK, even
if the answer isn't relevant to the US! However, usually the person
replying will say that the answer given may not be of much use to someone
from USA or Australia.

One thing that appears to be *truly* different is an interest in how
things are done and what is grown in "foreign" places. I was very
interested to read of the first appearance of frogs and spring
spawning activities. This *is* occasionally mentioned Over Here, but
many fewer people have and observe natural ponds, and it's not a
common subject. Yet it appears some urglers have no interest
whatsoever about anything beyond their own back garden. My goodness,
imagine if Darwin had posted on his observations!

I think that remark is rather insulting. Many urglers are very widely
travelled and have interests far beyond their own back garden. But as this
group is for UK gardeners and much of its content consists of questions and
answers, it is perfectly correct for us to be discussing our 'own back
gardens'. This doesn't mean we're not interested in gardens elsewhere but
it does mean that the primary thrust of this group is for UK gardeners, not
worldwide gardening.

I don't know where you live but the advice you in, let's say Carolina, give
to someone in, let's say Liverpool will be of no use to that person for all
too many plants.

But I wouldn't *give* climate-dependent advice.

snip

But this isn't all about *you*! This is about a gardening group specific to
the UK. YOU might not give bad advice but others who haven't read the
Charter or the FAQs either, very well might. Pointing out to them that they
would be doing so is not telling them to go away.

So it's no good someone here or in Crete telling someone in Philadelphia
what they can or can't grow.

No? But you wrote snipped that people in Philadelphia can't grow
some things that *will* grow for you because of the severity of
winter. See. You *do* know something useful for a Philadelphia
inquirer.

Hardly. People who live in Philadelphia already know what they can grow.
Why would they ask a UK gardening group what to grow in Philly? There's a
good deal of difference between discussion and advice but that line needs to
be made clear or the difference is all too easily blurred.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 02-06-2004, 12:08 PM
Tim Challenger

On Tue, 01 Jun 2004 14:52:52 GMT, Frogleg wrote:

while one poster is complaining about cold and
rain, another is sunbathing on the lawn.

That's not climate, that's weather. And in the UK, they're probably
neighbours.
--
Tim C.
Old 02-06-2004, 12:09 PM
Tim Challenger

On Wed, 02 Jun 2004 11:41:02 +0100, Sacha wrote:

Yet it appears some urglers have no interest
whatsoever about anything beyond their own back garden. My goodness,
imagine if Darwin had posted on his observations!

Darwin would almost certainly have chosen a relevant NG to post his various
observations in.

I think that remark is rather insulting. Many urglers are very widely
travelled and have interests far beyond their own back garden. But as this
group is for UK gardeners and much of its content consists of questions and
answers, it is perfectly correct for us to be discussing our 'own back
gardens'. This doesn't mean we're not interested in gardens elsewhere but
it does mean that the primary thrust of this group is for UK gardeners, not
worldwide gardening.

Quite right. It's a gardening NG. If I want to discuss pondlife I'd go to
free.uk.nature.ponds or rec.ponds maybe. Or free.uk.nature.wildlife.
You may want to comment on the lack of interest in gardening shown in
uk.rec.motorcycles while you're at it.

--
Tim C.
Old 02-06-2004, 03:07 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message m
from Tim Challenger "timothy(dot)challenger(at)apk(dot)at" contains
these words:

Quite right. It's a gardening NG. If I want to discuss pondlife I'd go to
free.uk.nature.ponds or rec.ponds maybe. Or free.uk.nature.wildlife.
You may want to comment on the lack of interest in gardening shown in
uk.rec.motorcycles while you're at it.

Actually - I've seen some pretty good gardening threads in urm.....

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/

basil and cilantro Rona Yuthasastrakosol Edible Gardening 25 24-07-2003 06:02 AM
cilantro..... Sabaa Mundia Gardening 3 04-05-2003 01:20 PM
any secret tips on cilantro/basil in Colorado Stephen Younge Edible Gardening 2 29-04-2003 01:32 PM
Cilantro surrogates Stevil Edible Gardening 2 16-02-2003 09:39 AM
Cilantro Snowfeet1 Gardening 4 10-02-2003 09:25 PM