Old 01-06-2004, 10:17 AM
Frogleg

Default urg restricted? Was -- Cilantro

On Sun, 30 May 2004 21:55:39 +0100, Janet Baraclough..
wrote:

I'm sorry, but the charter of this newsgroup is to discuss gardening
in UK conditions. It isn't appropriate for you and Frogleg to use
uk.rec.gardening to discuss growing cilantro in Japan and America.

I've never before been told that urg had a geographical fence around
it. The idea that plants behave differently in your country than they
do in mine is certainly a new one. Don't they start with seeds and
cuttings there? Require light and water? Suffer in drought or deluge?
Until now, I have enjoyed reading of gardening concerns and methods in
the UK, and have, I hope, been able to offer some useful information
on topics I am familiar with. And, until now, I have felt welcome.
Old 01-06-2004, 10:17 AM
Sacha

wrote:

I'm sorry, but the charter of this newsgroup is to discuss gardening
in UK conditions. It isn't appropriate for you and Frogleg to use
uk.rec.gardening to discuss growing cilantro in Japan and America.

I've never before been told that urg had a geographical fence around
it. The idea that plants behave differently in your country than they
do in mine is certainly a new one. Don't they start with seeds and
cuttings there? Require light and water? Suffer in drought or deluge?
Until now, I have enjoyed reading of gardening concerns and methods in
the UK, and have, I hope, been able to offer some useful information
on topics I am familiar with. And, until now, I have felt welcome.

It isn't a question of being unwelcome in the least. As you see, we have
posters from all over the place.
But the charter of urg is to discuss gardening within the UK. Others who
join in here are from countries where they are usually dealing with similar
plants in similar climates to that of parts of the UK, e.g. The Netherlands,
France and Vancouver which experience climates similar to some of those in
UK and so then, we can all help each other.
That is why, when people sometimes stray in asking about how to grow e.g.
Cilantro in California, they are politely re-directed to rec.gardens which
is a US group dealing with the many climatic zones of USA.
The reason for this is that if the group started to discuss worldwide
gardening, the original object of UK gardening would be swamped entirely.
I think other countries have gardening groups specific to their country,
too.
--

Sacha
(remove the weeds after garden to email me)

Old 01-06-2004, 11:18 AM
martin

wrote:

I'm sorry, but the charter of this newsgroup is to discuss gardening
in UK conditions. It isn't appropriate for you and Frogleg to use
uk.rec.gardening to discuss growing cilantro in Japan and America.

I've never before been told that urg had a geographical fence around
it. The idea that plants behave differently in your country than they
do in mine is certainly a new one. Don't they start with seeds and
cuttings there? Require light and water? Suffer in drought or deluge?
Until now, I have enjoyed reading of gardening concerns and methods in
the UK, and have, I hope, been able to offer some useful information
on topics I am familiar with. And, until now, I have felt welcome.

You still are and note NOT MODERATED

Charter of uk.rec.gardening
(Not Moderated)
To discuss gardening issues relevant to the UK. These will include
flowers, shrubs, trees, fruit & vegetables, lawns, houseplants,
beneficial insects & animals, soils, composting, design, location,
situation, seasons/times, hard structures (paths, greenhouses,
cloches, rockeries), ponds, tools & materials, weeds and pests &
diseases. This is not meant to be an exhaustive list.

In the absence of more appropriate, geographically specific
newsgroups, discussion of gardening in Eire, the Channel Islands and
the Isle of Man will also be welcome. Because there are climatic,
legal, cultural and other differences, discussion of gardening in
other parts of the world is OFF TOPIC (there are other regional
gardening newsgroups, and the global rec.gardens, one of which may be
more appropriate). Please note that this exclusion relates to subject
matter, not people, and posters from around the globe will be welcome
to participate in or initiate discussion of UK-relevant topics.

Specifically, please remember that there is no direct correlation
between US climate zones and the climate of the UK.
Binaries
All posts should be in plain ASCII text. The posting of all binaries
(including, for example, pictures, html format text or code, "business
cards", software, word processor files) is not welcome. Such material
belongs on a web or ftp site, to which a pointer may be posted.
Advertising
Advertising is not welcome, with the following exceptions:

Suppliers of UK-relevant gardening equipment, services or plant
material may post a pointer to their website or invitation to request
a catalogue. This may not exceed four lines. This may be posted no
more often than once every three months. The subject line should begin
"AD" or "ADVERT".

Participants in discussions may include references to their
garden-related business in their .sig (max. four lines).
Newsgroups line

uk.rec.gardening To discuss gardening topics relevant to the UK

Old 01-06-2004, 12:14 PM
Kay Easton

In article , Frogleg
writes
wrote:

I'm sorry, but the charter of this newsgroup is to discuss gardening
in UK conditions. It isn't appropriate for you and Frogleg to use
uk.rec.gardening to discuss growing cilantro in Japan and America.

I've never before been told that urg had a geographical fence around
it.

Well, you would have been had you read the charter or the 'abc' post
which is posted every week for newcomers to the group. We don't make a
secret of it! It's always advisable to find out about a group before you
post to it - titles can be misleading (alt.fan.british.accent and
uk.rec.sheds are just two that come to mind).

But in this case, we are what we seem - gardening in the uk - as
indicated by being part of the uk hierarchy

The idea that plants behave differently in your country than they
do in mine is certainly a new one. Don't they start with seeds and
cuttings there? Require light and water? Suffer in drought or deluge?

Absolutely. But what we can't do here is give the same levels of heat,
light and so on. If someone posts advice based on , say, US conditions,
then a newcomer to gardening may follow that advice and find that their
plants fail. We don't have problems with drought, but we have a short
growing season and long fairly cold wet periods with low light in the
winter, so that plants that you may think from our latitude should grow
OK here in fact fail over the winter.

Until now, I have enjoyed reading of gardening concerns and methods in
the UK, and have, I hope, been able to offer some useful information
on topics I am familiar with. And, until now, I have felt welcome.

You are very welcome to discuss UK related gardening (we have many
overseas posters) and you have contributed a lot of interesting posts.
But it *is* a UK gardening group - rec.gardens is a general gardening
group, though I believe it is basically US in provenance (as would be
expected given the relative nos of internet users in our two countries).
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
Old 01-06-2004, 01:22 PM
dave @ stejonda

[Sly X-Post to demon.local removed]

In message 1NEYULJQ38139.2976041667@anonymous, Anonymous
writes
You can post anything you want here and you are most welcome.

Why don't you have the courage to post under your own name?

--
dave @ stejonda

Old 01-06-2004, 02:36 PM
martin

On Tue, 1 Jun 2004 12:56:49 +0100, "dave @ stejonda"
wrote:

[Sly X-Post to demon.local removed]

In message 1NEYULJQ38139.2976041667@anonymous, Anonymous
writes
You can post anything you want here and you are most welcome.

Why don't you have the courage to post under your own name?

and be spammed by half the world? No thanks!
Old 01-06-2004, 02:37 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "dave @ stejonda" contains these words:

[Sly X-Post to demon.local removed]

In message 1NEYULJQ38139.2976041667@anonymous, Anonymous
writes
You can post anything you want here and you are most welcome.

Why don't you have the courage to post under your own name?

Third-rate troll innit.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old 01-06-2004, 04:09 PM
Frogleg

On Tue, 1 Jun 2004 11:15:22 +0100, Kay Easton
wrote:

writes

I've never before been told that urg had a geographical fence around
it.

Well, you would have been had you read the charter or the 'abc' post
which is posted every week for newcomers to the group.

And so I did several years ago when I first discovered urg. Since
then, I have specifically refrained from posting anything like "water
your lawn 1" per week" or "iris should be transplanted in summer,"
knowing that my experience is limited to a specific climate -- one of
*many* in the US. I have, in fact, learned that the UK also has many
climate schemes -- while one poster is complaining about cold and
rain, another is sunbathing on the lawn. However, I do not believe it
is climate-specific that daffodils tend to produce fewer blooms when
they need to be lifted and divided. Or that the most frequent cause of
'leggy' seedlings is lack of light. I also don't ask questions about
insect or plant problems that are strictly local. I enjoy the
argle-bargle about impossible neighbors, and the Cat Problem is a
perennial(!) topic in all gardening conversations, not one limited by
geography.

My specific faux pas, it seems, was discussing coriander/cilantro.
Whether being growin in the USA, the UK, or Japan, in a greenhouse or
back garden, the growth habit of this plant has certain
characteristics with which I'm all too familiar. I can't see the
offense in mentioning some of these.
Old 01-06-2004, 07:09 PM
dave @ stejonda

In message CJ7TSVLQ38139.3420601852@anonymous, Anonymous
writes
wrote:
[Sly X-Post to demon.local removed]
In message 1NEYULJQ38139.2976041667@anonymous, Anonymous
writes
You can post anything you want here and you are most welcome.

Why don't you have the courage to post under your own name?

using an anon service yourself
too!!!!!

Nope.

your post is against the charter.

Yeps, 3rd rate troll indeed.

--
dave @ stejonda
Old 01-06-2004, 07:10 PM
Alan Gould

Default Cilantro

In article , dave @ stejonda
writes
In message , Rodger Whitlock
writes
Works like a hot damn.

I don't understand this phrase.

Shh-ush Dave it's Canadaspeak - i.e uncharted territory :-(

[Now if it had been a hot dam......]
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.

Old 01-06-2004, 07:11 PM
Alan Gould

In article , Janet Baraclough.
.. writes
From the charter;

"In the absence of more appropriate, geographically specific newsgroups,
discussion of gardening in Eire, the Channel Islands and the Isle of Man
will also be welcome. Because there are climatic, legal, cultural and
other differences, discussion of
gardening in other parts of the world is OFF TOPIC (there are other
regional gardening newsgroups, and the global rec.gardens, one of which
may be more appropriate)"

Yes, we knew that six years ago. Gardening is a global recreation and
the Internet is global inter-communication. Discussions between
gardeners world-wide will take place whatever urg charter says.
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.
Old 01-06-2004, 08:05 PM
Sacha

On 1/6/04 15:52, in article ,
"Frogleg" wrote:

snip

My specific faux pas, it seems, was discussing coriander/cilantro.
Whether being growin in the USA, the UK, or Japan, in a greenhouse or
back garden, the growth habit of this plant has certain
characteristics with which I'm all too familiar. I can't see the
offense in mentioning some of these.

It's not a question of 'offence', truly. But it is a question of how much
use it can be to UK orientated gardeners, given the light levels and sun
hours that we get in UK. That makes a really enormous difference to when
plants can be started outdoors OR in greenhouses and how long they can
live/flower/survive outdoors etc.
I don't know where you live but the advice you in, let's say Carolina, give
to someone in, let's say Liverpool will be of no use to that person for all
too many plants. Not everyone from 'out there' is posting about Cilantro!
For example, I have friends living in Philly. They can grow almost all the
thing we can here in SW England but their winters will kill them off and
some may never bloom at all. These friends treat Norfolk Pine as a
houseplant, in Crete it grows almost wild, here it will survive in some mild
climates, such as the Scilly Isles where BTW Echiums will grow and flourish
and flower and seed, which they will not do here in *our bit* of the 'sunny'
south west but will do with friends some few miles away or in the Channel
Islands, where I was born.
So it's no good someone here or in Crete telling someone in Philadelphia
what they can or can't grow. That is why this newsgroup is UK specific
(mostly) and it is also why people who are new and post here for the first
time are asked where they live.
We are a small and misty, wet island with some very cold bits, part of which
is governed by the Gulf Stream and thus affects gardening. Here, near
Dartmoor we can't grow some things that people 40 minutes car ride to
Salcombe can grow and over-winter. The enormous variation in climate within
a very few miles in UK makes it impossible to say "everyone in Devonshire
can grow this and have it survive the winter", for example.
And even in Britain, we in Devon can grow and over-winter outdoors many
things that more northern climates can manage.

--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 01-06-2004, 08:14 PM
Franz Heymann

And put back you dozy ****.

In message 1NEYULJQ38139.2976041667@anonymous, Anonymous
writes
You can post anything you want here and you are most welcome.

Why don't you have the courage to post under your own name?

BWAHAHAHA that takes courage does it, using an anon service yourself
too!!!!! You dozy ****ing ****** titturd.

Now **** off, your post is against the charter.

You seem to have a rather limited vocabulary. Did you miss out on
going to school?

Franz

Old 01-06-2004, 09:12 PM
Franz Heymann

"Alan Gould" wrote in message
In article , Janet

Baraclough.
. writes
From the charter;

"In the absence of more appropriate, geographically specific

newsgroups,
discussion of gardening in Eire, the Channel Islands and the Isle

of Man
will also be welcome. Because there are climatic, legal, cultural

and
other differences, discussion of
gardening in other parts of the world is OFF TOPIC (there are other
regional gardening newsgroups, and the global rec.gardens, one of

which
may be more appropriate)"

Yes, we knew that six years ago. Gardening is a global recreation

and
the Internet is global inter-communication. Discussions between
gardeners world-wide will take place whatever urg charter says.

Folk from outside the UK who want to discuss gardening as applicable
to the UK climate and UK gardening culture are very welcome in urg.
Other outsiders are gate crashers.
Gate crashers should be reminded that they are unwelcome. If we do
not remain vigilant about that, urg will become indistinguishable from
any other American dominated newsgroup.

Franz

Old 01-06-2004, 09:16 PM
Franz Heymann

wrote:

I'm sorry, but the charter of this newsgroup is to discuss

gardening
in UK conditions. It isn't appropriate for you and Frogleg to use
uk.rec.gardening to discuss growing cilantro in Japan and America.

I've never before been told that urg had a geographical fence around
it. The idea that plants behave differently in your country than

they
do in mine is certainly a new one.

Of course plants behave differently here from the way they behave in
the US. Have you never heard of climatic and weather differences?
And we have different apparatus, materials and chemicals in this
country, as well as different shops.

Don't they start with seeds and
cuttings there?
Require light and water? Suffer in drought or deluge?

Don't be disingenuous. It shows.

Until now, I have enjoyed reading of gardening concerns and methods

in
the UK,

I am glad that you recognise that thereare indeed gardening concerns
and methods in the UK which might differ from their counterparts in
the US

and have, I hope, been able to offer some useful information
on topics I am familiar with. And, until now, I have felt welcome.

THat is quite true.
You would remain welcome as long as you fully understand and comply
with the charter of urg.

Franz

basil and cilantro Rona Yuthasastrakosol Edible Gardening 25 24-07-2003 06:02 AM
cilantro..... Sabaa Mundia Gardening 3 04-05-2003 01:20 PM
any secret tips on cilantro/basil in Colorado Stephen Younge Edible Gardening 2 29-04-2003 01:32 PM
Cilantro surrogates Stevil Edible Gardening 2 16-02-2003 09:39 AM
Cilantro Snowfeet1 Gardening 4 10-02-2003 09:25 PM