Old 02-06-2004, 03:12 PM
Tim Challenger

Default urg restricted? Was -- Cilantro

On Wed, 2 Jun 2004 14:10:32 +0100, Jaques d'Alltrades wrote:

The message m
from Tim Challenger "timothy(dot)challenger(at)apk(dot)at" contains
these words:

Quite right. It's a gardening NG. If I want to discuss pondlife I'd go to
free.uk.nature.ponds or rec.ponds maybe. Or free.uk.nature.wildlife.
You may want to comment on the lack of interest in gardening shown in
uk.rec.motorcycles while you're at it.

Actually - I've seen some pretty good gardening threads in urm.....

You're not helping, you know. ;-)
--
Tim C.
Old 02-06-2004, 06:03 PM
Sue

"Jaques d'Alltrades" wrote
Tim Challenger "timothy(dot)challenger(at)apk(dot)at"

snip
You may want to comment on the lack of interest in gardening shown in
uk.rec.motorcycles while you're at it.

Actually - I've seen some pretty good gardening threads in urm.....

Zen and the Art of Lawnmower Maintenance?

--
Sue

Old 02-06-2004, 07:12 PM
Brian

"Anonymous" wrote in message
On Tue, 01 Jun 2004 08:37:41 GMT, Frogleg wrote:

On Sun, 30 May 2004 21:55:39 +0100, Janet Baraclough..
wrote:

I'm sorry, but the charter of this newsgroup is to discuss

gardening
in UK conditions. It isn't appropriate for you and Frogleg to use
uk.rec.gardening to discuss growing cilantro in Japan and America.

I've never before been told that urg had a geographical fence around
it. The idea that plants behave differently in your country than they
do in mine is certainly a new one. Don't they start with seeds and
cuttings there? Require light and water? Suffer in drought or deluge?
Until now, I have enjoyed reading of gardening concerns and methods in
the UK, and have, I hope, been able to offer some useful information
on topics I am familiar with. And, until now, I have felt welcome.

The implication was surely intended to imply that, as the UK has such

a relatively small diversity of climate, this newsgroup might not be suited
to sub-tropical questions. Otherwise you are welcome.
There is 'rec.gardens' available which has a more universal outlook.
It is basically a US group with gardeners from the Arctic to near Tropical.
You will not escape the offensive however!!
Best Wishes Brian.

Old 02-06-2004, 08:11 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Sue" contains these words:
"Jaques d'Alltrades" wrote
Tim Challenger "timothy(dot)challenger(at)apk(dot)at"

snip
You may want to comment on the lack of interest in gardening shown in
uk.rec.motorcycles while you're at it.

Actually - I've seen some pretty good gardening threads in urm.....

Zen and the Art of Lawnmower Maintenance?

Thorny hedges to deter thieves.......

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old 02-06-2004, 08:12 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message m
from Tim Challenger "timothy(dot)challenger(at)apk(dot)at" contains
these words:
On Wed, 2 Jun 2004 14:10:32 +0100, Jaques d'Alltrades wrote:
The message m
from Tim Challenger "timothy(dot)challenger(at)apk(dot)at" contains
these words:

Quite right. It's a gardening NG. If I want to discuss pondlife I'd go to
free.uk.nature.ponds or rec.ponds maybe. Or free.uk.nature.wildlife.
You may want to comment on the lack of interest in gardening shown in
uk.rec.motorcycles while you're at it.

Actually - I've seen some pretty good gardening threads in urm.....

You're not helping, you know. ;-)

When have you known a ukrmmer to be helpful?

I'll get me coat. (And me crash helmet and body armour...)

Old 02-06-2004, 11:11 PM
Kay Easton

In article , Frogleg
writes
But I wouldn't *give* climate-dependent advice. BTW, I don't live with
my head in the sand. I *know* conditions in the UK are different than
those in Arizona or California or Maine or Montana. I know something
about northern 'light', having spent 6 weeks in southern Norway in
January. But if someone says "how long should it take tomato seeds to
germinate in a heated propagator, I feel knowledgeable enough to
comment, even 'though the propagator is ever so far away.

But nobody's telling you not to! The original criticism was about using
urg to discuss relative growing conditions in two other countries.

What you've said above illustrates the charter perfectly - urg is about
gardening in the UK, and if the advice you give is relevant to the UK,
then it is very welcome, whether you're posting from the UK, US, or the
south pole!
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:

Old 03-06-2004, 12:08 PM
Frogleg

On Wed, 2 Jun 2004 18:55:15 +0100, "Brian"
wrote:

The implication was surely intended to imply that, as the UK has such
a relatively small diversity of climate, this newsgroup might not be suited
to sub-tropical questions. Otherwise you are welcome.

"Arnold B. Tinn...a Fellow of the Royal Meterological Society... has
explained with exquisite banality: 'We experience weather that is
rarely very hot or very cold, and rainfall is sufficient at all
seasons.' This temperate climate has its advantabes, for agriculture
and for culture. The British argue that if it were hot and sunny all
the time, as in Australia, there would be no call for culture. Such is
indeed the case, they add with cruel condescension, in Australia."
--Robert Hewison

Old 03-06-2004, 12:10 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Frogleg writes:
| On Wed, 2 Jun 2004 18:55:15 +0100, "Brian"
| wrote:
|
| The implication was surely intended to imply that, as the UK has such
| a relatively small diversity of climate, this newsgroup might not be suited
| to sub-tropical questions. Otherwise you are welcome.
|
| "Arnold B. Tinn...a Fellow of the Royal Meterological Society... has
| explained with exquisite banality: 'We experience weather that is
| rarely very hot or very cold, and rainfall is sufficient at all
| seasons.' This temperate climate has its advantabes, for agriculture
| and for culture. The British argue that if it were hot and sunny all
| the time, as in Australia, there would be no call for culture. Such is
| indeed the case, they add with cruel condescension, in Australia."
| --Robert Hewison

Of course, such Little Englanders seem to forget where 'Western
civilisation' originated. But what do they know of England who
only England know?

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 03-06-2004, 01:07 PM
Frogleg

On Wed, 2 Jun 2004 22:35:51 +0100, Kay Easton
wrote:

In article , Frogleg
writes
But I wouldn't *give* climate-dependent advice. BTW, I don't live with
my head in the sand. I *know* conditions in the UK are different...

The original criticism was about using
urg to discuss relative growing conditions in two other countries.

But I didn't. My original posts were in response to a query from
*inside* the UK on growing a specific plant *inside* the UK. I replied
with information about the characteristics of that particular plant.
Apparently a new query from a poster *outside* the UK about the same
plant was more than someone could bear, hence the censure.

And now I am in the middle of a flame-fest for defending a position
that should require no defense. As I said, I'm aware of climate
differences, and offer opinions and personal experience on questions
that appear to be universal (ivy is invasive and hard to get rid of;
neighbors and cats are troublesome). I admit that Nick McClaren and
others have informed me (nicely) of the difference between slanty
sunlight and the more straight-down sort. And keep this in mind when
questions of light requirements come up.

I'm not trying to steamroller or 'Americanize' urg. I mostly *read* to
enjoy the various garden topics, but when someone posts a question or
comment on a subject I have some knowledge of, I respond. I don't
insult people. I don't say "we do it better over here." I don't
recommend or even mention US apple trees or roses if apples or roses
are being discussed. Even with plant-specific info, I generally check
to make sure I'm talking about the same species. Is Virginia boxwood
the same as English boxwood? I look it up. Yes, nearly all boxes are
slow-growing plants, so I can comment on that, 'though not on snow
damage or the effects of extreme heat and drought.

I was, in fact, rather hurt to be smacked for offering what I felt was
useful, and not climate-related information.
Old 03-06-2004, 01:08 PM
Bob

wrote:

[...]

The best thing to do when the self-righteous net-police appear is ignore
them. Only if loads of people complain is it likely that you've done
anything "wrong".

Bob

Old 03-06-2004, 01:11 PM
Stephen Howard

On Thu, 3 Jun 2004 12:44:20 +0100, "Bob"
wrote:

The best thing to do when the self-righteous net-police appear is ignore
them. Only if loads of people complain is it likely that you've done
anything "wrong".

Especially since the OP was succinctly answered by Frogleg in the
second post!

Sorted.

Regards,

www.shwoodwind.co.uk
Old 03-06-2004, 03:17 PM
Mike Lyle

wrote:

The implication was surely intended to imply that, as the UK has such
a relatively small diversity of climate, this newsgroup might not be suited
to sub-tropical questions. Otherwise you are welcome.

"Arnold B. Tinn...a Fellow of the Royal Meterological Society... has
explained with exquisite banality: 'We experience weather that is
rarely very hot or very cold, and rainfall is sufficient at all
seasons.' This temperate climate has its advantabes, for agriculture
and for culture. The British argue that if it were hot and sunny all
the time, as in Australia, there would be no call for culture. Such is
indeed the case, they add with cruel condescension, in Australia."
--Robert Hewison

You quote a typical exquisitely pig-ignorant Pom! I bet his garden's
totally lacking in imagination and insight, too.

Mike.

basil and cilantro Rona Yuthasastrakosol Edible Gardening 25 24-07-2003 06:02 AM
cilantro..... Sabaa Mundia Gardening 3 04-05-2003 01:20 PM
any secret tips on cilantro/basil in Colorado Stephen Younge Edible Gardening 2 29-04-2003 01:32 PM
Cilantro surrogates Stevil Edible Gardening 2 16-02-2003 09:39 AM
Cilantro Snowfeet1 Gardening 4 10-02-2003 09:25 PM