Old 02-06-2004, 12:19 AM

Default Building a raised pond..help!

Anyone know where I can find a place online that offers a step by step guide
on how to build a raised pond? I have already purchased a preformed Liner,
Pump, Filter etc. Any help much appreciated. I'm a complete newbie to this.

'patience'

---

Old 02-06-2004, 12:24 AM
Bob Hobden

Patience wrote in message...
Anyone know where I can find a place online that offers a step by step

guide
on how to build a raised pond? I have already purchased a preformed Liner,
Pump, Filter etc. Any help much appreciated. I'm a complete newbie to

this.

No, but mine (3,000gals) is half raised to avoid runoff from heavy rain
getting in the pond so perhaps I can help.
Fire away.

--
Regards
Bob

Some photos of my plants at.....

Old 02-06-2004, 08:07 AM
Tumbleweed

"Patiencem@n" wrote in
message ...
Anyone know where I can find a place online that offers a step by step

guide
on how to build a raised pond? I have already purchased a preformed Liner,
Pump, Filter etc. Any help much appreciated. I'm a complete newbie to

this.

'patience'

There is a chain called 'World Of Water,' ISTR their catalogue (which may be
orderable on the web but you can certainly pickup in their shops) has a
number of designs and 'how to's', in, including raised.

--
Tumbleweed

Remove my socks for email address

Old 02-06-2004, 07:10 PM

Hi Bob..thanx for the response. I had a pond with a flexible liner in my
garden for a couple of years and to cut a long story short have decided to
go for a raised pond but to be honest dont know where to start. I have
filled the previous pond hole in with soil and will be putting the new
preformed pond in its place. It is only 750 litres or so. I reckon that
might be a good idea to half raise it as you have. It would help secure the
bottom sides when there is water in it....on the other hand I am thinking of
maybe leveling off the ground and setting the preformed pond on it...maybe
level off with concrete (is this a good idea ) after the soil has
sunk...what do you have underneath your pond/surrounding it ? For surrounds
maybe a double cavity wall so I can have some foliage in the middle...any
ideas welcome! I've searched online with no luck. Every site and book I see
opts for the popular pond with flexi liner and when I see a picture off a
raised pond well..er..theres no stepp by step instructions to build
it....even got a gardening manual here...same thing!
cheers....send me your enmail address if you have the time..thanks

'patience'

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message
Patience wrote in message...
Anyone know where I can find a place online that offers a step by step

guide
on how to build a raised pond? I have already purchased a preformed

Liner,
Pump, Filter etc. Any help much appreciated. I'm a complete newbie to

this.

No, but mine (3,000gals) is half raised to avoid runoff from heavy rain
getting in the pond so perhaps I can help.
Fire away.

--
Regards
Bob

Some photos of my plants at.....

---
Checked by AVG anti-virus system (
http://www.grisoft.com).

Old 02-06-2004, 07:11 PM

Hi Tumbleweed..thanks for the reply...unfortunately World of Water only have
stores on the mainland....I am located in N.Ireland...typical ! I checked
their site and they dont seem to sell the book online..ah well...cheerz
anyway

'patience'

"Tumbleweed" wrote in message
.. .

"Patiencem@n" wrote in
message ...

Old 02-06-2004, 07:12 PM
JennyC

"Patiencem@n" wrote in message
Anyone know where I can find a place online that offers a step by step guide
on how to build a raised pond? I have already purchased a preformed Liner,
Pump, Filter etc. Any help much appreciated. I'm a complete newbie to this.

'patience'

"raised pond" in goggle gives 832 hits. Maybe something there ?

Jenny :~)

Old 02-06-2004, 08:08 PM

Hi......I had tried and searched google ( google is your friend ) but was
getting an endless number of sites promoting their products and homepages
but no site totally dedicated to a step by step guide on buiding a raised
pond...dont get me wrong I'm sure there are a few out there..its finding
them and wading through the endless amount of garbage...sometimes inverted
commas doesnt always work for you in google !hence my original post of
'where can I find a place online'...sometimes its easier to get info on
usenet and thats what I opted for..sayin that still flickin through google
here...you never know ;-p
thanks all

"JennyC" wrote in message

"Patiencem@n" wrote in

message

Old 03-06-2004, 12:15 AM
Bob Hobden

Patience wrote in message ...
[...]

Our pond is banked with soil on three sides, two with boundary walls between
18 inches and 4 ft away so the soil is level to those boundaries, the third
is held up with a log roll wall 3ft away and has a path on top. The final
boundary next to our small patio is made of a brick wall. So that's a few
ideas for you. :-)
If you build a wall a bit bigger than the pond size you can simply plant
plants around the pond, no need for a double wall, or perhaps if you want
something a bit more formal build a rectangular wall structure larger than
the pond dimensions, and after putting the pond in, there would be lots of
space for plants.
Some paving around the bottom of the wall area would look nice and give good
access, in fact with some flat coping stones on top of the wall in places
you get seats too.
There should be no need to level off with a concrete slab, these pre-formed
ponds are quite strong and if you ensure the ground beneath is firm there
shouldn't be much soil compression.
The most important thing with pre-formed ponds is that their top must be
exactly level because the water certainly will be.
e-mail:-hobdensatbtinternetdotcom.
--
Regards
Bob

Some photos of my plants at.....

Old 03-06-2004, 12:17 AM
Bob Hobden

Patience wrote in message
Hi......I had tried and searched google ( google is your friend ) but was
getting an endless number of sites promoting their products and homepages
but no site totally dedicated to a step by step guide on buiding a raised
pond...dont get me wrong I'm sure there are a few out there..its finding
them and wading through the endless amount of garbage...sometimes inverted
commas doesnt always work for you in google !hence my original post of
'where can I find a place online'...sometimes its easier to get info on
usenet and thats what I opted for..sayin that still flickin through google
here...you never know ;-p

Try the following sites which do have bits of useful information or pictures
of ideas.

http://www.pondsandpumps.co.uk/pyjamas/article006.htm (looks exactly what
you want)

http://www.wildwoods.co.uk/Pond%20Design.htm

http://www.russellwatkinsonlandscapes.co.uk/web19.html

http://www.pondguardonline.co.uk/html/portfolio.html

http://www.pjt-main.demon.co.uk/pages/raised2.htm

http://www.ilfordaquarists.co.uk/articles5.htm

--
Regards
Bob

Some photos of my plants at.....

Old 04-06-2004, 12:04 AM
Mike Lyle

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message ...
Patience wrote in message
Hi......I had tried and searched google ( google is your friend ) but was
getting an endless number of sites promoting their products and homepages
but no site totally dedicated to a step by step guide on buiding a raised
pond...[...]

I once did one for a school, using railway sleepers as handsome
retaining walls for a plastic liner, filling the gaps with soil
(filling was a bit tricky, ISTR). The sleepers were held in place with
fence posts. You need to level the site nearly as perfectly as if you
were installing a bath; but some irregularities can be disguised with
marginal plants. If it's going where you've filled in the old pond,
expect some frustrating subsidence unless you can compress the fill
very thoroughly. As with any other pond, remove stones which may
damage the liner once it gets heavy with water.

Because other people's young children were involved, this one was
covered with ?6" weldmesh. I'd have preferred the weldmesh to have
been submerged a couple of inches, but that couldn't be done securely
without damage to the liner: it looked bearable once the plants were
established, though. You can also make a pond safer for little ones by
putting in some big stones (hollow artificial ones would be good, and
pretty cheap to make): you'll still have depth for plants and fish,
but it'll be much harder for a toddler to come to harm.

Mike.

Old 04-06-2004, 12:04 PM
good golly miss Molly

"Patiencem@n" wrote in
message ...
Anyone know where I can find a place online that offers a step by step

guide
on how to build a raised pond? I have already purchased a preformed Liner,
Pump, Filter etc. Any help much appreciated. I'm a complete newbie to

this.

I built a raised one this spring but used butyl as after consideration, it
seemed the simplest way. I dug a hole, made a ledge halfway up,placed wooden
boarding on this ledge ( I used some shed doors I had, but you could use
plywood or similar) so that they came 18 inches above the soil level. I
screwed battens into each corner to hold them all together, then got in and
dug deeper, using this soil removed, to brace the wooden doors on the
outside. I then put felt etc in the bottom and liner the pond, then put the
butyl in and staspled it to the outside of the doors holding it all in
place. I planted nasturtiums and stuff on the soil retaining the wooden
doors and you cannot see the wood now. It all looks very nice. I think I
would have had a big problem if I used a preformed pond as you would have
to somehow put soil under and around it to hold it in place.
Maybe you might have to rethink? I would be happy to send you pictures of
my pond if you wanted.Otherwise, site your preformed, place boards around
then fill the gaps with lots and lots and lots of expanding foam filler??
:0)

Building a raised pond..help! Ponds (alternative) 3 04-06-2004 02:06 AM
building a raised rose bed JimS. Roses 5 26-02-2004 02:52 PM
building a raised rose bed JimS. Roses 0 18-01-2004 03:47 AM
building a raised rose bed JimS. Roses 0 18-01-2004 03:46 AM
Timber for building planters/raised beds? Martin Richards United Kingdom 7 09-06-2003 09:10 PM