Old 09-06-2004, 04:36 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

Default Flippin' deck

The message
from martin contains these words:
On Sat, 5 Jun 2004 23:56:42 +0100, Jaques d'Alltrades
wrote:
The message
from martin contains these words:

Please, Sir, I was wearing Frank's glasses, honest, Sir!

I've heard you also drink out of them, when he has his back turned :-)

That might be nearer the mark than you think....

Mark's glasses too :-)

Mark's bottle, Frank's glasses.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/

Old 09-06-2004, 06:11 PM
Brian Watson

"martin" wrote in message
"Flippin' deck
http://www.guardian.co.uk/comment/st...231770,00.html
Jane Perrone delights in the demise of a certain garden fad, and has
some advice on putting right its inherent wrongs

Friday June 4, 2004

A blackbird on the wing, taking in an aerial view of an average UK
street, has probably noticed a colour shift in the past five years.
Our once green and pleasant land has been invaded by a hideous scourge
that poses a threat to all that is good about gardening: wooden
decking.

Nonsense. Used appropriately it is fine.

I needed a safe all-weather path system in my garden, so I used decking that
I treated with varnish-type stuff into which sand had been stirred to
improve the grip in wet or icy weather.

It works.

--
Brian
"Stuck down a hole, in the fog, in the middle of the night, with an owl."

Old 09-06-2004, 06:26 PM
Amber Ormerod

"Brian Watson" wrote in message

"martin" wrote in message
"Flippin' deck
http://www.guardian.co.uk/comment/st...231770,00.html
Jane Perrone delights in the demise of a certain garden fad, and has
some advice on putting right its inherent wrongs

Friday June 4, 2004

A blackbird on the wing, taking in an aerial view of an average UK
street, has probably noticed a colour shift in the past five years.
Our once green and pleasant land has been invaded by a hideous scourge
that poses a threat to all that is good about gardening: wooden
decking.

Nonsense. Used appropriately it is fine.

I needed a safe all-weather path system in my garden, so I used decking

that
I treated with varnish-type stuff into which sand had been stirred to
improve the grip in wet or icy weather.

It works.

like all garden features decking needs thought to not become OTT. We had
decking in our last garden and it was one of the best things we did in that
garden. I don't think it goes with the character of the house here or the
garden furniture so we would probs not have it here. But it was nice for not
being too cold on the feet in Winter!

Old 09-06-2004, 06:55 PM
Frogleg

On Sun, 6 Jun 2004 17:40:22 +0100, "Brian Watson"
wrote:

"martin" wrote

"Flippin' deck
http://www.guardian.co.uk/comment/st...231770,00.html
Jane Perrone delights in the demise of a certain garden fad, and has
some advice on putting right its inherent wrongs

Nonsense. Used appropriately it is fine.

I needed a safe all-weather path system in my garden, so I used decking that
I treated with varnish-type stuff into which sand had been stirred to
improve the grip in wet or icy weather.

I was surprised by the extreme negative article and comments. Decking
is certainly an improvement over mud and boggy spots, making a useful
seating (or walking, as above) area where garden plants are either
difficult to grow or not wanted. Many of the Ground Force projects
involved making a pleasant platform where people could enjoy looking
at the rest of the garden. On level 'ground' where chairs and a table
might be comfortably placed, as well as attractive plants in pots.
It's not as if they were paving over the entire garden.

Also, while the UK probably has the highest proportion of passionate
gardeners of any population on earth, there must be some people who
would prefer tidy, reasonably attractive, low-maintenance landscaping
rather than a wilderness of weeds or scruffy grass and overgrown
bushes.

Old 09-06-2004, 06:58 PM
Kay

In article , Frogleg
writes
was surprised by the extreme negative article and comments. Decking
is certainly an improvement over mud and boggy spots, making a useful
seating (or walking, as above) area where garden plants are either
difficult to grow or not wanted.

It's also lethally slippery over a large part of the year. Remember
we're a lot wetter than you are! It's a good solution in a drier
climate, but a lot of us remain to be convinced that it's anything other
than an impractical fashion fad over here.

--
Kay