Old 10-06-2004, 05:29 PM
Frogleg

Default Flippin' deck

On Sun, 6 Jun 2004 17:40:22 +0100, "Brian Watson"
wrote:

"martin" wrote

"Flippin' deck
http://www.guardian.co.uk/comment/st...231770,00.html
Jane Perrone delights in the demise of a certain garden fad, and has
some advice on putting right its inherent wrongs

Nonsense. Used appropriately it is fine.

I needed a safe all-weather path system in my garden, so I used decking that
I treated with varnish-type stuff into which sand had been stirred to
improve the grip in wet or icy weather.

I was surprised by the extreme negative article and comments. Decking
is certainly an improvement over mud and boggy spots, making a useful
seating (or walking, as above) area where garden plants are either
difficult to grow or not wanted. Many of the Ground Force projects
involved making a pleasant platform where people could enjoy looking
at the rest of the garden. On level 'ground' where chairs and a table
might be comfortably placed, as well as attractive plants in pots.
It's not as if they were paving over the entire garden.

Also, while the UK probably has the highest proportion of passionate
gardeners of any population on earth, there must be some people who
would prefer tidy, reasonably attractive, low-maintenance landscaping
rather than a wilderness of weeds or scruffy grass and overgrown
bushes.
Old 10-06-2004, 05:35 PM
Kay

In article , Frogleg
writes
was surprised by the extreme negative article and comments. Decking
is certainly an improvement over mud and boggy spots, making a useful
seating (or walking, as above) area where garden plants are either
difficult to grow or not wanted.

It's also lethally slippery over a large part of the year. Remember
we're a lot wetter than you are! It's a good solution in a drier
climate, but a lot of us remain to be convinced that it's anything other
than an impractical fashion fad over here.

--
Kay

Old 10-06-2004, 05:44 PM
Bob

Frogleg wrote:
I was surprised by the extreme negative article and comments. Decking
is certainly an improvement over mud and boggy spots, making a useful
seating (or walking, as above) area where garden plants are either
difficult to grow or not wanted. Many of the Ground Force projects
involved making a pleasant platform where people could enjoy looking
at the rest of the garden. On level 'ground' where chairs and a table
might be comfortably placed, as well as attractive plants in pots.
It's not as if they were paving over the entire garden.

I did see one TV show where they actually did deck the entire garden (one of
those long narrow ones you get with Victorian terraces), with the occasional
small hole for tree or shrub. The end result was a barren wooden expanse,
and neighbours who were furious about the constant clomp-clomp boots-on-wood
noise as wells as being overlooked by people whose heads were now well above
fence height!

Bob

Old 10-06-2004, 06:59 PM
Frogleg

On Mon, 7 Jun 2004 14:01:20 +0100, Kay
wrote:

Frogleg writes

was surprised by the extreme negative article and comments. Decking
is certainly an improvement over mud and boggy spots, making a useful
seating (or walking, as above) area where garden plants are either
difficult to grow or not wanted.

It's also lethally slippery over a large part of the year.

You left out what I quoted mentioning paint with sand specifically
designed to ensure a non-slippery surface.

No one is arguing that all gardens should be replaced by decking. I
was just puzzled by the totally negative tone about the whole concept.
Gardening certainly allows a wide variety of styles. Cottage and
topiary and rock gardens are all reasonable choices. Why not a bit of
decking?
Old 10-06-2004, 07:02 PM
Kay

In article , Frogleg
writes
On Mon, 7 Jun 2004 14:01:20 +0100, Kay
wrote:

Frogleg writes

was surprised by the extreme negative article and comments. Decking
is certainly an improvement over mud and boggy spots, making a useful
seating (or walking, as above) area where garden plants are either
difficult to grow or not wanted.

It's also lethally slippery over a large part of the year.

You left out what I quoted mentioning paint with sand specifically
designed to ensure a non-slippery surface.

I did indeed. I wasn't trying to argue against decking in this
circumstance, I was trying to answer your comment that you were
surprised by the negativity, and, knowing that you are american and may
not be familiar with our climate, explain to you where this negativity
comes from.

No one is arguing that all gardens should be replaced by decking. I
was just puzzled by the totally negative tone about the whole concept.

That is precisely what I was trying to explain.

Gardening certainly allows a wide variety of styles. Cottage and
topiary and rock gardens are all reasonable choices. Why not a bit of
decking?

For the reasons I said.

Look - I try to explain something, to cater for your possible
unfamiliarity, and you jump down my throat. IS that how you would like
your attempts to be helpful treated?
--
Kay

Old 10-06-2004, 08:01 PM
Kay

In article , Frogleg
writes
On Mon, 7 Jun 2004 14:01:20 +0100, Kay

Frogleg writes

Old 10-06-2004, 11:30 PM
Kay

In article , Frogleg
writes
On Mon, 7 Jun 2004 14:01:20 +0100, Kay

Frogleg writes

Old 11-06-2004, 12:09 AM
Kay

In article , Frogleg
writes
On Tue, 8 Jun 2004 13:21:39 +0100, Kay
wrote:

Frogleg writes

I'm familiar with (some of) your climate. Interestingly enough, I
looked up average annual rainfall figures for Norfolk, VA and Norfolk,
UK. Virginia: 44inches. UK: 23 inches. Of course that doesn't tell the
whole story, but believe me, I've experience with mildew, moss, and
mud. :-)

I'm not familiar with Norfolk VA. Norfolk UK is on the drier and sunnier
east of the country.

I gather from the thread that the objections are based on decking
being 'trendy' and non-traditional, popularized by one or more TV
shows, and over-adopted by too many people.

Over adopted in the context of a country where for many months of the
year any fallen rain does not evaporate for a considerable time. If we
had heavy rain which dried quickly in hot sun, decking would be
admirable. Decking is not suitable where you have periods of drizzle
interrupted by periods of cloud. Yes, you can apply anti-slip methods,
but many people don't even think of that. Given that decking is being
brought into prominence by many TV garden make-over shows which are
designed for people with no experience of outdoor design, it is well
worth putting the opposite view, and suggesting that they should think
of the practicalities.

Suppose in the southern US you were being deluged by TV shows suggesting
instant makeovers involving laying nice green turf, and you had a steady
stream of people wandering into rec.gardening asking where to get the
cheapest turf, wouldn't you feel inclined to probe the reasons for their
choice and mention words like 'watering'?

I don't think the objections stem from it being 'non-traditional'. UK
gardening has never been afraid to adopt new ideas, as can be seen by
the diversity of gardens across the country, and we do, of course, have
a long history of gardening characterised by repeated sweeping of new
fashions, for example as popularised by Capability Brown or Gertrude
Jekyll.
--
Kay

Old 11-06-2004, 12:31 AM