Old 10-06-2004, 02:51 PM
Frogleg

Default magnolia grandiflora goliath - help me please

On Sun, 06 Jun 2004 16:38:28 +0100, Sacha
wrote:

The OP may well be genuine but I don't think many people buy something of
that name without getting a clue as to its tendencies. 'grand' and 'goliath'
alone would be a hint.

To be fair, 'grandiflora' refers to the size of the blooms, not the
tree. (I looked it up :-) 'goliath', however, does seem fairly
obvious.
Old 10-06-2004, 03:39 PM
Kay

In article , frazzled
writes

I posted the question in all good faith, I thought grandiflora & goliath

referred to the flowers.

Grandiflora does. You're just unlikely that this particular grandiflora
comes with a body to match ;-)

I am a total novice to gardening, & am just feeling
my way along, much the same as with using my husbands computer. If I have
offended anyones sensibilities then I am truly sorry. & unfortunately I
can't take it back from where I bought it, so like it or lump it I am stuck
with it & must persevere to do my best.Thank-you for your replies though,
I'm just stupid I guess.

No, not stupid. Just new to gardening, and having had an unthinking
moment All of us make silly mistakes, and we don't stop making them just
because we're more experienced.

--
Kay

Old 10-06-2004, 03:41 PM
Sacha

On 6/6/04 20:50, in article , "frazzled"
wrote:

snip
I posted the question in all good faith, I thought grandiflora & goliath
referred to the flowers. I am a total novice to gardening, & am just feeling
my way along, much the same as with using my husbands computer. If I have
offended anyones sensibilities then I am truly sorry. & unfortunately I
can't take it back from where I bought it, so like it or lump it I am stuck
with it & must persevere to do my best.Thank-you for your replies though,
I'm just stupid I guess.

LOL! Of *course* you haven't offended anyone but it did sound a bit
improbable! Could you give that Magnolia to someone as a present and get
another more suitable to the size of your garden, do you think? But at
least urg has given you one piece of advice, I hope, which will help you in
the future - if in doubt, ask before you buy! And if it's of any comfort to
you, you'd be a very strange gardener, beginner or not, who didn't make
mistakes! We all do and some of them are expensive ones.
I'm sorry I thought you might be a troll, we've had a rash of them lately
and it raises suspicions!

--

Sacha
(remove the weeds after garden to email me)

Old 10-06-2004, 06:06 PM
Brian

wrote:

The OP may well be genuine but I don't think many people buy something

of
that name without getting a clue as to its tendencies. 'grand' and

'goliath'
alone would be a hint.

To be fair, 'grandiflora' refers to the size of the blooms, not the
tree. (I looked it up :-) 'goliath', however, does seem fairly
obvious.

Agreed but not a lot of small trees have very large flowers on - or not

that
I can think of at present! No doubt somebody will come up with a list of
hundreds! 'goliath' is a dead give away. We do find that here, most

people
do ask, if in doubt but then there's usually someone around who can help
them. I think one of the problems with some gc's is the 'supermarket'
attitude that is taken. The only person who can actually be found is the
person on the check out.......

--

Sacha
(remove the weeds after garden to email

_________________
'Twouldn't surprise me if someone finds a lichen 'goliath' !! Many names
seem to be gross exaggerations. Rose 'maigold' however begins full bloom
during April and throughout May~~Well named and scented too.
A local G.C, rather nicely, has an obvious and well used selection of RHS
encyclopaedias and booklets on display. [Not for sale]
I liked the ref. to the Queen and King Holly. How many must have been
caught out?

Old 10-06-2004, 06:59 PM
Frogleg

On Mon, 07 Jun 2004 16:56:42 +0100, Sacha
wrote:

"Frogleg" wrote:

To be fair, 'grandiflora' refers to the size of the blooms, not the
tree. (I looked it up :-) 'goliath', however, does seem fairly
obvious.

Agreed but not a lot of small trees have very large flowers on - or not that
I can think of at present! No doubt somebody will come up with a list of
hundreds! 'goliath' is a dead give away. We do find that here, most people
do ask, if in doubt but then there's usually someone around who can help
them. I think one of the problems with some gc's is the 'supermarket'
attitude that is taken. The only person who can actually be found is the
person on the check out.......

Don't you think much of gardening is learning from mistakes? One
starts by thinking "gardening" means putting a seed or plant in dirt
and watching it grow, and moves on from there. Many don't even know to
ask questions, or which questions to ask. If their experience is with
the Big Box stores, they know questions are futile.