Old 27-06-2004, 06:51 PM
Dave Poole

Default what are your garden pet hates?

On Sat, 26 Jun 2004 12:20:45 +0100, Sacha
wrote:

Forsythia, bizzy lizzies, annual salvias, Calceolarias, 'cute' garden
ornaments, ditto the Chrysanths and EE glads, (though I have a fondness for
some Dahlias)

Oh yes if your mean 'Bishop of Llandaff' plus related varieties and
species such as Dahlia merckii, I'll go with that.

Cupressus leylandii,

Urghh!

not mad about marigolds,

Me neither - hate them

monkey puzzle trees.

So we can't persuade you to buy a 5 footer we have growing in the
grounds of our training centre then?

Dave Poole
Torquay, Coastal South Devon UK
Winter min -2°C. Summer max 34°C.
Growing season: March - November

Old 27-06-2004, 08:03 PM
Janet Baraclough

The message
from "Brian" contains these words:

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message gWhDc.104$%m5.81@newsfe4-gui
from "Sue" contains these words:

I have a small garden so my pet hate is bare soil!

That's okay Sue..bare soil in a large garden is even more horrible ;-)

Janet

------------------------
I have never been more convinced that all correspondents disliking
any flowering plant or colour combination are simply 'extracting the
Michael'!!
Surely, there is nothing to compare with a flower or flowers in any
combination?
A simple fresh flower can have no competition and searching for new floral
experiences is a pastime without peer.
You don't convince me~~

Wot, not even by our sneaky tactic of not mentioning flowers or
colours? Doh.

Janet

Old 27-06-2004, 11:07 PM
jane

On Sat, 26 Jun 2004 14:14:09 +0100, Kay
wrote:

~In article , Brian Watson
writes
~
~"Just Molly" wrote in message
~news:Nw0Dc.68$6r.49@newsfe2-win...
~ I hate lawns. Huge expanses of nothingness however well cared for they
~are.
~ I also hate neatly cut edges and borders with alternating blue and white
~ lobelia and red salvias.
~
~I have taken up all my lawns as I no longer see the point of growing work.
~
~I have an intense antipathy to ivy, but am winning on that front at the
~moment, and bindweed comes a close second.
~
~Oh, bindweed's OK, especially if you are lucky enough to have the one
~with big pink striped flowers instead of white. And it's very satisfying
~to pull out whole tangled ropes of it.
~
~The little scented pink bindweed is lovely.

yer what?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

please, come and take all pink bindweed you can find out of my
lottie!!!!!

I'll make you cups of tea/coffee/whisk(e)y or whatever!

(But you have to promise to take all of it)

--
jane

Mark Twain

Old 28-06-2004, 12:06 AM
Brian

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message
from "Brian" contains these words:

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message gWhDc.104$%m5.81@newsfe4-gui
from "Sue" contains these words:

I have a small garden so my pet hate is bare soil!

That's okay Sue..bare soil in a large garden is even more horrible

;-)

Janet

------------------------
I have never been more convinced that all correspondents

disliking
any flowering plant or colour combination are simply 'extracting the
Michael'!!
Surely, there is nothing to compare with a flower or flowers in any
combination?
A simple fresh flower can have no competition and searching for new

floral
experiences is a pastime without peer.
You don't convince me~~

Wot, not even by our sneaky tactic of not mentioning flowers or
colours? Doh.

Janet

----------
I know you didn't but many did. Even Sacha, of all people. Many
others, from Abelia to Zinnias~~{ My father told me a million times not to
exaggerate!}
Plastic labels are OK~~ if I can find the pencil!
Brian

Old 28-06-2004, 08:05 AM
Kay

In article , jane jane@moonrose.
demonmapson.co.uk writes
wrote:
~
~The little scented pink bindweed is lovely.

yer what?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

please, come and take all pink bindweed you can find out of my
lottie!!!!!

I'll make you cups of tea/coffee/whisk(e)y or whatever!

(But you have to promise to take all of it)

But I can't take advantage of you like that! Tell you what - in return,
I'll give you all of my Alchemilla mollis.
--
Kay

Old 28-06-2004, 11:04 AM
Franz Heymann

"Kay" wrote in message
In article , jane

jane@moonrose.
demonmapson.co.uk writes
wrote:
~
~The little scented pink bindweed is lovely.

yer what?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

please, come and take all pink bindweed you can find out of my
lottie!!!!!

I'll make you cups of tea/coffee/whisk(e)y or whatever!

(But you have to promise to take all of it)

But I can't take advantage of you like that! Tell you what - in

return,
I'll give you all of my Alchemilla mollis.

Yes. Decisively the second most prolific weed in my garden, next to
dandelions. One plant of it is a beauty to behold, but the status quo
fades into the past at a rapid rate.
And the garden centres charge nearly a fiver for an innocuous looking
little specimen.

My original plant has now lived in a 12" pot for 6 years without any
feeding or watering and it still blooms magnificently.

Franz

Old 28-06-2004, 12:03 PM
Victoria Clare

"Just Molly" wrote in

Hmmm, this isn't working very well is it? I didn't really mean what
garden
pests don't you like as nobody likes garden pests. I *meant* what
garden features or plant do you dislike. You know how you drive past a
garden and think, oh that's just *awful* to look at. or bloody hell
how naff, or My god are they *colour blind*!

I really don't dislike any gardening style as long as it's done with
commitment - and not in *my* garden.

Whether it's massed bedding or a deck or blue woodwork or dahlias or
whatever, I love to see gardening done wholeheartedly and with character.

I think my only pet hates are visibly half-done jobs - Hanging baskets
planted up, but not watered properly. Trees staked then left to strangle.
Weed killer'd areas all dead but not cleared.

If you are going to only do half the job, I always feel it looks so much
better if you don't even start!

(In my own garden, I hate pink, but I certainly don't wince when I see
someone else's borders full of it.)

Victoria

--
gardening on a north-facing hill
in South-East Cornwall

Old 28-06-2004, 03:16 PM
Rodger Whitlock

On Sun, 27 Jun 2004 07:56:24 +0000 (UTC), Franz Heymann wrote:

"Rodger Whitlock" wrote in message

Try the combination in one of my big planters this year: a soft
orange osteospermum predominates, but is molested by a lapis
lazuli anagallis, bright yellow sanvitalia, brilliant red
callibrachoas, a fluorescent-magenta phlox (and a matching
callibrachoa), and one or two other items carefully chosen to
give maximum clash. Yee-haw! Ride'm cowboy!

Hey, Rodger, how big is that planter?

Ceramic, square, probably Chinese or Vietnamese manufacture,
about 2' high and 15 " to 18" square. Beautiful cloudy soft
gray-green glaze. Modern, not old.

The whole thing is a riff on the "hanging basket" concept, and is
therefore planted quite thickly with "basket stuffers". When you
do this, you *must* be generous with both water and fertilizer to
get the best results.

--
Rodger Whitlock, Victoria, BC, Canada

"Listening to the [Opus Clavicembalisticum] is much like
Mussolini is alleged to have reported about governing
the Italians: it's not impossible, just POINTLESS."

----Jeffrey Friedman, 2004/06/24
Old 29-06-2004, 08:07 AM
Franz Heymann

[...]

It still sounds overplanted. But in a way I feel like emulating next
year.

Franz

Old 29-06-2004, 08:10 PM

On Sat, 26 Jun 2004 18:42:41 +0100, VivienB
wrote:

On Fri, 25 Jun 2004 21:08:30 +0100, "Just Molly"
wrote:

I hate lawns. Huge expanses of nothingness however well cared for they are.
I also hate neatly cut edges and borders with alternating blue and white
lobelia and red salvias.

A 'gardener' who uses hedge trimmers to cut every single shrub in a
largish garden (not ours - he wouldn't have lived another day if he
did this here!) into the same 'hot air balloon' shape, all at the same
time, regardless of spring/summer flowering, etc. I especially hate
him for doing this to what was a lovely Amelanchier, one of my
favourite shrubs.

Regards, VivienB

My next door neighbour does this with a Forsythia. He starts with his
trimmers just at the time they would be getting full of flowers.
Diana
Old 29-06-2004, 08:12 PM

On Sat, 26 Jun 2004 18:39:04 +0100, "Joanne"
wrote:

r, but I prefer a more haphazard style (in my personal
appearance and housekeeping, as well as in my garden)!!

Did you ever read that wonderful poem about When I get old I'll wear
purple....
You reminded me of it with your last remark.
Diana