Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 22-07-2004, 11:03 AM
Choc-brain

Default Garden re-think. Help please

"Pam Moore" wrote in message
I have a request for advice. My garden needs a rethink.
I have a small garden, 27feet by 15 feet. Yes, that small!

Due to macular degeneration I am losing central vision and am in the
process of being registered partially sighted. My peripheral vision
is normal but doesn't help to see fine detail.
Things are rather overgrown and I am having trouble keeping things
under control. I need to replace the invasive things.
Also I don't seem to have enough colour.

I have some reasonable shrubs and climbers, but would like advice
about things I can plant which are not invasive, will flower for
longer than a couple of weeks, and are good tempered, well behaved,
and if possible, fragrant. I suppose I am thinking of mainly
herbaceous things which clump but don't spread.

Is it sunny or shady?
One plant I'd suggest for a sunny spot is Lavatera. It's quite big (tall)
but flowers for months (large pink flowers) and is very easy to care for,
just cut it all off at the end of the year and it all comes back the next
year. Easy to propagate if you want more, just stick some of the prunings in
the ground and at least half of them will root.

Good luck.
Choccie