Old 11-09-2004, 09:37 PM
Chris Hogg

On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 08:37:00 +0100, Sacha
wrote:

I'm currently reading a book in which a 'flamboyant tree' is mentioned (as a
name, not a description) and bush tea. Please can anyone tell me what
either of these are?

AIUI, they make tea from at least two types of bush in SA. Rooibos
(Aspalanthus linearis) has already been mentioned, but they also use
Honeybush (Cyclopia species). See http://www.rooibos.ch/honeybush.html

The former has a slightly spicy taste, the latter is sweeter and
tastes more of honey. I prefer the latter. We have a relation in SA
who regularly sends us tea bags and we drink it regularly.

--
Chris

Old 11-09-2004, 10:01 PM
David Hill

Sacha

The First Ladies Detective Agency,

It is on Fridays as the afternoon play, This link will let you hear it on
line.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/aod/drama.shtml?afternoonplay"

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 11-09-2004, 10:39 PM
Sacha

On 11/9/04 22:01, in article , "David Hill"
wrote:

Sacha

The First Ladies Detective Agency,

It is on Fridays as the afternoon play, This link will let you hear it on
line.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/aod/drama.shtml?afternoonplay"

Thanks, David. A few people have posted or emailed me that link. All I
have to do now is figure out how to get my computer to let me listen to
it.... Big sigh!
--

Sacha

Old 11-09-2004, 10:42 PM
Sacha

wrote:

I'm currently reading a book in which a 'flamboyant tree' is mentioned (as a
name, not a description) and bush tea. Please can anyone tell me what
either of these are?

AIUI, they make tea from at least two types of bush in SA. Rooibos
(Aspalanthus linearis) has already been mentioned, but they also use
Honeybush (Cyclopia species). See
http://www.rooibos.ch/honeybush.html

The former has a slightly spicy taste, the latter is sweeter and
tastes more of honey. I prefer the latter. We have a relation in SA
who regularly sends us tea bags and we drink it regularly.

That's interesting because from what you say Aspalanthus is the Rooibos but
the person I know who lived in Gaborone says bush tea tastes of honey. I
wonder if bush tea has become a term to cover two types of tea giving shrub.
A number of years ago in Turkey, I drank something in Kalkan called Adasi
Chay (sp?) which means island tea. It was delicious but I've never been
able to find out what it's made from and no other parts of Turkey I've
sailed in seem to know it.
--

Sacha

Old 18-09-2004, 03:29 PM
Franz Heymann

"cross" wrote in message

Sacha, my SA friend confirms that bush tea is Rooibos (red

bush). I
have tried it but would not drink it from choice.

There are actually two different shrubs commonly used for making "tea"
in SA. Rooibos (Red bush) and Heuningbos (Honey bush). I am an
afficionado of the former. It is strongly astringent and is enjoyed
only after the intending drinker has undergone a suitable induction
period. The correct way to make it is to dedicate a stainless steel
teapot to it in perpetuity. The pot is topped up with water when it
runs dry and with leaves when the tea becomes too weak. It is removed
for cleaning only when it is so clogged with leaves and twigs that it
no longer holds enough water. Just bring the whole caboosh to the
boil when you want a cuppa.

Franz

Old 18-09-2004, 05:28 PM
Sacha

On 18/9/04 15:29, in article , "Franz
Heymann" wrote:

snip

There are actually two different shrubs commonly used for making "tea"
in SA. Rooibos (Red bush) and Heuningbos (Honey bush). I am an
afficionado of the former. It is strongly astringent and is enjoyed
only after the intending drinker has undergone a suitable induction
period. The correct way to make it is to dedicate a stainless steel
teapot to it in perpetuity. The pot is topped up with water when it
runs dry and with leaves when the tea becomes too weak. It is removed
for cleaning only when it is so clogged with leaves and twigs that it
no longer holds enough water. Just bring the whole caboosh to the
boil when you want a cuppa.

I think this is a recipe that might not find its way into my files! But
thanks, Franz!
--

Sacha

Old 18-09-2004, 08:56 PM
Franz Heymann

"Sacha" wrote in message
k...
On 18/9/04 15:29, in article ,

"Franz
Heymann" wrote:

snip

[...]

I did say, in other words, that liking it is an acquired taste.
{:-))

Franz

African Violet Plant Question ? Robert11[_2_] Gardening 2 13-02-2009 05:30 PM
unusual african "corn plant" blooms the moke monster Gardening 5 18-12-2003 08:33 PM
Help with a wierd succulent plant "African" sanseveria Shell91 Gardening 6 28-09-2003 01:32 PM
African violets cc0058529 Gardening 3 24-03-2003 10:08 PM
best way to water African Violets Iris Cohen Gardening 5 06-03-2003 05:39 AM