Old 27-10-2004, 01:54 PM
Magwitch

Default Cosmos atrosanguineus

Last year I left them in the border and they died. I replaced them this year
but planted them in a south facing bed - they are still flowering like crazy
but should I lift them and if so how to keep over winter, or would it be
enough to mulch the crown and leave them in the bed. Was it the wet, cold or
both that did for last year's?

Old 28-10-2004, 05:48 AM
Magwitch

Franz Heymann muttered:

"Magwitch" wrote in message
Last year I left them in the border and they died. I replaced them

this year
but planted them in a south facing bed - they are still flowering

like crazy
but should I lift them and if so how to keep over winter, or would

it be
enough to mulch the crown and leave them in the bed. Was it the wet,

cold or
both that did for last year's?

I think it would be best to lift the tubers now and overwinter them
indoors, as they are not really hardy plants.

Franz

Thanks... will do that thing.

Old 28-10-2004, 06:24 PM
Sacha

On 28/10/04 5:48, in article ,
"Magwitch" wrote:

Franz Heymann muttered:

"Magwitch" wrote in message
Last year I left them in the border and they died. I replaced them

this year
but planted them in a south facing bed - they are still flowering

like crazy
but should I lift them and if so how to keep over winter, or would

it be
enough to mulch the crown and leave them in the bed. Was it the wet,

cold or
both that did for last year's?

I think it would be best to lift the tubers now and overwinter them
indoors, as they are not really hardy plants.

Franz

Thanks... will do that thing.

Franz is correct. I asked Ray about this and he said overwinter them
somewhere frost free. As they're still flowering, perhaps you could move
them into a pot of compost and bring them in?
We have never managed to keep them in the ground through the winter here.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 29-10-2004, 01:46 AM
Janet Galpin

The message
from Sacha contains these words:

On 28/10/04 5:48, in article ,
"Magwitch" wrote:

Franz Heymann muttered:

"Magwitch" wrote in message

should I lift them and if so how to keep over winter, or would
it be
enough to mulch the crown and leave them in the bed. Was it the wet,
cold or
both that did for last year's?

I think it would be best to lift the tubers now and overwinter them
indoors, as they are not really hardy plants.

Franz

Franz is correct. I asked Ray about this and he said overwinter them
somewhere frost free. As they're still flowering, perhaps you could move
them into a pot of compost and bring them in?
We have never managed to keep them in the ground through the winter here.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
South Devon
(remove the weeds to email me)

They must be very borderline. My mother has kept a plant in her borders
for about five years now (Staffs). She has very free-draining soil.
On the other hand, I've lost them, through rotting, when I've kept them
in the greenhouse.
Janet G

Old 29-10-2004, 08:14 AM
Glen Able

"Magwitch" wrote in message
Last year I left them in the border and they died. I replaced them this

year
but planted them in a south facing bed - they are still flowering like

crazy
but should I lift them and if so how to keep over winter, or would it be
enough to mulch the crown and leave them in the bed. Was it the wet, cold

or
both that did for last year's?

From what I've read on the web, I reckon I'm going to give mine a good
covering of compost and leave them in the ground (I'm in Oxon). Also
vaguely wondering if I could cover the compost with polythene so they don't
get too waterlogged.

As they've pretty much given up flowering now, can anyone tell me whether I
should chop all the foliage back? Or just let it die back naturally?

cheers,
G.A.

Old 29-10-2004, 08:20 AM
Sacha

On 29/10/04 8:14, in article , "Glen
Able" wrote:

snip

From what I've read on the web, I reckon I'm going to give mine a good
covering of compost and leave them in the ground (I'm in Oxon). Also
vaguely wondering if I could cover the compost with polythene so they don't
get too waterlogged.

As they've pretty much given up flowering now, can anyone tell me whether I
should chop all the foliage back? Or just let it die back naturally?

I'd let it die back naturally but I think there's a very good chance you'll
lose them if you leave them in the ground. ;-(
I don't think polythene will help, the rainwater will still leach into the
ground from round the sides.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 29-10-2004, 08:38 AM
Glen Able

"Sacha" wrote in message
k...
On 29/10/04 8:14, in article , "Glen
Able" wrote:

snip

From what I've read on the web, I reckon I'm going to give mine a good
covering of compost and leave them in the ground (I'm in Oxon). Also
vaguely wondering if I could cover the compost with polythene so they

don't
get too waterlogged.

As they've pretty much given up flowering now, can anyone tell me

whether I
should chop all the foliage back? Or just let it die back naturally?

I'd let it die back naturally but I think there's a very good chance

you'll
lose them if you leave them in the ground. ;-(
I don't think polythene will help, the rainwater will still leach into the
ground from round the sides.
--
Sacha

Yeah, I wasn't thinking about keeping them bone dry, but just stopping them
from being waterlogged for long periods. I've heard it suggested that
they'll survive below -5C with a good mulch, but they'll quickly rot if
they're left soaking.

Also, digging them up could possibly result in me getting all dirty and
tired

Old 29-10-2004, 10:33 AM
Paul Richards

"Janet Galpin" wrote in message
The message
from Sacha contains these words:

On 28/10/04 5:48, in article ,
"Magwitch" wrote:

Franz Heymann muttered:

"Magwitch" wrote in message

[...]

We've had one outside in our border in London for the past 2 winters
but again, our soil is VERY free-draining.
Sheila

Old 29-10-2004, 03:46 PM
Sacha

On 29/10/04 8:38, in article , "Glen
Able" wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
k...

snip I'd let it die back naturally but I think there's a very good
chance
you'll
lose them if you leave them in the ground. ;-(
I don't think polythene will help, the rainwater will still leach into the
ground from round the sides.
--
Sacha

Yeah, I wasn't thinking about keeping them bone dry, but just stopping them
from being waterlogged for long periods. I've heard it suggested that
they'll survive below -5C with a good mulch, but they'll quickly rot if
they're left soaking.

Also, digging them up could possibly result in me getting all dirty and
tired

Yes but you won't rot - probably. ;-)
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 29-10-2004, 03:48 PM
Sacha

On 29/10/04 10:33, in article , "Paul
Richards" wrote:

snip

We've had one outside in our border in London for the past 2 winters
but again, our soil is VERY free-draining.
Sheila

And depending on which part of London you're in, you may get little to no
frost.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 29-10-2004, 05:21 PM
Rodger Whitlock

On Thu, 28 Oct 2004 12:57:15 +0000 (UTC), "Franz Heymann"
wrote:

I think it would be best to lift the tubers now and overwinter them
indoors, as they are not really hardy plants.

"Indoors" meaning, I hope, cold but frost-free. You want them to stay
dormant until spring. Very much like dahlia tubers.

Bring them into ordinary room temperature and you'll have a hell of a
time getting them through the winter.

--
Rodger Whitlock
Victoria, BC, Canada
Old 29-10-2004, 08:19 PM
Franz Heymann

wrote:

I think it would be best to lift the tubers now and overwinter

them
indoors, as they are not really hardy plants.

"Indoors" meaning, I hope, cold but frost-free. You want them to

stay
dormant until spring. Very much like dahlia tubers.

Bring them into ordinary room temperature and you'll have a hell of

time getting them through the winter.

Yes. your amplification is entirely correct.

Franz

Rhodochiton atrosanguineus Janet Tweedy[_2_] United Kingdom 4 07-11-2012 02:52 AM
Perhaps Romanian Cosmos? John McGaw Gardening 1 29-01-2004 01:12 PM
Cosmos D.H.Grant Gardening 1 24-09-2003 04:32 AM
is cosmos easy to grow from seed? jayjay United Kingdom 3 09-08-2003 09:22 PM
Pinch Cosmos Seedlings for Bushiness? Fleemo Gardening 1 29-04-2003 09:56 AM