Old 01-12-2004, 08:27 AM
Franz Heymann

"loop" wrote in message

Mike Lyle Wrote:
loop wrote:
[...]-
Is there a permanent (but safe for pets and kids) weedkiller-
solution-
that will work? Something fairly fast that'll kill root deep? And-
will-
prevent the same from happening again? I have refrained from
mowing/cutting as I thought that the said weedkiller may need to

be
absorbed through the leaves.-

My suggestion of inviting a charity to come in and dig them up for
their own purposes was perfectly serious. The delay in people

giving
you direct replies was just because there was a delay in

identifying
the plant, not because we weren't taking you seriously.

If you prefer simply to knock them out, then glyphosate properly

used
will be harmless. Yes, it should be applied when the leaves are
developed and the plant is in full growth; but for now there's
nothing wrong with mowing, if they're still in leaf. I'm not
convinced that a standard lawn weedkiller will work for you, so

it's
a case of kill the lot and resow with lawn seed.

There will be some seeds or maybe bulbils left behind after the
weedkiller has killed off the plants; but mowing will stop them.

For
the flowerbeds it'll be a case of hand-weeding for a year or two;

but
I'd suggest leaving a few clumps in the beds, as they're fine

plants
when they know their place.

Mike.

Thanks Mike,

Sorry if my replies are 'out of sinc' I am not used to this layout.

Are you saying now is not a good time to use glyphosate?

Probably not. I have always been led to believe that the weeds have
to be in a growing mood for glyphosate to be effective. I have never
tried it in winter. The stuff is too expensive to play games like
that with it. {:-((

Franz

Old 01-12-2004, 08:41 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franz Heymann
"loop" wrote in message

Mike Lyle Wrote:
loop wrote:
[...]-
[...]

Thanks Franz,

So I can quite hapilly mow, pull-out, and strim all the garlick now then?

Cheers

Loop
Old 02-12-2004, 02:53 AM
Dave Poole

Kay wrote:

Fitter et al 'Wild Flower of Britain and Ireland' shows them to be
distributed all across the British isles with the exceptions of part of
E Anglia,...

Not having visited every county and not being an officionado of wild
flower save orchids and a few oddities, I used an old Collins book for
reference on distribution. It must be wildly out of date, citing that
Ramsons is "locally abundant" where it occurs and :"most prevalent in
southern counties" and: "largely absent in the north and east".

As to that pic of the 'Three-cornered Leek lawn' - what a show! Far
more impressive than any mixture of brown-top, fescues and dwarf rye!
If it has to go, then several applications of glyphosate when growing
strongly should see it off. However, the light, waxy cuticle of the
leaves will cause a great deal of run-off, so a teaspoonful of washing
up liquid should be added so that the solution adheres for longer,
thereby increasing the amount absorbed. It needs to be done in spring
and early summer - plant metabolism will be at its lowest now and the
effect will be greatly diminished.

Dave Poole
Torquay, Coastal South Devon UK
Winter min -2°C. Summer max 34°C.
Growing season: March - November
Old 02-12-2004, 01:54 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Poole
Kay wrote:

[...]

Thanks Dave,

I only live about 3 miles from you BTW (Preston)

Will cutting them back now help (or not help) in my fight to eradicate this weed from my garden?

Cheers

Loop
Old 03-12-2004, 09:59 AM
Des Higgins

"Mike Lyle" wrote in message
loop wrote:
[...]
[...]

I have just been away for a week;
so which allium was it in the end?

Old 03-12-2004, 11:10 AM
Mike Lyle

Des Higgins wrote:
"Mike Lyle" wrote:

[...]
I'd suggest leaving a few clumps in the beds, as they're fine

plants
when they know their place.

Mike.

I have just been away for a week;
so which allium was it in the end?

We reckoned triquetrum: "Three-cornered Leek".

Mike.

Old 03-12-2004, 11:37 AM
Des Higgins

"Mike Lyle" wrote in message
Des Higgins wrote:
"Mike Lyle" wrote:

[...]
I'd suggest leaving a few clumps in the beds, as they're fine

plants
when they know their place.

Mike.

I have just been away for a week;
so which allium was it in the end?

We reckoned triquetrum: "Three-cornered Leek".

Who is this "we" :-).
I said triquetrum from teh start and you said it was too cold.

I had it bad in one garden in Cork. Whenever I see the words garlic and
invasive near each other in a sentence I think triquetrum.

Mike.

Old 03-12-2004, 01:02 PM
Mike Lyle

Des Higgins wrote:
"Mike Lyle" wrote in message
Des Higgins wrote:

[...]
I have just been away for a week;
so which allium was it in the end?

We reckoned triquetrum: "Three-cornered Leek".

Who is this "we" :-).
I said triquetrum from teh start and you said it was too cold.

I can't imagine that I said it was too cold in S. Devon. I do
remember saying I'd seen colonies of it in the wild in Cornwall.
[...]

Mike.

Old 03-12-2004, 01:42 PM
Des Higgins

"Mike Lyle" wrote in message
Des Higgins wrote:
"Mike Lyle" wrote in message
Des Higgins wrote:

[...]
I have just been away for a week;
so which allium was it in the end?

We reckoned triquetrum: "Three-cornered Leek".

Who is this "we" :-).
I said triquetrum from teh start and you said it was too cold.

I can't imagine that I said it was too cold in S. Devon. I do
remember saying I'd seen colonies of it in the wild in Cornwall.
[...]

Mike.

"Des Higgins wrote:
[...]
Does it have triangular cross-section stems?
If so it is an intreoduced garlic called Allium triquetrum which is
very invasive ok.
If you keep mowing the grass, it will get worn out eventually.
In borders, just keep pulling it out. It will persist for ages but
will become manageable if you keep going at it.

Except that it isn't fully hardy in most parts of England, is it?
I've seen it in moderate profusion in the wild in Cornwall, but I
doubt if it would spread like a weed in cooler areas.

Mike."

Old 03-12-2004, 02:20 PM
Mike Lyle

Des Higgins wrote:
"Mike Lyle" wrote in message
Des Higgins wrote:
"Mike Lyle" wrote in message
Des Higgins wrote:

[...]
I have just been away for a week;
so which allium was it in the end?

We reckoned triquetrum: "Three-cornered Leek".

Who is this "we" :-).
I said triquetrum from teh start and you said it was too cold.

I can't imagine that I said it was too cold in S. Devon. I do
remember saying I'd seen colonies of it in the wild in Cornwall.
[...]

Mike.

"Des Higgins wrote:
[...]
Does it have triangular cross-section stems?
If so it is an intreoduced garlic called Allium triquetrum which

is
very invasive ok.
If you keep mowing the grass, it will get worn out eventually.
In borders, just keep pulling it out. It will persist for ages

but
will become manageable if you keep going at it.

Except that it isn't fully hardy in most parts of England, is it?
I've seen it in moderate profusion in the wild in Cornwall, but I
doubt if it would spread like a weed in cooler areas.

Well, is South Devon significantly cooler than Cornwall in general?
And I don't remember the OP saying where he was. But do carry on
having fun: I'm sure I've uttered some _genuine_ bloopers here, if
you want to Google.

Mike.

Old 03-12-2004, 03:20 PM
Des Higgins

"Mike Lyle" wrote in message
Des Higgins wrote:
"Mike Lyle" wrote in message
Des Higgins wrote:
"Mike Lyle" wrote in message
Des Higgins wrote:
[...]
I have just been away for a week;
so which allium was it in the end?

We reckoned triquetrum: "Three-cornered Leek".

Who is this "we" :-).
I said triquetrum from teh start and you said it was too cold.

I can't imagine that I said it was too cold in S. Devon. I do
remember saying I'd seen colonies of it in the wild in Cornwall.
[...]

Mike.

"Des Higgins wrote:
[...]
Does it have triangular cross-section stems?
If so it is an intreoduced garlic called Allium triquetrum which

is
very invasive ok.
If you keep mowing the grass, it will get worn out eventually.
In borders, just keep pulling it out. It will persist for ages

but
will become manageable if you keep going at it.

Except that it isn't fully hardy in most parts of England, is it?
I've seen it in moderate profusion in the wild in Cornwall, but I
doubt if it would spread like a weed in cooler areas.

Well, is South Devon significantly cooler than Cornwall in general?
And I don't remember the OP saying where he was. But do carry on
having fun: I'm sure I've uttered some _genuine_ bloopers here, if
you want to Google.

Mike.

OP asks what is this plant?
I said Allium triuquetrum.
You said surely not.
I said let's see pictures then.
I go away for a week and when I come back I ask what it was after all then.
You say "we" said Allium triqetrum.
Mother of divine sweet jayzes make up your mind.

Old 03-12-2004, 05:55 PM
Mike Lyle

Des Higgins wrote:
"Mike Lyle" wrote in message
Des Higgins wrote:
"Mike Lyle" wrote in message
Des Higgins wrote:
"Mike Lyle" wrote in

message
Des Higgins wrote:
[...]
I have just been away for a week;
so which allium was it in the end?

We reckoned triquetrum: "Three-cornered Leek".

Who is this "we" :-).
I said triquetrum from teh start and you said it was too cold.

I can't imagine that I said it was too cold in S. Devon. I do
remember saying I'd seen colonies of it in the wild in Cornwall.
[...]

Mike.

"Des Higgins wrote:
[...]
[...]

I don't quite understand what's bothering you. I didn't say "surely
not", I said, according to the quotation above, that I doubted if it
would spread like a weed in cooler areas, preceding that with a
request for confirmation that it wasn't fully hardy in most parts of
England. Seems reasonable enough to me. I don't think we knew the OP
was in South Devon, which we all know is not a cooler area.

There was a question-and-answer session going on during which I did
make up my mind, and became one of the "we" whose entry you are
guarding, and offered some reasonable advice. As I say, I don't
really understand what the difficulty is.

Mike.

Old 03-12-2004, 11:25 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lyle
Des Higgins wrote:
"Mike Lyle" wrote in message
Des Higgins wrote:
"Mike Lyle"
wrote in message
Des Higgins wrote:
"Mike Lyle"
wrote in

message
Des Higgins wrote:
[...]
I have just been away for a week;
so which allium was it in the end?

We reckoned triquetrum: "Three-cornered Leek".

Who is this "we" :-).
I said triquetrum from teh start and you said it was too cold.

I can't imagine that I said it was too cold in S. Devon. I do
remember saying I'd seen colonies of it in the wild in Cornwall.
[...]

Mike.

"Des Higgins wrote:
[...]
[...]

At the end of the day I am grateful for the help I've had here, but all I want is good advice on how to tackle the problem of getting rid of it in the easiest, and most effective way.

Loop
Old 04-12-2004, 02:30 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by loop
At the end of the day I am grateful for the help I've had here
Loop

UPDATE

We have started, and I can certainly see the likeness to leeks! for anybody who is interested I have taken some pictures.

http://www.xp5.co.uk/garlick2/

Thanks to everyone who has helped

Loop
Old 05-12-2004, 11:45 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by loop
for anybody who is interested I have taken some pictures.

http://www.xp5.co.uk/garlick2/
LOL! It seems nobody IS interested!

Wild Hogs Becoming A Big Problem To Farmers And Gardeners.......... EVP MAN Gardening 29 06-02-2011 08:46 PM
A Buxus Problem, and a Pelargonium problem :-( ZoeM United Kingdom 11 18-07-2008 09:08 AM
Wild Garlick problem lizzie Gardening 1 22-05-2006 12:21 AM
Wild wild rocket Mike Lyle United Kingdom 28 01-08-2004 09:51 PM
Wild garlic Chris Hogg United Kingdom 0 30-03-2003 02:33 AM