Old 25-11-2004, 11:55 AM
Registered User

Unhappy wild garlick problem

Hi,

Last year we cultivated an area of garden for my children to play in.

We used Tumbleweed to destroy all the weeds, rotivated serval times, made borders, laid turf, planted bulbs etc.

Now it is a sea of green. Wild garlick everywhere. It is a foot high over the whole lawn, borders and everything.

What can I do to destroy it for good? Do I use a weed killer that goes down into the roots, wait, and start again?

Thanks
Old 25-11-2004, 01:24 PM
Kay

In article , loop loop.1ga2jn@news
..gardenbanter.co.uk writes

Hi,

Last year we cultivated an area of garden for my children to play in.

We used Tumbleweed to destroy all the weeds, rotivated serval times,
made borders, laid turf, planted bulbs etc.

Now it is a sea of green. Wild garlick everywhere. It is a foot high
over the whole lawn, borders and everything.

Are you sure you mean wild garlic? Garlic smelling bulb that has wide
green leaves from the base and clusters of small white flowers in the
spring, and which then dies down over the summer? It doesn't grow as
high as a foot and it wouldn't colonise that area that quickly.

Do you mean hedge garlic, a member of the cabbage family, less strong
garlic small, smaller leaves all the way the stem, clusters of white
flowers, actively growing from spring through to autumn? I'm surprised
that regular mowing hasn't stopped it in the lawn. It's not a
particularly persistent weed, so pulling it out wherever you see it
should get rid of it, then next year pulling out any new seedlings.
You'll probably always have it around, but you should be able to keep it
well under control.

--
Kay

Old 25-11-2004, 03:32 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from loop contains these words:

Last year we cultivated an area of garden for my children to play in.

We used Tumbleweed to destroy all the weeds, rotivated serval times,
made borders, laid turf, planted bulbs etc.

Now it is a sea of green. Wild garlick everywhere. It is a foot high
over the whole lawn, borders and everything.

What can I do to destroy it for good? Do I use a weed killer that goes
down into the roots, wait, and start again?

Dig it up and send it to me...

....if it really is any sort of garlic. Doesn't sound like it, though.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old 25-11-2004, 04:44 PM
Franz Heymann

"loop" wrote in message

Hi,

Last year we cultivated an area of garden for my children to play

in.

We used Tumbleweed to destroy all the weeds, rotivated serval times,
made borders, laid turf, planted bulbs etc.

Now it is a sea of green. Wild garlick everywhere. It is a foot high
over the whole lawn, borders and everything.

What can I do to destroy it for good? Do I use a weed killer that

goes
down into the roots, wait, and start again?

If you mow it very regularly, the grass will ultimately win.

Franz

Old 26-11-2004, 12:51 AM
Registered User

Hi Kay,

You may be right, I cannot tell one type from another, I can post pics if it helps

Cheers

Loop

Old 26-11-2004, 12:55 AM
Registered User

We are beyond mowing.

It has taken over the whole garden. We have mown over and over and the garlick is winning. I am prepared to flatten the lot and start over if it means the end of this. I can post a pic if it helps.

thanks to everyone who has replied

Loop
Old 26-11-2004, 08:37 AM
Kay

In article , loop loop.1gazwk@news
..gardenbanter.co.uk writes

-
[...]

If you post pics to a website and post the url here, it would give an
idea. Hedge garlic isn't a particularly difficult weed, so before
advising you on that, it would be as well to check that you haven't got
anything worse.
--
Kay

Old 26-11-2004, 10:06 AM
Des Higgins

"Kay" wrote in message
In article , loop loop.1gazwl@news
.gardenbanter.co.uk writes

Jaques d'Alltrades Wrote:
The message
from loop
contains these words:
-
Last year we cultivated an area of garden for my children to play
in.-
-
We used Tumbleweed to destroy all the weeds, rotivated serval times,
made borders, laid turf, planted bulbs etc.-
-
Now it is a sea of green. Wild garlick everywhere. It is a foot high
over the whole lawn, borders and everything.-
-
What can I do to destroy it for good? Do I use a weed killer that
goes
down into the roots, wait, and start again?-

Dig it up and send it to me...

....if it really is any sort of garlic. Doesn't sound like it, though.

It smells strongly of garlick when cut. It has small white bulbs. It
flowers white.

Not hedge garlic. Sounds like wild garlic. I'm astonished that it is as
thick as you say, and also that it is around at this time of year - it
should have died down. If it is wild garlic, it must have been in the
soil before - it can't have grown that much from seed in one year - I'd
I am surprised that it survived all the disturbance.
--
Kay

That could be Allium triquetrum (an introduced species) rather than the
usual native Allium ursinum.
It has triangular stems (triangular crosssection).
It IS very invasive.
I have seen it in the open on the Dublin coast and we had it in our back
garden in Cork.
I asssume it is also escaped in the UK.
Mowing controls it in lawns, just about, but it will keep coming back for
ages from nooks and crannies where bulbs are hidden away. In borders we
just kept pulling it out and it eventually thinned out.

Old 26-11-2004, 10:10 AM
Des Higgins

"loop" wrote in message

Kay Wrote:
[...]

Does it have triangular cross-section stems?
If so it is an intreoduced garlic called Allium triquetrum which is very
invasive ok.
If you keep mowing the grass, it will get worn out eventually.
In borders, just keep pulling it out. It will persist for ages but will
become manageable if you keep going at it.

Cheers

Loop

--
loop

Old 26-11-2004, 12:21 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from loop contains these words:

It smells strongly of garlick when cut. It has small white bulbs. It
flowers white.

Hum. But ransomes doesn't grow to that height - well, I've never seen it
that high.

But I'll still have a bundle oddem...

Old 26-11-2004, 04:07 PM
Mike Lyle

Des Higgins wrote:
[...]
Does it have triangular cross-section stems?
If so it is an intreoduced garlic called Allium triquetrum which is
very invasive ok.
If you keep mowing the grass, it will get worn out eventually.
In borders, just keep pulling it out. It will persist for ages but
will become manageable if you keep going at it.

Except that it isn't fully hardy in most parts of England, is it?
I've seen it in moderate profusion in the wild in Cornwall, but I
doubt if it would spread like a weed in cooler areas.

Mike.

Old 26-11-2004, 04:25 PM
Des Higgins

"Mike Lyle" wrote in message
Des Higgins wrote:
[...]
Does it have triangular cross-section stems?
If so it is an intreoduced garlic called Allium triquetrum which is
very invasive ok.
If you keep mowing the grass, it will get worn out eventually.
In borders, just keep pulling it out. It will persist for ages but
will become manageable if you keep going at it.

Except that it isn't fully hardy in most parts of England, is it?
I've seen it in moderate profusion in the wild in Cornwall, but I
doubt if it would spread like a weed in cooler areas.

I have seen it in rampant in several places in Dublin which is not exactly
tropical although it is milder than much of the UK.
Anyway, it either is or it isn't. If he can post a photo we will soon find
out.

Mike.

Wild Hogs Becoming A Big Problem To Farmers And Gardeners.......... EVP MAN Gardening 29 06-02-2011 08:46 PM
A Buxus Problem, and a Pelargonium problem :-( ZoeM United Kingdom 11 18-07-2008 09:08 AM
Wild Garlick problem lizzie Gardening 1 22-05-2006 12:21 AM
Wild wild rocket Mike Lyle United Kingdom 28 01-08-2004 09:51 PM
Wild garlic Chris Hogg United Kingdom 0 30-03-2003 02:33 AM