Old 02-12-2004, 01:39 PM
Sacha

Default OT - Amazon uk

Both a query and perhaps a warning - has anyone else found that Amazon.co.uk
is duplicating orders or am I just the lucky one? I have, so far, received
three copies of two books and two copies of a DVD, been told today that some
of these, plus one other book are being sent out to be *again* today and
that a piece of electronic equipment I ordered was still on order, even
after I'd received it. The last I managed to cancel - I think. I have
emailed two or three times asking for return labels and explaining the
problem and received NO helpful response and no labels. I've just emailed
again, giving the same plea for some return to sanity.
Is anyone else finding this problem with Amazon? Usually I find their
service to be excellent.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 02-12-2004, 02:08 PM
Alan R Williams

Sacha writes:

Both a query and perhaps a warning - has anyone else found that Amazon.co.uk
is duplicating orders or am I just the lucky one? I have, so far, received
three copies of two books and two copies of a DVD, been told today that some
of these, plus one other book are being sent out to be *again* today and
that a piece of electronic equipment I ordered was still on order, even
after I'd received it. The last I managed to cancel - I think. I have
emailed two or three times asking for return labels and explaining the
problem and received NO helpful response and no labels. I've just emailed
again, giving the same plea for some return to sanity.
Is anyone else finding this problem with Amazon? Usually I find their
service to be excellent.

You're lucky. I had an order that was stuck in "despatching soon" for
days. A colleague also had the same problem but the order finally
switched status to something else and he was able to cancel it. Now
we know what their warehouse is busy doing :-)

--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Alan

--
Alan Williams, Room IT301, Department of Computer Science,
University of Manchester, Oxford Road, Manchester, M13 9PL, U.K.
Old 02-12-2004, 04:24 PM
Mike

Not Amazon, but I have been having difficulty, and so has the Company I
organise my ex Service Reunions through, with Viking Direct. They have
"Always" been wonderful, but I have had to wait a week, (and that was a week
of chasing), for over 12 thousand address labels I urgently wanted, along
with 16 reams of paper and thousands of envelopes. They have put me a week
behind :-((

I have it all now and I feel that it is their carriers who are at fault, but
I have received a replacement package which included free gratis chocolates
:-))

(Good for a cough)

Mike

--
..

Old 02-12-2004, 06:55 PM
Mike

You will find, that if you notify them in writing, (so I recommend recorded
delivery and proof of posting) that these duplicate goods are NOT ordered,
because you are already in possession of said goods ordered and paid for on
*****, and that unless they come and collect them within X Days (this being
a reasonable time, i,e, 28 days), then you will regard them as "An
unsolicited Gift" and you will retain then as will be your right under the
"Unsolicited Goods Act"

Been there and done that

and it works

Don't bother with telephone calls etc. Just write. Once.

Mike

--
H.M.S.Collingwood Ass. Llandudno 20 - 23 May Trip to Portmeirion
National Service (RAF) Ass. Cosford 24 - 27 June Lanc Bomber Fly Past
"Sacha" wrote in message
k...
On 2/12/04 13:58, in article ,
"Martin" wrote:

On Thu, 02 Dec 2004 13:39:28 +0000, Sacha
wrote:

Both a query and perhaps a warning - has anyone else found that

Amazon.co.uk
is duplicating orders or am I just the lucky one?

snip

No, we sold our surplus copy. There's no way, after being ripped off
with an Amazon P&P charge, that I am going to post a book back at my
expense.

But that is the point. You shouldn't have to do it at your expense. You
*should* be able to go into your account and in a particular section,
request a return label. As my account now is so muddled and so many

orders
have the same or different numbers, I have asked for several return

labels.
But apparently, there is no mechanism that covers their *mistakes* unless

go through a very laborious process of giving all the order numbers,
declaring what is wrong with the goods (which does not cover their cock

up)
In the meantime, it looks as if I will, tomorrow, receive yet another set

of
books and a DVD I've already had twice. At least. I think.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 02-12-2004, 07:32 PM
ned

"Mike" wrote in message
Not Amazon, but I have been having difficulty, and so has the

Company I
organise my ex Service Reunions through, with Viking Direct. They

have
"Always" been wonderful, but I have had to wait a week, (and that

was a week
of chasing), for over 12 thousand address labels I urgently wanted,

along
with 16 reams of paper and thousands of envelopes. They have put me

a week
behind :-((

I have it all now and I feel that it is their carriers who are at

fault, but
I have received a replacement package which included free gratis

chocolates
:-))

Not Amazon. Not Viking Direct. But Screwfix.
Again, a company I have dealt with for ages with no complaint, but
this last order never arrived.
Telephoned and was told to re-order.
Noticed that my on-line account was being invoiced for both orders.
Immediately rang to cancel one of them.
Nope. That was impossible. The despatch process was under way.
Both orders arrived together by the same courier.
Had to phone them to organise a 'returns' collection.
Had no acknowledgement of the return.
E-mailed them.
Had a phone call acknowledgement.
Lets see if the credit card account gets re-imbursed!

Summats up! :-(

--
ned

http://www.bugsandweeds.co.uk
last update 12.11.2004

Old 02-12-2004, 08:02 PM
Mike

There you are Sacha, got it in duplicate :-))

Must be right

--
H.M.S.Collingwood Ass. Llandudno 20 - 23 May Trip to Portmeirion
National Service (RAF) Ass. Cosford 24 - 27 June Lanc Bomber Fly Past
H.M.S.Impregnable Ass. Sussex 1 - 3 July Visit to Int. Fest of the Sea
British Pacific Fleet. Derby 2 - 5 Sept. Visit to Denby Pottery
"Janet Baraclough.." wrote in message
The message
from Sacha contains these words:

Both a query and perhaps a warning -

Hope they aren't making the same number of mistakes on your creditcard
account :-(

When a company sends you unsolicited goods,(which includes a wrong
order) all you need do is notify them (recorded delivery) that they have
28 days to make arrangements at their own expense to retrieve their
property. If they don't collect (or send you a post-paid return packet),
after 28 days you can keep the goods. You're also entitled to reasonable
compensation for your time and expenses for letters, phone calls etc.

If you do return the goods, get a certificate of posting for each
item, to prove you did.

Janet.

Old 02-12-2004, 10:14 PM
Neil Tonks

Screwfix (owned by the same company as B&Q, incidentally) have been having a
lot of problems. They moved their warehouse half way across the country
earlier this year, losing many of their experienced staff in the process.
Since then there has been chaos. They regularly stop taking orders (once
they shut the website down for several days, I believe) so they can catch up
with backlogs. Given that, it's perhaps not surprising that orders get lost.

It's what comes of trying to 'improve' a system which was working perfectly
well!

Neil.

Old 02-12-2004, 11:09 PM
Tracey

wrote:

Is anyone else finding this problem with Amazon? Usually I find their
service to be excellent.

I have received excellent service both in the past and very recently.
I ordered items last Friday (26 Nov) and Saturday (27 Nov) which both
arrived very promptly. I have not (yet?) received duplicates.

Regards, VivienB

Me too. I've been very impressed by their service (which I've been using a
lot recently for Xmas presents) and have had no problems at all.

Tracey

Old 02-12-2004, 11:42 PM
Bob Hobden

"Mike" wrote ...
You will find, that if you notify them in writing, (so I recommend
recorded
delivery and proof of posting) that these duplicate goods are NOT ordered,
because you are already in possession of said goods ordered and paid for
on
*****, and that unless they come and collect them within X Days (this
being
a reasonable time, i,e, 28 days), then you will regard them as "An
unsolicited Gift" and you will retain then as will be your right under the
"Unsolicited Goods Act"

Yes, Mike's right. A friend had two expensive gas ovens delivered outside
her door, after they failed to deliver one on the agreed date, and she did
as Mike says having phoned and got no sense. Never heard another word so
still has a spare brand new oven in the garage for when hers goes wrong.

Old 03-12-2004, 06:11 AM
Alan Gould

In article , Mike
writes
Not Amazon, but I have been having difficulty, and so has the Company I
organise my ex Service Reunions through, with Viking Direct. They have
"Always" been wonderful, but I have had to wait a week, (and that was a week
of chasing), for over 12 thousand address labels I urgently wanted, along
with 16 reams of paper and thousands of envelopes. They have put me a week
behind :-((

I have it all now and I feel that it is their carriers who are at fault, but
I have received a replacement package which included free gratis chocolates
:-))

(Good for a cough)

We've had excellent service from both Amazon and Screwfix, but we had a
very nasty run in 2-3 years ago with World Books trading as part of BCA
Swindon. Months of hassle over unordered books involved threats of court
action, two Credit Reference Agencies and eventually the Financial
Services Authority. It is all cleared up now and we paid nothing.

I mention this here because the whole thing began with a BCA promotional
of RHS Encyclopedias, which I believe they are still running. The offer
was quite a good one, but it turned very sour in the end.
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.
Old 03-12-2004, 08:23 AM
Mike

..

It's what comes of trying to 'improve' a system which was working

perfectly
well!

Neil.

"If it aint broke, don't fix it"

Old 03-12-2004, 08:26 AM
Mike

Will do and thank you.
--

My pleasure :-))

Old 03-12-2004, 01:00 PM
Victoria Clare

Sacha wrote in
k:

Both a query and perhaps a warning - has anyone else found that
Amazon.co.uk is duplicating orders or am I just the lucky one?

No duplicate orders.

They did change one item on my big Christmas order from 24 hour delivery to
5-6 weeks without telling me though.

Good thing I checked: the whole order had changed to estimated delivery of
5th January!

Victoria
--
gardening on a north-facing hill