Old 11-12-2004, 10:26 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Robert" contains these words:

No you're wrong Franz, builder's lime is no use to the garden whatsoever

You're both wrong innit.

The builder's lime I used to use was calcium oxide, and when that is
hydrated it becomes slaked lime, or calcium hydroxide, and is plenty of
use on the garden.

Assuming you want to raise the pH, of course.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old 11-12-2004, 10:27 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Robert" contains these words:

ps Slaked lime is not builder's lime, slaked lime is gardeners' lime.
Builders' lime is hydrated lime. So we are as one even though we
didn't know
it lol. Merry Christmas Franz

Hydrated lime *IS* slaked lime.

Old 11-12-2004, 10:32 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Mike Lyle" contains these words:

Have I been labouring under a serious misapprehension?

No. Not very serious ones, anyway. Builder's lime is (or should be)
completely unhydrated. (And is bad news for the skin.)

It was always presumed that because of its caustic nature it would
destroy bodies, and several murderers have come to grief because it in
fact tends to preserve the body.

Executed murderers were (unless this is UL) buried in a bed of quicklime
until it was discovered that it didn't have the intended effect. It is
still widely believed to get rid of bodies...

Old 11-12-2004, 10:34 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message k
from "Phil L" contains these words:

You can use gardeners lime to make mortar.
They are both the same basic compound, except for gardens it has been slaked
and then dried, builders (who still use it) slake their own, IE: drop it
into a dustbin full of cold water, wait until it stops boiling, then use as
normal...slaked means it has been added to water to take the fire out of it,
after this process it can be dried and doesn't need to be slaked again
before use, this is what you buy as gardeners lime.
If you find a plasterer and ask him to save all the old plaster rmoved from
old houses (not cement) it is a mixture of sand and lime (and
horsehair)...it breaks up the soil nicely and raises the alkalinity too.

HURRAH!

Old 11-12-2004, 10:34 PM
Franz Heymann

"Robert" wrote in message

"Franz Heymann" wrote in message
:
: "Robert" wrote in message
: ...
:
:
: :
: : If you want real lime, try a builder's merchant, especially

one
: who
: : sells lime mortars.
:
: Builder's lime is a different thing altogether and is inactive

on
: the
: garden.
:
: That is quite incorrect. Builders' lime is Calcium Hydroxide,

known
: as "slaked lime" It is an alkaline material which is very

frequently
: used to treat acid soil.

No you're wrong Franz, builder's lime is no use to the garden

whatsoever

No, an elementary knowledge of chemistry, aided by a few hundred
references in Google says I am right.
Biulders' Lime really is Calcium Hydroxide, known as "slaked lime"
It is an alkaline material which is very frequently used to treat
acid soil.

Franz

Old 11-12-2004, 10:34 PM
Franz Heymann

"Robert" wrote in message

"Franz Heymann" wrote in message
:
: "Robert" wrote in message
: ...
:
:
: :
: : If you want real lime, try a builder's merchant, especially

one
: who
: : sells lime mortars.
:
: Builder's lime is a different thing altogether and is inactive

on
: the
: garden.
:
: That is quite incorrect. Builders' lime is Calcium Hydroxide,

known
: as "slaked lime" It is an alkaline material which is very

frequently
: used to treat acid soil.
:
: [snip]
:
: Franz

ps Slaked lime is not builder's lime, slaked lime is gardeners'

lime.
Builders' lime is hydrated lime

You have your knickers in a twist. {:-((
The process of slaking quicklime is the process by which it is
hydrated.
Quicklime is calcium oxide. Hydrating it converts it into calcium
hydroxide.
Slaked lime, hydrated lime or builders' lime are all synonyms for
calcium hydroxide. It is used very frequently indeed for correcting
acidity in soils, as is powdered limestone, which is calcium
carbonate.

So we are as one even though we didn't know
it lol. Merry Christmas Franz

No, we are not even. You are wrong, pure and simple.
Merry Christmas.

Franz
:
:

Old 11-12-2004, 10:34 PM
Franz Heymann

"Sacha" wrote in message
k...
On 11/12/04 18:42, in article , "Mike

Lyle"
wrote:

Robert wrote:
"Franz Heymann" wrote in

message

"Robert" wrote in message

If you want real lime, try a builder's merchant, especially

one
who
sells lime mortars.

Builder's lime is a different thing altogether and is inactive

on
the
garden.

That is quite incorrect. Builders' lime is Calcium Hydroxide,

known
as "slaked lime" It is an alkaline material which is very

frequently
used to treat acid soil.

[snip]

Franz

ps Slaked lime is not builder's lime, slaked lime is gardeners'

lime.
Builders' lime is hydrated lime. So we are as one even though we
didn't know it lol. Merry Christmas Franz

Surely this can't be right? Calcium hydroxide is calcium

hydroxide,
whether you call it hydrated lime or slaked lime. You can't use
gardeners' lime to make mortar, but I thought that was just

because
the builder's version was "sharper", by virtue of being fresher

and
so not as thoroughly slaked. But you can certainly use builders'

lime
in the garden, though it washes out, and isn't safe for the skin

by
any means (it kills slugs): I'd use ground chalk or limestone.

Have I been labouring under a serious misapprehension?

Mike.

I found this:
"Lime: A substance sometimes applied to potting soils in order to

increase
the pH or alkalinity. The most common source of horticultural lime

is
calcium carbonate and dolomite. Lime is also used as a component of

some
fungicides such as Bordeaux Mix."
http://www.optimara.com/optimaraglossary/leo-lit.html

Dolomite is also a form of calcium carbonate.
Both calcium carbonate and calcium hydroxide are used to correct
acidity in the soil. When calcium hydroxide is applied to the soil,
it tends to convert into calcium carbonate, because of the presence of
CO3-- ions in the soil.

Franz

Old 11-12-2004, 10:34 PM
Franz Heymann

"Phil L" wrote in message
.uk...
Mike Lyle wrote:
:: Robert wrote:
::: "Franz Heymann" wrote in
::: message ...
::::
:::: "Robert" wrote in message
:::: ...
:::::
:::::
::::::
:::::: If you want real lime, try a builder's merchant, especially
:::::: one who sells lime mortars.
:::::
::::: Builder's lime is a different thing altogether and is inactive
::::: on the garden.
::::
:::: That is quite incorrect. Builders' lime is Calcium Hydroxide,
:::: known as "slaked lime" It is an alkaline material which is

very
:::: frequently used to treat acid soil.
::::
:::: [snip]
::::
:::: Franz
:::
::: ps Slaked lime is not builder's lime, slaked lime is gardeners'
::: lime. Builders' lime is hydrated lime. So we are as one even
::: though we didn't know it lol. Merry Christmas Franz
::
[...]

Nowadays indoor plaster is more likely to be based on calcium sulphate
(gypsum) rather than calcium hydroxide or calcium carbonate.

Franz

Old 11-12-2004, 10:34 PM
Franz Heymann

"Robert" wrote in message

:
: If you want real lime, try a builder's merchant, especially one

who
: sells lime mortars.

Builder's lime is a different thing altogether and is inactive on

the
garden. I am surprised that so many people do not use lime. It is

essential
where I garden in Plymouth as the soil will get 'sour' after too

long
without it as we are acid anyway. It is also useful to put in the

planting
hole to help prevent club root although the experts as usual dispel

this
notion.

Which experts? It is a well established experimental fact that
brassicas are protected from clubfoot by being grownj in soils with pH
in excess of about 8.5

Franz

Old 12-12-2004, 03:57 AM
andrewpreece

If you go to your local builders' merchants and ask for a bag of lime you
will not get quicklime, calcium oxide, since it is caustic stuff. You will
get hydrated, non-hydraulic lime; I know this because I have a bag of it.
Hydrated = slaked. Non-hydraulic means it will not set underwater.
I have no doubt quicklime can be obtained, but who wants to handle
such stuff, with all the dangers involved, when you would have to
hydrate/slake it yourself anyway. In olden days, limestone/chalk would be
fired to drive off the carbon dioxide, giving quicklime, calcium oxide; this
would then be slaked with water to give slaked/hydrated lime. Quicklime is
no good for building, it is an intermediate step. Lime mortar uses
hydrated/slaked lime with sand, in a 1:3 by volume mix. It takes weeks to go
off, and sets by reaction with co2 in the atmosphere, essentially turning
into limestone.
Hydrated building lime is essentially the same stuff that goes on your
garden.

Andy

Old 12-12-2004, 07:39 AM
Franz Heymann

"Jaques d'Alltrades" wrote in
message k...
The message
from "Mike Lyle" contains these

words:

Have I been labouring under a serious misapprehension?

No. Not very serious ones, anyway. Builder's lime is (or should be)
completely unhydrated. (And is bad news for the skin.)

Using Google on "Builders' Lime" turned up 110,000 hits. I stopped
looking after I found 20 which stated that builders' lime is slaked
lime or hydrated lime or calcium hydroxide.

It was always presumed that because of its caustic nature it would
destroy bodies, and several murderers have come to grief because it

in
fact tends to preserve the body.

Executed murderers were (unless this is UL) buried in a bed of

quicklime
until it was discovered that it didn't have the intended effect. It

is
still widely believed to get rid of bodies...

I found this interesting quote:

"When St Ignatius had died his mortal remains were covered in
quicklime and did not decompose quickly. That's why parts of his body
could easily be recognized and were taken away by these relic
hunters."

Franz

Old 12-12-2004, 08:30 AM
Robert

"Franz Heymann" wrote in message
:
: "Robert" wrote in message
: ...
:
: "Franz Heymann" wrote in message
: ...
: :
: : "Robert" wrote in message
: : ...
: :
: :
: : :
[...]
We'll have to agree to differ, my searches and the GQT team back me up but
who cares really lol. All the best
:

Old 12-12-2004, 08:31 AM
Robert

"Franz Heymann" wrote in message
:
: "Robert" wrote in message
: ...
:
: "Franz Heymann" wrote in message
: ...
: :
: : "Robert" wrote in message
: : ...
: :
: :
: : :
[...]
I don't think so but I have lost the will to care anymore lol. All the best

Old 12-12-2004, 12:55 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Franz Heymann" contains these words:

Biulders' Lime really is Calcium Hydroxide,

Calcium oxide

known as "slaked lime"

known as quicklime

It is an alkaline material which is very frequently used to treat
acid soil.

But that much is true.