Old 12-12-2004, 08:18 PM
Eric G

Default Mealybugs

I have a mealybug problem with my houseplants and wonder if someone
can offer some suggestions on how to get rid of the pests?

These are the white mealybugs.
I had to throw out 5 or 6 large Diefenbachia plants because they were
so infested that it was hopeless.

I have a few other plants infected with the mealybug but it isn't out
of control yet and don't want to lose the plants.

Using hydrogen peroxide with cotton swabs just isn't practical. It
takes forever just to do one plant.

I bought an insecticidal soap and have been using the spray once a
week on the plants, but the mealybugs still keep coming back.

I read about using biological control (beneficial insects) and would
like to explore this avenue if possible. Is it practical for indoor
plants? How do you go about the process?

Where do you find ladybugs in the freezing snow and cold now here in
Canada? How do you release ladybugs so they stay on the plant in
question and not fly away somewhere else?

Thanks in advance! Eric
Old 13-12-2004, 12:03 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from Eric G contains these words:

Where do you find ladybugs in the freezing snow and cold now here in
Canada? How do you release ladybugs so they stay on the plant in
question and not fly away somewhere else?

You'll find them hibernating in cracks and crevices - such as between a
window and its frame.

As long as there's food, they'll tend to stay on the plant. But be sure
your insecticides have worn off before you apply another insect...

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old 13-12-2004, 12:22 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric G
I have a mealybug problem with my houseplants and wonder if someone
can offer some suggestions on how to get rid of the pests?
theres no easy way to get rid of these ...if painting with whatever you used is too time-consuming ( we used to paint with meths)...then take a deep breath anf throw out all plants you suspect to be contaminated before the problem spreads even more.

on the subject of bio-control ...its the larva stage of ladybirds that do the eating...you need to hope the adults lay eggs on the infested plants...wont work in a house though...

finally you presumably brought these pests in on a new plant...check check check new plants for pests and diseases ..especially the underside of new growth ...before placing them among your treasures.
Old 13-12-2004, 04:06 AM
Eric G

Thanks Rusty for the tip.

Old 13-12-2004, 04:07 AM
Eric G

Thanks Eyebright for this info. I appreciate it.

Eric

Old 13-12-2004, 08:51 AM
Charlie Pridham

wrote:

Eric G Wrote:
I have a mealybug problem with my houseplants and wonder if someone
can offer some suggestions on how to get rid of the pests?

theres no easy way to get rid of these ...if painting with whatever you
used is too time-consuming ( we used to paint with meths)...then take a
deep breath anf throw out all plants you suspect to be contaminated
before the problem spreads even more.

on the subject of bio-control ...its the larva stage of ladybirds that
do the eating...you need to hope the adults lay eggs on the infested
plants...wont work in a house though...

finally you presumably brought these pests in on a new plant...check
check check new plants for pests and diseases ..especially the
underside of new growth ...before placing them among your treasures.

Biological control of mealy bug is tricky as the Australian ladybirds they
use seem to have return tickets on Quantos and fly off as soon as released,
I did have some success when I enclosed the affected plants in net curtains.
regular soft soap sprays and watering in of a systemic like provado also
help but the only way to eradicate the problem is to be vigilant and remove
them manually (I use an old toothbrush) this is the time of year to
carefully inspect the plants and their surrounds for the white fluffy egg
masses these and hibernating adults will be found in all sorts of cracks and
crevices, especially where stems touch or leaves touch stems. severely
reducing the plant size rather than destroying it is a compromise that cuts
down the work involved.

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 13-12-2004, 09:26 AM
Martin Brown

Eric G wrote:

I have a mealybug problem with my houseplants and wonder if someone
can offer some suggestions on how to get rid of the pests?

These are the white mealybugs.
I had to throw out 5 or 6 large Diefenbachia plants because they were
so infested that it was hopeless.

I have a few other plants infected with the mealybug but it isn't out
of control yet and don't want to lose the plants.

You are pretty much going to have to go in hard with systemic chemicals
if you want them all gone. And move all the infested plants well away
from the clean ones. You could start with a knock down contact
insecticide to kill the obvious ones and then use an aggresive systemic.
One of the Phostrogen plant pin type was found to work well for cacti
and most succulents YMMV.

Using hydrogen peroxide with cotton swabs just isn't practical. It
takes forever just to do one plant.

Meths and a stiff brush is faster.

I bought an insecticidal soap and have been using the spray once a
week on the plants, but the mealybugs still keep coming back.

Not a chance. You just get cleaner mealy bugs.

I read about using biological control (beneficial insects) and would
like to explore this avenue if possible. Is it practical for indoor
plants? How do you go about the process?

Throw the plants out if you are not prepared for chemical warfare.

And don't use anything too nasty on indoor houseplants. A few unlucky
cactus enthusiasts have been seriously injured using dangerous
commercial greenhouse insecticides in the home.

Regards,
Martin Brown
Old 13-12-2004, 10:41 AM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Martin Brown writes:

| I bought an insecticidal soap and have been using the spray once a
| week on the plants, but the mealybugs still keep coming back.
|
| Not a chance. You just get cleaner mealy bugs.

Not at all - it works like a dream, on any that you can see.

The mistake is to use it as a contact insecticide - you need to
blast the wool off them using a hand spray as a miniature power
washer. They then dry up and die. If you just wet them, then
the effect is as you describe.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 14-12-2004, 03:56 AM
Eric G

On Mon, 13 Dec 2004 09:26:14 +0000, Martin Brown
wrote:

You are pretty much going to have to go in hard with systemic chemicals
if you want them all gone. And move all the infested plants well away
from the clean ones.

I've been thinking about this. Three of the six Diefenbachia that
were badly infested were in the same room but in different corners,
about 8-10 feet away from each other. In between them were smaller
plants that were also infected but not as badly.

Now the other three Diefenbachia were in a foyer area around the
corner a good 20 feet or more away. They too were badly infested. In
the same foyer is a Benjamin fiscus that is being threatened as well.

So my question is how do these pests get around? They don't fly
correct? They wouldn't be climbing around the place would they? The
only thing I can think of, which is scary, is that they are being
blown about by the forced air heating system and are possibly flowing
through the entire house. What's most likely?

Using hydrogen peroxide with cotton swabs just isn't practical. It
takes forever just to do one plant.

Meths and a stiff brush is faster.

What are Meths and where do you buy them?
How do you go about removing them, one at a time, and wipe them on a
paper towel as you go?

Thanks! Eric

Old 14-12-2004, 06:13 AM
JennyC

"Eric G" wrote in message
I have a mealybug problem with my houseplants and wonder if someone
can offer some suggestions on how to get rid of the pests?
snip
Where do you find ladybugs in the freezing snow and cold now here in
Canada? How do you release ladybugs so they stay on the plant in
question and not fly away somewhere else?
Thanks in advance! Eric

I find methelated spirits works really well. The usual way is to apply it to the
infected areas with a paintbrush, but I have found what misting the whole plant
works a lot better. It gets into all the nooks and crannies.......I use a hand
pump-up spray.

Take the plant outside or somewhere that you can ventilate well 'cos it stinks
to high heaven !

You might need to do this once or twice to get them all.

Jenny

Old 14-12-2004, 08:46 AM
Martin Brown

wrote:

You are pretty much going to have to go in hard with systemic chemicals
if you want them all gone. And move all the infested plants well away

from the clean ones.

I've been thinking about this. Three of the six Diefenbachia that
were badly infested were in the same room but in different corners,
about 8-10 feet away from each other. In between them were smaller
plants that were also infected but not as badly.

I am not sure, but I think they can walk quite long distances. You may
also have root mealy bug which is much harder to kill and even harder to
detect until you repot the plant.

Using hydrogen peroxide with cotton swabs just isn't practical. It
takes forever just to do one plant.

Meths and a stiff brush is faster.

What are Meths and where do you buy them?
How do you go about removing them, one at a time, and wipe them on a
paper towel as you go?

Methylated alcohol (impure ethanol) used for spirit burners. It
dehyrates them on contact they are quite dead and mostly stick to the
brush. The small phial I use accumulates dead mealy bug bodies.

Regards,
Martin Brown
Old 14-12-2004, 12:43 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Eric G writes:

| Sorry for my ignorance but if you first blast them with a power
| washer won't they just be pushed off the plant altogether?
| Why would you then need the soap? Eric

(a) only a few get blasted off the plant altogether and (b) you
want to ensure that they don't just climb back on. The objective
is to blast their waxy 'fur' off so they dessicate, and soft soap
solution (or detergent solution with a squirt of meths) works a
lot better than plain water.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 15-12-2004, 03:46 AM
Eric G

On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 08:46:48 +0000, Martin Brown

I am not sure, but I think they can walk quite long distances. You may
also have root mealy bug which is much harder to kill and even harder to
detect until you repot the plant.

Methylated alcohol (impure ethanol) used for spirit burners. It
dehyrates them on contact they are quite dead and mostly stick to the
brush. The small phial I use accumulates dead mealy bug bodies.

Regards,
Martin Brown

Thanks Martin. I appreciate your help.

Eric

Mealybugs on Paphs - HELP!!! Noochka One Orchids 16 22-10-2004 04:14 PM
Mealybugs on Paphs - HELP!!! Noochka One Orchids 0 21-10-2004 04:14 AM
Mealybugs on Paphs - HELP!!! Noochka One Orchids 0 21-10-2004 04:14 AM
Mealybugs, HELP IiSpankyii Orchids 17 11-01-2004 12:32 AM
Scale/Mealybugs and Orchids Brian Vogel Orchids 1 17-11-2003 04:22 PM