Old 27-12-2004, 06:11 PM
Rod

On Thu, 23 Dec 2004 16:47:05 -0000, "Trevor Appleton"
wrote:

My daffs are 4 inches high but not showing colour yet (Rijnveld's Early
Sensation, one of the earliest\). I spotted a Winter Aconite about to open
in the garden today and Celandine virtually open. Snowdrops are showing
white buds

Trevor
East Yorkshire

Mainly just the usual suspects though snowdrops are looking like about
a couple of weeks early but the thing that's exciting me most atm is
our young Daphne bholua is going to flower for the first time, so far
it seems to be a fairly undemanding plant so I'm hoping it's going to
be scenting the whole of the Camellia Walk in the winters when it's a
bit bigger.

Rod

Weed my email address to reply.
Old 28-12-2004, 09:14 AM
McCready

"Trevor Appleton" wrote in message
My daffs are 4 inches high but not showing colour yet (Rijnveld's Early
Sensation, one of the earliest\). I spotted a Winter Aconite about to open
in the garden today and Celandine virtually open. Snowdrops are showing
white buds

Trevor
East Yorkshire osteospermums

I live in Bristol and I have Gazanias and Osteospermums in flower.

Old 28-12-2004, 12:40 PM
Stephen Williams

Snip

I live in Bristol and I have Gazanias and Osteospermums in flower.

Just had a check around the garden: Roses Dawn & Eye Paint are still in
reasonable flower, Coreopsis Sunray, various Cyclamen, Viburnam, usual
pansies and primulars and the odd Wallflower.
Daffs are poking their heads out of the ground, but no sign of any snowdrops
yet.

I live in Bewdley Worcs

Steve

Old 28-12-2004, 03:09 PM
Dave

Stephen Williams writes
Just had a check around the garden: Roses Dawn & Eye Paint are still in
reasonable flower, Coreopsis Sunray, various Cyclamen, Viburnam, usual
pansies and primulars and the odd Wallflower.
Daffs are poking their heads out of the ground, but no sign of any snowdrops
yet.

I live in Bewdley Worcs

Just did the same thing, but as I live on the first of the chilterns
west of Siberia I wasn't expecting too much :-)

The Mahonia Winter Sun has a few yellowish buds, but no flower. The
heathers are showing pink and white flowers. Only about six of my
several hundred daffodils are showing above the ground at all, and
they're only about an inch or so. I don't expect to see them until well
into February! Its all a bit windswept up here and I had 3" of snow in
November that lasted three days, and it looks like another dusting over
Xmas but I was away.

But lest that sounds a bit miserable, I do have a number of evergreens
of various shades and styles, so the garden is not bare. I have some
really white bark on the 'silver birch' trees (jaquemontii IIRC), golden
coppery bark on various other birch, yellow and green leaves on the
laurel, spotted leaves on the aucuba, light green on the bamboo, dark
green on the italian pendulous birch (name escapes me atm) clouded dark
green on the eucalyptus, various greens on the heathers, green bergenia
leaves, several shades of lonicera hedge (silver, variegated gold, plain
dark green), dull green on the hebe red edge, purple on the hebe
caledonia, dark green on the hypericum, variegated euonymous, a dark
spike of juniperus sky rocket, another juniper sprawled out, dark green
leaves of escallonia ivyii (??), dark green of a low ceanothus, plum and
amber of the mahonia winter sun, several hollies including a tree, and
some other evergreen trees such as small scotch pines and deodara (??).

Apart from some of the trees I really only started most of the garden
about 5 years ago and I've been concentrating on structural work like
the pond and the rock garden and flattening the lawn, so I suppose I
shouldn't be disheartened. I counted up some 56 trees I've planted in
the last 9 or 10 years, and some of those are now quite large, the alder
trees being the biggest and fastest growing.

--
David

Old 28-12-2004, 04:20 PM
Kay

In article , Stephen Williams
writes

Just had a check around the garden: Roses Dawn & Eye Paint are still in
reasonable flower, Coreopsis Sunray, various Cyclamen, Viburnam, usual
pansies and primulars and the odd Wallflower.
Daffs are poking their heads out of the ground, but no sign of any snowdrops
yet.

I live in Bewdley Worcs

W Yorks: usual winter things, no late hangers on from autumn...

.... but one Geum rivale. That's got things severely mixed up ;-)

--
Kay

Old 28-12-2004, 07:28 PM
Bevan Price

"Trevor Appleton" wrote in message
My daffs are 4 inches high but not showing colour yet (Rijnveld's Early
Sensation, one of the earliest\). I spotted a Winter Aconite about to open
in the garden today and Celandine virtually open. Snowdrops are showing
white buds

Trevor
East Yorkshire

No spring bulbs yet, but a few roses, primulas, a swinter jasmine, 2 rather
sorry-looking rudbeckia, a single calendula, 2 echinops ritro (globe thistle)
just producing their third crop of flowers this year, and 3 fox-tail lilies have
just produced a second crop of flowers.

Bevan
St. Helens, Lancashire.

Old 28-12-2004, 07:57 PM
Stewart Robert Hinsley

In article , Trevor
Appleton writes
My daffs are 4 inches high but not showing colour yet (Rijnveld's Early
Sensation, one of the earliest\). I spotted a Winter Aconite about to open
in the garden today and Celandine virtually open. Snowdrops are showing
white buds

I saw a Celandine flower up the road today, and Gorse up in Scotland on
Christmas Day. I had an Abutilon flowering outside on the 23rd (I've
brought it indoors since.) But there's not all that much in flower this
year.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 28-12-2004, 11:28 PM
Janet Galpin

The message
from "Charlie Pridham" contains these words:

"Trevor Appleton" wrote in message
My daffs are 4 inches high but not showing colour yet (Rijnveld's Early
Sensation, one of the earliest\). I spotted a Winter Aconite about to open
in the garden today and Celandine virtually open. Snowdrops are showing
white buds

Trevor
East Yorkshire

Just cut arm fulls of Lonicera x purpusii for the scent, Camellia St ewe
should be out by Christmas day, both of which are normal. Daffs and snow
drops no where near up here, not even leaves but several Hellebores out.

Yes, I have Hellebores out but no signs of daffs or snowdrops. I would
really like to understand how a garden can be earlier than others for
some things and well later for others. (South Lincolnshire - nowhere
near Cornwall)
Lonicera x purpusii doing very well - and Clematis cirrhosa 'Freckles'

Janet G
Old 29-12-2004, 10:40 AM
Charlie Pridham

In article , Trevor
Appleton writes
My daffs are 4 inches high but not showing colour yet (Rijnveld's Early
Sensation, one of the earliest\). I spotted a Winter Aconite about to

open
in the garden today and Celandine virtually open. Snowdrops are showing
white buds

I saw a Celandine flower up the road today, and Gorse up in Scotland on
Christmas Day. I had an Abutilon flowering outside on the 23rd (I've
brought it indoors since.) But there's not all that much in flower this
year.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

May not have snowdrops or daffs up but the Abutilons are wonderful! we have
a few around the garden and they are never out of flower, several are
looking as good as mid summer especially milleri and megapotamicum. Acacia
retonoides has just stopped flowering it did not like the frost and snow
over much! but then it started in June so I shouldn't complain! and anyway
Acacia baileyana has now started and is flowering in the same bed as
Coronilla and the ever reliable Euryops.

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 29-12-2004, 02:05 PM
Bob Hobden

"Trevor Appleton" wrote
My daffs are 4 inches high but not showing colour yet (Rijnveld's Early
Sensation, one of the earliest\). I spotted a Winter Aconite about to open
in the garden today and Celandine virtually open. Snowdrops are showing
white buds

Every year at this time a big bed of large Kniphofia on the roadside about
100 yards from the S. side of Staines Bridge towards Chertsey is in full
flower, and in the sunshine of Boxing day they looked magnificent.
Unfortunately, since then, some kind spirited person has been along and cut
every head off, all 100 or so of them. Sad world sometimes.
Anyone know which traditional looking Kniphofia flowers now?

--
Regards
Bob

Old 29-12-2004, 06:57 PM
McCready

"McCready" wrote in message
. uk...

"Trevor Appleton" wrote in message
My daffs are 4 inches high but not showing colour yet (Rijnveld's Early
Sensation, one of the earliest\). I spotted a Winter Aconite about to
open
in the garden today and Celandine virtually open. Snowdrops are showing
white buds

Trevor
East Yorkshire osteospermums

I live in Bristol and I have Gazanias and Osteospermums in flower.

And climbing roses on my Pergola. Also my Yucca trees have flower spike
opening.
Some of my hanging baskets have trailing geraniums in bloom.

The Weather has gone mad.

Old 01-01-2005, 11:34 AM
Pam Moore

On Tue, 28 Dec 2004 09:14:06 GMT, "McCready"
wrote:

Snowdrops are showing white buds

Those of you who have snowdrops out, what variety are they?
Mine are not showing as far as I can tell, but a 3-minute walk away
there is a front garden with snowdrops in full bloom. They appear to
have wider leaves than mine do. I guess they are an earlier variety.
Nice item on snowdrops in the latest GW magazine.

Pam in Bristol
Old 01-01-2005, 06:44 PM
Brian Watson

wrote in message
On Fri, 24 Dec 2004 13:26:51 +0100, "JennyC" wrote:

The last solitary yellow rose is about the open its petals !
Jenny (Rotterdam the Netherlands)

In our garden too :-)

My Portmeirion rose is still showing five flowers and about six good sized
buds (front garden, facing south, situated north of Cambridge)
--
Brian
Currently singing: "Ship Of Fools" from the new Spirit album