Old 09-01-2005, 03:12 PM
Pam Moore

Default No FAQ

I never get the FAQ. I queried this before. I've always used Agent,
and it just puts headings for very long postings for which I have to
press enter to read it.
Can anyone please suggest why I am not getting the FAQ posts?

Pam in Bristol
Old 09-01-2005, 03:43 PM
Gary Woods

Pam Moore wrote:

I never get the FAQ. I queried this before.

Perhaps because nobody has posted it lately... but a google on
uk.rec.gardening faq
Yielded
http://www.tmac.clara.co.uk/urgring/urgfaqs.htm

Which probably has more than you ever needed to know...

And although there's 6 inches (18cm) of snow on the ground here in the
northeastern American colonies, spring is creeping up on me. Specifically,
it's very nearly time to start leek seeds, and I have a lot of stored seeds
that need germination testing. My upper oven (electric, double-oven stove)
maintains 80F with the interior light bulb left on, which is just right for
most.

Old 09-01-2005, 10:14 PM
Pam Moore

On Sun, 09 Jan 2005 15:12:38 GMT, Pam Moore
wrote:

I never get the FAQ. I queried this before. I've always used Agent,
and it just puts headings for very long postings for which I have to
press enter to read it.

Thanks Gary, Janet, Martin. I got confused!

Pam in Bristol
Old 09-01-2005, 10:46 PM
Franz Heymann

"Pam Moore" wrote in message
I never get the FAQ. I queried this before. I've always used Agent,
and it just puts headings for very long postings for which I have to
press enter to read it.
Can anyone please suggest why I am not getting the FAQ posts?

I don't think there is a FAQ which is posted regularly. As a matter
of fact I don't knowof a FAQ site for gardening

Franz

Old 10-01-2005, 08:58 AM
Pam Moore

On Sun, 09 Jan 2005 23:47:36 +0100, wrote:

That;s o.k. have you found the abc posted each week.

That's what I meant to ask about! oops. No, I have not received it for
over a year.

Pam in Bristol

Old 10-01-2005, 09:55 AM
jane

wrote:

~I never get the FAQ. I queried this before. I've always used Agent,
~and it just puts headings for very long postings for which I have to
~press enter to read it.
~Can anyone please suggest why I am not getting the FAQ posts?
~
~Pam in Bristol

dunno. Have you checked your filters to see if you once upon a time
accidentally killfiled it?

I tend not to notice it since I use the no entry sign icon on these
posts so they don't come up as new.

jane (agent (ancient 1.01) user)

--
jane

Mark Twain

Old 10-01-2005, 05:09 PM
Peter Stockdale

"Glen Able" wrote in message

What I've found is that, although the 'abc for newcomers...' article is
posted every week, Outlook Express has decided that all the posts belong
a single thread. So I never actually get to see the article in question,
unless I scroll down to the very oldest posts. And there I find, dated
18/09/04, the thread in question, with 20 or so copies of the article all
collapsed into one thread - including the most recent one from 2 days ago!

Lucky you - my O.E. only scrolls back 6 weeks !
Could whoever posts the ABC not pre-date the heading with the current date
so that O.E. would perhaps recognise it as a new post ??

Pete
www.thecanalshop.com

Old 10-01-2005, 05:44 PM
Kay

In article , Peter Stockdale
writes

"Glen Able" wrote in message

What I've found is that, although the 'abc for newcomers...' article is
posted every week, Outlook Express has decided that all the posts belong
a single thread. So I never actually get to see the article in question,
unless I scroll down to the very oldest posts. And there I find, dated
18/09/04, the thread in question, with 20 or so copies of the article all
collapsed into one thread - including the most recent one from 2 days ago!

Lucky you - my O.E. only scrolls back 6 weeks !
Could whoever posts the ABC not pre-date the heading with the current date
so that O.E. would perhaps recognise it as a new post ??

I think it's posted automatically, so it depends whether the person
responsible has the facilities to automatically add the date.

And it would have to be post- not -pre as we deliberately called it
'abc' for those folks who sort posts into alphabetical order, so they
could find it easily.
--
Kay

Old 10-01-2005, 08:14 PM
Peter Stockdale

wrote in message

Why don't you switch to Mozilla Thunderbird or learn how to use OE?
--
Martin

Thanks Martin for your comment - fairly typical for you !
No to Mosy ta - quite happy with O.E.
Perhaps a solution as to how to adjust things to extend message longevity
on O.E. would have been helpful.

--
Pete

Old 10-01-2005, 11:22 PM
Peter Stockdale

wrote in message

You or somebody using your PC must have set something to throw your
messages away after N days.
--
Martin

Probably - but what setting can I look at to consider making it N + more
days?

--
Pete

Old 11-01-2005, 10:16 AM
Glen Able

wrote in message

You or somebody using your PC must have set something to throw your
messages away after N days.
--
Martin

Probably - but what setting can I look at to consider making it N + more
days?

Try looking in Tools - Options - Maintenance ...

Old 11-01-2005, 10:28 AM
Glen Able

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message
from "Peter Stockdale" contains these

words:

"Glen Able" wrote in message

What I've found is that, although the 'abc for newcomers...' article

is
posted every week, Outlook Express has decided that all the posts

belong
a single thread. So I never actually get to see the article in

question,
unless I scroll down to the very oldest posts. And there I find,

dated
18/09/04, the thread in question, with 20 or so copies of the article

all
collapsed into one thread - including the most recent one from 2 days

ago!

Lucky you - my O.E. only scrolls back 6 weeks !
Could whoever posts the ABC not pre-date the heading with the current

date
so that O.E. would perhaps recognise it as a new post ??

The whole point of the abc, is that it's to attract the attention of
newcomers. Even if they are using OE it won't be hidden from them.

I would expect that people who come to the group for the first time using OE
(+ maybe other newsreaders) will see the most recent messages, sorted by
date. And that the 'abc for newcomers...' will be a practically invisible
thread hidden amongst several-week-old messages and orphaned replies to spam
that they're unlikely to peruse. This was the case for me, anyway.

Old 11-01-2005, 12:25 PM
Kay

In article , Glen Able
writes

I would expect that people who come to the group for the first time using OE
(+ maybe other newsreaders) will see the most recent messages, sorted by
date. And that the 'abc for newcomers...' will be a practically invisible
thread hidden amongst several-week-old messages and orphaned replies to spam
that they're unlikely to peruse. This was the case for me, anyway.

So - what would have attracted you to read it?
--
Kay

FAQ List - FAQ List - FAQ List cormaic United Kingdom 2 06-11-2003 05:37 PM
has the rec.ponds FAQ gone AWOL? Snooze Ponds 2 30-01-2003 12:44 PM
has the FAQ gone AWOL? Snooze Ponds 1 30-01-2003 12:41 PM
has the rec.ponds FAQ gone AWOL? Snooze Ponds 0 30-01-2003 06:26 AM
has the rec.ponds FAQ gone AWOL? Snooze Ponds 0 30-01-2003 05:56 AM