Old 24-11-2002, 11:05 PM
Alan Holmes

Default Slugs and potatoes?

The potatoes I dug up this year were badly damaged by slugs,
how can I reduce, or stop that damage in the future?

Alan

Old 25-11-2002, 08:52 PM
Larry Stoter

Alan Holmes wrote:

The potatoes I dug up this year were badly damaged by slugs,
how can I reduce, or stop that damage in the future?

Alan

Seems very dependent on variety. And I'd guess different varieties
respond differently in different areas.

Last year, having acquired a much larger garden, we bought a potato
"variety pack" - about 10 different varities. Fascinating to compare how
they developed, resistance to pests, disease, drought, etc, taste and
productivity. A couple of varieties were badly damaged by slugs whereas
others were completely unscathed.

Taste also varied enormously - some simply wonderful and others almost
tasteless.

Unfortunately, names were written on tags with non-indelible marker -
so, we must repeat experiment again this year!
--
Larry Stoter
Old 25-11-2002, 10:22 PM
Rod

"Larry Stoter" wrote in message
.uk...
Last year, having acquired a much larger garden, we bought a potato
"variety pack" - about 10 different varities. Fascinating to compare how
they developed, resistance to pests, disease, drought, etc, taste and
productivity. A couple of varieties were badly damaged by slugs whereas
others were completely unscathed.

Taste also varied enormously - some simply wonderful and others almost
tasteless.

Unfortunately, names were written on tags with non-indelible marker -
so, we must repeat experiment again this year!
--

Yes I've frequently come unstuck with labelling such trials. Another piece
of bad news is that various qualities of spuds are not consistent from year

Rod

Old 26-11-2002, 08:20 PM
DaveDay34

The potatoes I dug up this year were badly damaged by slugs,
how can I reduce, or stop that damage in the future?

Alan

Grow the potatoes in barrels, or some similar container(s) and protect the
container(s) from the slug attacks. If you need further info just ask, but
this method has the advantages of being easy to earth up, having larger
pest/disease-free crops and easier, more efficient harvesting. If you need
reasons why I'd be happy to explain, but trust me and it will give you better
results.

Dave.
Old 27-11-2002, 06:17 PM
Rod

"Paul Mc Cann" wrote in message
But what to do if you get wire worm ? We usually plant out at least a
stone of seed potatoes and I can't envisage that fitting in barrels
;-)

Wireworm is not usually a permanent problem. Attack can be quite severe in a
new plot of freshly broken grassland but not in a plot which has been
cultivated for some years.

Rod

Old 27-11-2002, 07:01 PM
Paul Mc Cann

On Wed, 27 Nov 2002 18:17:23 -0000, "Rod"
wrote:

"Paul Mc Cann" wrote in message
.. .
But what to do if you get wire worm ? We usually plant out at least a
stone of seed potatoes and I can't envisage that fitting in barrels
;-)

Wireworm is not usually a permanent problem. Attack can be quite severe in a
new plot of freshly broken grassland but not in a plot which has been
cultivated for some years.

Rod

I'm afraid we are the opposite of that. We have been growing
vegetables on this plot for nigh on 10 years. Strange to relate but
last year it was left fallow as we had a lot of work to do on the
decorative side of the garden.

My understanding is that it is not a simple thing to cure, if it can
be cured at all that is.

Paul Mc Cann
Old 27-11-2002, 11:41 PM
Peter

Wireworm is not usually a permanent problem. Attack can be quite severe
in a
new plot of freshly broken grassland but not in a plot which has been
cultivated for some years.

Rod

I'm afraid we are the opposite of that. We have been growing
vegetables on this plot for nigh on 10 years. Strange to relate but
last year it was left fallow as we had a lot of work to do on the
decorative side of the garden.

My understanding is that it is not a simple thing to cure, if it can
be cured at all that is.

Paul Mc Cann

When I was a kid we had a lot of wireworm, my Mom grew mustard and then dug
it into the soil. That was the end of the wireworm! She read it somewhere
and it worked, you might want to try it.

Peter

---