Old 22-01-2005, 12:06 PM
Pete

Default deterent for moles - advice please

Hi

I've recently moved to a more rural location which is very pleasant,
but I do have a problem with moles digging holes all over the garden.

I'm aware that there are sonic mole deterrents, but have no idea if
they work - has anyone any experience of these, or any other (humane)
suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Pete
Old 22-01-2005, 12:22 PM
Kate Morgan

I've recently moved to a more rural location which is very pleasant,
but I do have a problem with moles digging holes all over the garden.

I'm aware that there are sonic mole deterrents, but have no idea if
they work - has anyone any experience of these, or any other (humane)
suggestions would be much appreciated.

I cut the bottom off a plastic pop/squash bottle and take the cap off,
then expose the run and stuff the neck of the bottle down the
hole/tunnel. I don`t know if it is the light getting or the noise of the
wind but it works for me. If you have lots and lots then I am afraid you
might need to call in the mole man, most villages have a man that can.

good luck
Old 22-01-2005, 12:36 PM
Emrys Davies

'Pete',

I am not being lazy, but there is so much interesting information about
your topic already online that I thought it best to post you the
relevant URL rather than select the sites which I consider to be in your
best interests. Hope it helps.

http://groups.google.co.uk/groups?q=...=Google+Search

Regards,
Emrys Davies.

Old 22-01-2005, 01:17 PM
Kay

In article , Pete
writes
Hi

I've recently moved to a more rural location which is very pleasant,
but I do have a problem with moles digging holes all over the garden.

I'm aware that there are sonic mole deterrents, but have no idea if
they work - has anyone any experience of these, or any other (humane)
suggestions would be much appreciated.

Jane??
Where are you?
;-)
--
Kay

Old 22-01-2005, 01:44 PM
Rhiannon Macfie Miller

Pete wrote:

Hi

I've recently moved to a more rural location which is very pleasant,
but I do have a problem with moles digging holes all over the garden.

I'm aware that there are sonic mole deterrents, but have no idea if
they work - has anyone any experience of these, or any other (humane)
suggestions would be much appreciated.

My parents have used these. They work very well until the
batteries run out or the owner forgets about it and runs the
lawnmower over it. The low-pitched noise *is* audible in a
quiet rural area, and is slightly disturbing.

Rhiannon

--

http://sciethics.blogspot.com/ -- the rights and wrongs of
science.

Old 22-01-2005, 02:41 PM
Bob Hobden

"Pete" wrote
I've recently moved to a more rural location which is very pleasant,
but I do have a problem with moles digging holes all over the garden.

I'm aware that there are sonic mole deterrents, but have no idea if
they work - has anyone any experience of these, or any other (humane)
suggestions would be much appreciated.

Before MAFF or whoever demanded a fortune for thorough testing on anything
it might come in contact with you used to be able to buy a produce mainly
consisting of Caster Oil which, it was said, Moles didn't like the smell of.
Came from the US I believe. You just found a mole hill dug down to the run
and poured some in and the moles moved on.

--
Regards
Bob

Old 22-01-2005, 03:00 PM
Kate Morgan

Before MAFF or whoever demanded a fortune for thorough testing on anything
it might come in contact with you used to be able to buy a produce mainly
consisting of Caster Oil which, it was said, Moles didn't like the smell of.
Came from the US I believe. You just found a mole hill dug down to the run
and poured some in and the moles moved on.

Jeyes Fluid is good and smelly, that might work.
Old 22-01-2005, 03:42 PM
JennyC

"Pete" wrote in message
Hi

I've recently moved to a more rural location which is very pleasant,
but I do have a problem with moles digging holes all over the garden.

I'm aware that there are sonic mole deterrents, but have no idea if
they work - has anyone any experience of these, or any other (humane)
suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Pete

I seem to recall hearing about the use of children's windmills stuck into where
you see burrows. They don't like the noise..........went of searching for info
about this and found:
http://www.hdra.org.uk/factsheets/pc5.htm

HTH

Don't have a problem with them myself - concrete garden :~)
Jenny

Old 22-01-2005, 07:08 PM
ned

wrote in message
On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 16:42:22 +0100, "JennyC"

wrote:

"Pete" wrote in message
.. .
Hi

I've recently moved to a more rural location which is very

pleasant,
but I do have a problem with moles digging holes all over the

garden.

I'm aware that there are sonic mole deterrents, but have no idea

if
they work - has anyone any experience of these, or any other

(humane)
suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Pete

I seem to recall hearing about the use of children's windmills

stuck into where
you see burrows. They don't like the noise..........went of

searching for info
about this and found:
http://www.hdra.org.uk/factsheets/pc5.htm

It says children's windmills stuck into where you see burrows

doesn't
work.

"Noise/Vibrations: Moles are said to dislike certain sounds and
frequencies of vibration. Devices such as children's windmills stuck
in the runs or wine bottles buried so the wind blows across the top
have been tried with little success. There is also an expensive
gadget, an electronic probe which is stuck into the ground, which

had
no effect on the moles at Ryton Gardens."

........ nor in ned's garden! :-((

--
ned

http://www.bugsandweeds.co.uk
last update 30.12.2004

Old 22-01-2005, 11:11 PM
Keith

Sonic deterents are a waste of time, I blew £25 on one last year

C4 will do the job, and gets rid of all the weeds as well

Old 23-01-2005, 03:46 PM
ex WGS Hamm

"Pete" wrote in message
Hi

I've recently moved to a more rural location which is very pleasant,
but I do have a problem with moles digging holes all over the garden.

I'm aware that there are sonic mole deterrents, but have no idea if
they work - has anyone any experience of these, or any other (humane)
suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Pete

My mum got rid of them by panting childrens windmills all over the lawn.
Apparently they don't like the vibrations. I have heard that if you drop
mothballs into the tunnels that makes them go too. I think I must be the
only gardener on the planet who likes moles and doesn't have a problem with
molehills.

Old 23-01-2005, 03:58 PM
Kay

In article , ex WGS Hamm
writes

"Pete" wrote in message
.. .
Hi

I've recently moved to a more rural location which is very pleasant,
but I do have a problem with moles digging holes all over the garden.

I'm aware that there are sonic mole deterrents, but have no idea if
they work - has anyone any experience of these, or any other (humane)
suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Pete

My mum got rid of them by panting childrens windmills all over the lawn.
Apparently they don't like the vibrations. I have heard that if you drop
mothballs into the tunnels that makes them go too. I think I must be the
only gardener on the planet who likes moles and doesn't have a problem with
molehills.

I don't have a problem with molehills, but that's because I don't have
moles.

--
Kay

Old 24-01-2005, 09:18 AM
Tim Challenger

On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 17:11:20 +0100, wrote:

On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 16:42:22 +0100, "JennyC" wrote:

"Pete" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

our neighbour had a terrible mole problem last 2 years and got one of those
electronic spikes. Within a week no new mounds had appeared and it seemed
to have moved on. This year with the encroaching mole-hills from the fields
he put it on earlier and the moles haven't gone into his garden. Now this
could all be just co-incidence, of course.

--
Tim C.
Old 25-01-2005, 11:55 PM
ex WGS Hamm

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message
from Kay contains these words:

In article , ex WGS Hamm
writes

I think I must be the
only gardener on the planet who likes moles and doesn't have a problem

with
molehills.

I don't have a problem with molehills, but that's because I don't have
moles.

Me neither. I love moles. And raccoons.

Janet

I think I'll open a mole santuary. Send me your unwanted moles.