Old 28-01-2005, 06:27 PM
Paul

Default Windmill.....Help!!!

Does anyone remember from there chidhood that gardem ornament that I can
only describe as a windmill of sorts.

When the wind blew the sails a man attached to the windmill turned, winding
a handle.....If anyone can remember them does anyone noif they are still
available from anywhere. I have scoured the net and many garden centres.

Heres waiting in hope for a positive reply

Old 28-01-2005, 08:04 PM
Sla#s

"Paul" wrote in message
. ..
Does anyone remember from there chidhood that gardem ornament that I can
only describe as a windmill of sorts.

When the wind blew the sails a man attached to the windmill turned,

winding
a handle.....If anyone can remember them does anyone noif they are still
available from anywhere. I have scoured the net and many garden centres.

Heres waiting in hope for a positive reply

There is an excellent selection of them here - They say they only ship in
the US & Canada but I'm sure if you ask nicely... :-)

http://www.serenitygardens.com/gighist.htm

Slatts

Old 29-01-2005, 12:04 AM
Mike Lyle

Sla#s wrote:
"Paul" wrote in message
. ..
Does anyone remember from there chidhood that gardem ornament that

can only describe as a windmill of sorts.

When the wind blew the sails a man attached to the windmill

turned,
winding a handle.....If anyone can remember them does anyone noif
they are still available from anywhere. I have scoured the net and
many garden centres.

Heres waiting in hope for a positive reply

There is an excellent selection of them here - They say they only
ship in the US & Canada but I'm sure if you ask nicely... :-)

http://www.serenitygardens.com/gighist.htm

And I've seen recipes for making them in Hobbies-type catalogues: try
webbing Hobbies and Hobbys (both exist, as I've had the catalogues
from Smith's now and then).

Mike.

Old 29-01-2005, 11:57 AM
JennyC

"Mike Lyle" wrote in message
Sla#s wrote:
"Paul" wrote in message
. ..
Does anyone remember from there chidhood that gardem ornament that

can only describe as a windmill of sorts.
When the wind blew the sails a man attached to the windmill

turned,
winding a handle.....If anyone can remember them does anyone noif
they are still available from anywhere. I have scoured the net and
many garden centres.
Heres waiting in hope for a positive reply

There is an excellent selection of them here - They say they only
ship in the US & Canada but I'm sure if you ask nicely... :-)
http://www.serenitygardens.com/gighist.htm

And I've seen recipes for making them in Hobbies-type catalogues: try
webbing Hobbies and Hobbys (both exist, as I've had the catalogues
from Smith's now and then).
Mike.

http://www.book-reviews.info/Toy_Mak...86400492.shtml
http://www.scrollsaw.com/carpenter.htm
http://www.hellerwhirligigs.com/

HTH Jenny

Old 29-01-2005, 11:02 PM
Alan Holmes

"Foxfield" wrote in message
Does anyone remember from there chidhood that gardem ornament that I can
only describe as a windmill of sorts.

When the wind blew the sails a man attached to the windmill turned,

winding
a handle.....If anyone can remember them does anyone noif they are still
available from anywhere. I have scoured the net and many garden centres.

Heres waiting in hope for a positive reply

whirligigs??

That's the name of a folk dance!

--
alan

reply to alan(dot)holmes27(at)virgin(dot)net

Old 30-01-2005, 10:53 PM
ex WGS Hamm

"Paul" wrote in message
. ..
Does anyone remember from there chidhood that gardem ornament that I can
only describe as a windmill of sorts.

When the wind blew the sails a man attached to the windmill turned,

winding
a handle.....If anyone can remember them does anyone noif they are still
available from anywhere. I have scoured the net and many garden centres.

Heres waiting in hope for a positive reply

Yes I remember them. You could also get him chopping wood or holding onto a
kicking donkey.
I haven't seen them for years.

Old 31-01-2005, 10:07 AM
BAC

"Paul" wrote in message
. ..
Does anyone remember from there chidhood that gardem ornament that I can
only describe as a windmill of sorts.

When the wind blew the sails a man attached to the windmill turned,

winding
a handle.....If anyone can remember them does anyone noif they are still
available from anywhere. I have scoured the net and many garden centres.

Heres waiting in hope for a positive reply

Have you tried e-bay? It's amazing what turns up there.

Old 31-01-2005, 01:33 PM
shazzbat

"BAC" wrote in message
. ..

"Paul" wrote in message
. ..
Does anyone remember from there chidhood that gardem ornament that I can
only describe as a windmill of sorts.

When the wind blew the sails a man attached to the windmill turned,

winding
a handle.....If anyone can remember them does anyone noif they are still
available from anywhere. I have scoured the net and many garden centres.

I used to go to Bristol a lot until a few years ago, and I used to drive
past a garden which was full of them, men chopping wood, windmills,
zeppelins, all manner of stuff. I used to really enjoy seeing them on a
windy day, it looked like the whole garden was going to take off.

Not much help I know, Im sorry, I was just reminiscing.

Again.

Steve

Old 31-01-2005, 06:13 PM
H&P

Hi there Have you tried to make one yourself ? Your library should have, or
can get, a book called "Blizzard's Toys" or very similar. The key word is
"Blizzard" as he is the author. It gives plans for all sorts of "action"
items and IIRR there is a Whirligig in there.

I used to go to Bristol a lot until a few years ago, and I used to drive
past a garden which was full of them, men chopping wood, windmills,
zeppelins, all manner of stuff. I used to really enjoy seeing them on a
windy day, it looked like the whole garden was going to take off.

Not much help I know, Im sorry, I was just reminiscing.

The used to sell them in Dutch garden centres a decade ago.

The guys who made them are probably churning out Korean cars nowadays.
--
Martin

Supply Sago Palm (Cycas revolute), Finger Palm (Rhapis ,Windmill palm (Trachycarpus garrytsen Marketplace 0 24-08-2005 01:11 AM
Windmill Palm question Paul Gardening 5 17-08-2005 01:08 PM
Chinese Windmill Palm Ernest Wesson Gardening 1 31-05-2004 07:03 PM
Windmill Mole Chaser + joke - no fooling Salty Thumb Gardening 1 02-04-2004 03:34 AM
Unwell Chinese Windmill Palm Colin Spooner United Kingdom 2 04-04-2003 10:32 PM