Old 08-12-2002, 11:48 PM
Sue & Bob Hobden

Default Lemons & Oranges from Pips ?

"Nick wrote in message

I am still a bit vague on the correct feeding regime for citrus plants.

Any
recommendations ?

The usual one is never to feed a plant in its dormant or inactive
seasons. The agrochemical companies sell expensive "winter feed"
but my guess is that it is pretty pointless.

Can't say I've noticed a dormant season with our citrus. The fruit grow all
year round, indeed, take up to a year to come to maturity, and the plants
seem to have there individual ideas about when to flower, strange plants
citrus.
I do use both a summer and winter feed although I have been told by one
professional it's not necessary to change ( their plants leaves were not as
dark green as ours), however I also find the use of a small handful of
chicken pelleted manure chucked on top of the soil a couple of times a year
does wonders.

Pests.. well it has to be scale as No.1. Even with the use of chemicals
these pests seem difficult to eradicate and I've now resorted to using a
high pressure spray of plain water and finger power to dislodge them going
over the plants leaf by leaf once a season. Very slow and a bit messy but it
does work and also gets off any sooty mould.
RSM I have not found a problem with but then our plants are outside from
late May 'till just before first frost, and I do occasionally spray them
with water in the greenhouse to keep the leaves clean.

--
Bob

Runnymede fighting for it's existence.

Old 09-12-2002, 08:00 AM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
"Sue & Bob Hobden" writes:
| "Nick wrote in message
|
| I am still a bit vague on the correct feeding regime for citrus plants.
| Any
| recommendations ?
|
| The usual one is never to feed a plant in its dormant or inactive
| seasons. The agrochemical companies sell expensive "winter feed"
| but my guess is that it is pretty pointless.
|
| Can't say I've noticed a dormant season with our citrus. The fruit grow all
| year round, indeed, take up to a year to come to maturity, and the plants
| seem to have there individual ideas about when to flower, strange plants
| citrus.

They are, indeed. It will obviously depend on the conditions you
keep them in, but mine are essentially dormant. This is partly
because they are pretty cool, but probably more because of the
lack of light. It isn't a true dormancy, which is why I said
"or inactive" - growth is unlikely to be vigorous.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren,
Email:
Tel.: +44 1223 334761 Fax: +44 1223 334679
Old 10-12-2002, 05:01 PM
Ken Riley

On Sun, 8 Dec 2002 17:15:58 -0000, "Sue & Bob Hobden"
wrote:

Joan wrote in message
,
We are currently carrying in and out of the conservatory (out in the
evening into the warm living room, back into the light conservatory
for the day) a 12inch twig.

(snip)

Sounds a bit like bad news Joan, especially considering the time it's taken
to slowly die off.

(snip)
Thanks to everyone for your suggestions. I'll pull it out of the pot
tomorrow and have a look at the roots, inspect it for scale and RSM,
give it a good wash under the tap, repot it into fresh ericaceous
conpost, keep it pretty dry and leave it in one place. That about
sums up all the advice. If it survives all that it'll be one tough
plant!!

Joan in Bramhall (Cheshire)

Lily of the Valley 'Pips' planting advice ZoeM United Kingdom 0 03-04-2005 08:08 PM
Lily of the Valley 'pips'? Frogleg Gardening 4 26-04-2004 08:04 PM
Apple pips and honesty Rhiannon S United Kingdom 11 02-10-2003 09:48 PM
Oranges and Lemons Kirra Roses 0 09-08-2003 02:34 PM
Oranges and Lemons! Trevor Appleton United Kingdom 0 24-02-2003 10:28 PM