Old 11-12-2002, 08:26 PM
HaaRoy

Default knobbling a buddlea tree

I have tried cutting it hard and applying rootout crystals but it
keeps coming back.
what will kill of this damned thing ?
sulphuric acid poured at the base ?
caustic soda ?
agent orange ?

Old 11-12-2002, 08:54 PM
Martin Brown

HaaRoy wrote:

I have tried cutting it hard and applying rootout crystals but it
keeps coming back.

They enjoy being hard pruned. Rootout decomposes into excellent
fertiliser too.

what will kill of this damned thing ?
sulphuric acid poured at the base ?
caustic soda ?
agent orange ?

Glyphosate is probably as good as anything, but digging the roots out
will probably work.
It is more of a vigorous shrub than a tree. I expect a combined method
to work best.
Simple acids or bases may injure you but an established tree will pretty
much laugh it off.

Regards,
Martin Brown

Old 11-12-2002, 11:21 PM
MC Emily

Before you do this, where abouts are you? If you're close enough to me I'd
gladly take it off your hands, providing it will stand being dug up and
moved. I've already planted one of these to attract the butterflies and
it's doing really well but I have plenty of space for another one.

Jaqy

Old 12-12-2002, 06:06 PM
anton

HaaRoy wrote in message ...
I have tried cutting it hard and applying rootout crystals but it
keeps coming back.
what will kill of this damned thing ?
sulphuric acid poured at the base ?
caustic soda ?
agent orange ?

just dig it out- they're not that deeprooted

--
Anton

Old 12-12-2002, 11:21 PM
Stephen Howard

On Thu, 12 Dec 2002 23:53:07 GMT, (Andy Spragg)
wrote:

"MC Emily" pushed briefly to the front of the
queue on Wed, 11 Dec 2002 23:21:47 -0000, and nailed this to the shed
door:

^ Before you do this, where abouts are you? If you're close enough to me I'd
^ gladly take it off your hands, providing it will stand being dug up and
^ moved. I've already planted one of these to attract the butterflies and
^ it's doing really well but I have plenty of space for another one.

We don't have room for another, but I am definitely bemused by the
concept of wanting to /get rid of/ a buddleia ...

I'm not. I'm a big fan of this marvelous plant - the variety Alba in
particular, with its white blooms which act as a superb backdrop for
the glorious colours of the visiting butterflies - but I can well
appreciate how it can be a bit of a pain to find the standard variety
growing slap bang in the middle of a dainty border, given its tendency
to exploit even the barest of resources.

Trouble is, the plant fools you - for the first few years it's
relatively compact, and the butterflies it attracts make it a welcome
addition to the garden... and then it just seems to grow
exponentially.
The big mistake most people make is to cut it back.... this just makes
it angry, and it comes back at you bigger and bolder the next year.

Having said that, I've found the deep purple varieties to be rather
more genteel ( even managed to kill one last year in a botched
transplant operation ).

Regards,

http://www.shwoodwind.co.uk

Old 12-12-2002, 11:53 PM
Andy Spragg

"MC Emily" pushed briefly to the front of the
queue on Wed, 11 Dec 2002 23:21:47 -0000, and nailed this to the shed
door:

^ Before you do this, where abouts are you? If you're close enough to me I'd
^ gladly take it off your hands, providing it will stand being dug up and
^ moved. I've already planted one of these to attract the butterflies and
^ it's doing really well but I have plenty of space for another one.

We don't have room for another, but I am definitely bemused by the
concept of wanting to /get rid of/ a buddleia ...

Andy

--
sparge at globalnet point co point uk

Speculate to accumulate;
catabolize to anabolize;
reculer pour mieux sauter.
Old 13-12-2002, 05:11 PM
HaaRoy

On Wed, 11 Dec 2002 23:21:47 -0000, "MC Emily"
wrote:

Before you do this, where abouts are you? If you're close enough to me I'd
gladly take it off your hands, providing it will stand being dug up and
moved. I've already planted one of these to attract the butterflies and
it's doing really well but I have plenty of space for another one.

Jaqy

its not possible to move it as it has squeezed into a small place
between conservatory and fence.
all i can do is cut it back..

Old 13-12-2002, 05:55 PM
MC Emily

"HaaRoy" wrote

its not possible to move it as it has squeezed into a small place
between conservatory and fence.
all i can do is cut it back..

Oh dear, that's a shame. Good luck with trying to remove it then. )

Jaqy

Old 13-12-2002, 06:45 PM
HaaRoy

On Thu, 12 Dec 2002 18:06:03 +0000 (UTC), "anton"
wrote:

HaaRoy wrote in message ...
I have tried cutting it hard and applying rootout crystals but it
keeps coming back.
what will kill of this damned thing ?
sulphuric acid poured at the base ?
caustic soda ?
agent orange ?

just dig it out- they're not that deeprooted

i cant do that as i would damage the neighbours fence ,not enough room
awkward spot..
Old 13-12-2002, 07:07 PM
Serendipity

wrote:

Before you do this, where abouts are you? If you're close enough to me I'd
gladly take it off your hands, providing it will stand being dug up and
moved. I've already planted one of these to attract the butterflies and
it's doing really well but I have plenty of space for another one.

Jaqy

its not possible to move it as it has squeezed into a small place
between conservatory and fence.
all i can do is cut it back..

.................................................. .......................
I had one between a dry stone wall and the greenhouse - self seeded -
in my back garden. Whilst it was fairly young - up to five years - I
was happy to leave it in position for the natural shade it gave to
the greenhouse, but then it started to take over, and the wood
which I'd cut back each year became rock hard.

One day when it wasn't expecting it, I attacked it with a drill,
ammonia, and putty. I mistakenly thought that I'd done for it
but no, it came back stronger than ever. I couldn't get at it in order
to dig it out, so I continued the attack at differing seasons for
several years before it succumbed.

This year I've bought in a new Davidii, because I missed
the masses of butterflies the old one had attracted.

This morning, clearing behind the greenhouse I noticed
a single green shoot growing from the blackened and
'dead' root clump.

Such pesistance deserves a reward, and in any case
- I keep telling myself - the greenhouse may be in a better position
further down the garden.

Happy Christmas everyone, and a Happy, and florifilous
New Year to boot!

Old 13-12-2002, 08:28 PM
Larry Stoter

HaaRoy wrote:

I have tried cutting it hard and applying rootout crystals but it
keeps coming back.
what will kill of this damned thing ?
sulphuric acid poured at the base ?
caustic soda ?
agent orange ?

Small, nuclear waepons have been especially developed to deal with
problems such as this. Also very useful for Japanes Knot weed.
--
Larry Stoter
Old 13-12-2002, 11:18 PM
Stephen Howard

On Fri, 13 Dec 2002 23:25:48 +0000, Stewart Robert Hinsley
wrote:

In article , HaaRoy
writes
what will kill of this damned thing ?

I've seen them killed by waterlogging, but I don't suppose you can apply
this to order.

That's what saw my one off..... sump bound.
P'raps that's how you kill 'em.... dig them up, pop them back in a
badly drained hole in a moist patch.

Sorted!

http://www.shwoodwind.co.uk

Old 14-12-2002, 12:16 AM
Alan Holmes

"MC Emily" wrote in message
Before you do this, where abouts are you? If you're close enough to me

I'd
gladly take it off your hands, providing it will stand being dug up and
moved. I've already planted one of these to attract the butterflies and
it's doing really well but I have plenty of space for another one.

If you weren't so far away you could have one of mine!

Alan