Old 18-02-2005, 02:47 PM
Phil L

Jim Lesurf wrote:

Your clock is five hours out, you posted this at 14:38 yet it comes up as
being sent at 9:08 this morning.

--

http://www.blueyonder256k.myby.co.uk/

Old 18-02-2005, 03:09 PM
Jim Lesurf

In article , Janet Baraclough
wrote:
The message from Jim Lesurf
contains these words:

My first posting in this group. :-) So what *is* the best way to get
rid of cats

I'm fairly new to gardening. Only taken it up with any real level of
acitivity since I took early retirement last May. Enjoying it so far
despite having little real clue what I'm doing. :-)

Then let's assume that in future, you would like to discuss gardening
with other gardeners in this group. Unfortunately, your first posting is
a response to a troll, not a gardener. A troll is a pest-poster who
attempts to cause trouble and disrupt the group; and they use this
topic very often. To avoid troll timewasters, many posters killfile all
threads with "cats" in the title, so will have missed your introductory
post. I suggest you start a new thread with a cat-free title and
introduce yourself again. We're always glad to have new gardening
posters.

OK. Points noted. My next topic will probably be about some bulbs or some
edging. Hope these will not encounter similar problems. :-)

There's a weekly post called abc.for newcomers to uk.rec.gardening to
welcome you to the group, full of useful tips how to get the best from
it, and a link to the groups FAQ's, one of which answers your question
about cats.

Thanks. I've only been lurking on this group for a few days. Set my
newsagent to go back over the last 50 postings when I started, but haven't
yet seen the 'abc'. I'll look for it and check the FAQ's as soon as I find
their URLs.

Slainte,

Jim

Armstrong Audio http://www.st-and.demon.co.uk/Audio/armstrong.html
Barbirolli Soc. http://www.st-and.demon.co.uk/JBSoc/JBSoc.html
TechWriter http://www.st-and.demon.co.uk/TechWrite/Tips1.html
Compo http://www.st-and.demon.co.uk/Compo/clues.html
Old 18-02-2005, 03:14 PM
Jim Lesurf

In article , Mike wrote:

However two doors down the road we have a 'cat lady'. She has an
ever-changing population of semi-stray cats. Typically around a dozen
to 20. The main victims of this are the neighbours in between her and
us. But we also get frequent 'presents' left in the garden. And as I
guess you would expect, as I dig and clear areas and plant things,
they *love* the nice soft ground...

and the owner doesn't give two hoots.

Afraid so. :-/ The neightbour in between has formally complained to the
local health people more than once as the smell and state of her house and
property are pretty dire and he feels it is a serious health problem, etc.
[snip]

Jim

Welcome to the newsgroup Jim and take no notice of those who appear to
be the 'owners' of uk.rec.gardening. Its just that they have nothing
better to do than take a swipe at postings they do not like.

Well if this is a 'done to death' topic covered in the FAQs, etc, then it
makes sense for me to read them and take that into account. I suspected it
would be a topic on many a gardener's mind... :-)

Old 18-02-2005, 03:48 PM
Jim Lesurf

In article , Phil L
wrote:
Jim Lesurf wrote:

Your clock is five hours out, you posted this at 14:38 yet it comes up
as being sent at 9:08 this morning.

Maybe that's because I wrote it at one time, but actually posted it when I
went online later on. Hence both times in the header may be essentially
correct for what they represent.

What you see will depend to some extent on the software you are using.
Also perhaps on the routing and your ISP.

However if you look at the headers, a line like "Date:" may indicate
when the the item was written.

Whereas one like the "NNTP-Posting Date:" may indicate when the item was
uploaded/transmitted.

If you're using something like 'Hotmail' the difference is minor as the
item may be posted as soon as writing ends. However if, like me, you
read and write mail/news offline and post at the next connection, then
the times may differ by the relevant period. IIRC this is covered in
the relevant rfc's, but it is years since I read them, so this is all
from my memory.

Just checked and the clock on my machine is about 1-2 min fast according to
teletext, etc. Both my news agent and my client use the same clock.

Old 18-02-2005, 04:32 PM
Mike

Jim

You have been 'net nannied', don't be intimidated.

Old 18-02-2005, 04:35 PM
Mike

Jim

Welcome to the newsgroup Jim and take no notice of those who appear to
be the 'owners' of uk.rec.gardening. Its just that they have nothing
better to do than take a swipe at postings they do not like.

Well if this is a 'done to death' topic covered in the FAQs, etc, then it
makes sense for me to read them and take that into account. I suspected it
would be a topic on many a gardener's mind... :-)

Slainte,

Jim

--
Electronics

http://www.st-and.ac.uk/~www_pa/Scot...o/electron.htm
Armstrong Audio http://www.st-and.demon.co.uk/Audio/armstrong.html
Barbirolli Soc. http://www.st-and.demon.co.uk/JBSoc/JBSoc.html
TechWriter http://www.st-and.demon.co.uk/TechWrite/Tips1.html
Compo http://www.st-and.demon.co.uk/Compo/clues.html

Jim, you have been 'net nannied' to the 'n'th degree. The next thing someone
will have a go at, is the number of lines in your signature. :-((

Mike

--
H.M.S.Collingwood Ass. Llandudno 20 - 23 May Trip to Portmeirion
National Service (RAF) Ass. Cosford 24 - 27 June Lanc Bomber Fly Past

Old 18-02-2005, 06:00 PM
Jim Lesurf

In article , Mike
wrote:

Jim

You have been 'net nannied', don't be intimidated.

Don't worry. :-)

Slainte,

Jim

Audio Misc http://www.st-and.demon.co.uk/AudioMisc/index.html
Old 18-02-2005, 06:27 PM
Bevan Price

"Jim Lesurf" wrote in message
My first posting in this group. :-)

In article , suspicious minds
wrote:

"Mike" wrote in message

Gives a pulse of ultrasonic wave at a frequency range of 18k.hertz to
24 k.hertz, the lower part of the spectrum 'just' being audible.

18 - 24 kHz doesn't really strike me as 'ultrasonic' as I'd suspect that
many people can hear a fair part of that range. (Although not me anymore.
My hearing is now cut off by about 14 kHz.)

One neighbour had one; just audible like tinnitus. However never seemed
to bother another neighbours cats near the source. May be just
coincidence but something has struck a cord (sorry), since the noise
has stopped I have noticed a much bigger variety of birds in garden.

So what *is* the best way to get rid of cats?

Heard an interesting item on radio recently. With the replacement of binbags by
wheelie bins, urban foxes are unable to find enough food from domestic rubbish.
Instead, some of the foxes are now catching and eating cats......

Bevan

Old 18-02-2005, 10:06 PM
Franz Heymann

"Jim Lesurf" wrote in message
In article , Janet

Baraclough

[snip]

OK. Points noted. My next topic will probably be about some bulbs or

some
edging. Hope these will not encounter similar problems. :-)

Ever hopeful
{:-))

[snip]

Franz

Old 19-02-2005, 10:36 AM
Mike

You have been 'net nannied', don't be intimidated.

Don't worry. :-)

:-))

Old 21-02-2005, 08:19 AM
Mike

My Sister-in-law has the damn things all over her garden. I can hear
that high. Walking into a squealing garden is not pleasant, I think I would
rather step in all the cat mess the neighbourhood's cats would make in her
garden and then trample it into her carpets.

Warwick

Old 23-02-2005, 07:10 PM
Jane

On 2005-02-16 15:45:59 +0000, "Mike" said:

The owners and regular readers of this newsgroup should by now know my
dislike for the above vermin and will be very interested to know that a Cat
and Dog Repeller we have just put into use, seems to be working very well.

I just got a dog and don't, obviously, want to deter her. Actually, I
think I might train her to go and do her business in next door's garden
to make up for all the times I've put my hand in cat poo during
gardening sessions because of her bloody horrible tail-less murdering
cat. When I removed my sweet pea canes late last summer I found no less
than 10 dead birds including a young robin I'd been encouraging to eat
from my hand. That made me so angry I bought a cat repellent called
'Cat Watch'. It's recommended by the RSPB who use it extensively in
areas where they have ground nesting birds and a ferral cat problem. I
was sceptical at first, but it is brilliant. AND, you can't hear it at
all. It's set at a level that humans can't hear. A ight comes on when
it detects movement (and it's very efficient) so you know it's working.
Anyway, a couple of days after I put it in the garden I was
bird-watching from the bathroom window (my 'loo with a view') when the
hated animal jumped over the wall and took a few steps into my garden
(past the useless lion dung I had put there). Then you could almost see
its hair standing on end and it turned around and beat a pretty hasty
retreat, much to my enjoyment. It has since not come anywhere near my
garden and sits on the neighbours fence instead.

Why is it, by the way, that if my dog fouls someone's garden they will
get very angry with me but I'm supposed to find it acceptable that
someone else's cat or cats can crap all over my garden, kill 'my'
toads, frogs, birds, fieldmice - and those adorable little things with
the long snouts whose name escapes me for a second - and leave the
remains for me to find and I'm supposed to find that acceptable? No-one
should be allowed more than one cat. AND, they should be licensed. And
they say foxes are vermin! I say if the huntsmen have got nothing to
do, let them hunt cats! But if that were the case, of course, hunting
with dogs would have been banned a long time ago...

Sorry not to have introduced myself but actually I've been posting on
and off on this group for a long time. I'm amused to see the same
nannying going on...

Jane.

Old 23-02-2005, 08:36 PM
Tumbleweed

On 2005-02-16 15:45:59 +0000, "Mike" said:

[...]

Got a URL? And do they do an option with a shotgun attachment?

--
Tumbleweed

tumbleweednews at hotmail dot com

Old 23-02-2005, 08:53 PM
Mike

Got a URL? And do they do an option with a shotgun attachment?

I saw the other day that the skins make nice slippers, so don't pepper them
with shot!! Warm and cosy on your feet whilst you have made a nice 'rabbit'
pie to get your 'inside' nice and cosy :-))