Old 17-03-2005, 10:27 AM
Geo Geo is offline
Registered User

Smile Just to say.. Hi

I thought i`d introduce myself and be sociable
I`ve been looking for a gardening forum and finally came across a good one that has a uk bit.
I`m located in lincs and have recently set about building a greenhouse so i`ll have something to potter about in and experiment with now i`m getting older.
The weather has slowed progress down but it`s getting there.
I have lots of ideas that are "out of the ordinary" and hope to use at least some of them to get year round use of the greenhouse to grow organic produce.

Regards to all
Geo
Old 17-03-2005, 04:32 PM
Mike

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message
from Geo contains these words:

I thought i`d introduce myself and be sociable
I`ve been looking for a gardening forum and finally came across a good
one that has a uk bit.
I`m located in lincs and have recently set about building a greenhouse
so i`ll have something to potter about in and experiment with now i`m
getting older.

It's a pity Gordon Brown didn't think of that...a free solar powered
greenhouse for every pensioner would save cold-weather payments, they
could make an income selling fresh produce and save their pensions
towards inheritance tax, and would hardly have time for joyriding up and
down the local high street on their buspasses.

The weather has slowed progress down but it`s getting there.
I have lots of ideas that are "out of the ordinary" and hope to use at
least some of them to get year round use of the greenhouse to grow
organic produce.

You've come to the right place

Just one thing..what you've stumbled on is not a forum. This is a
usenet newsgroup.You're away in a website, looking in on a completely
independent part of the internet called usenet, at a newsgroup called
uk.rec.gardening, (urg) which that crappy website dishonestly pretends
is part of itself. It also doesn't give you proper control over reading
and replying. If you really want to read urg online, you'll find
www.groups/google provides (free) a better service , the best
archive-search facility, and all the newsgroups you ever wanted. But the
slickest and most flexible way to enjoy usenet groups, is with a
newsreader, which is what most of us are using. There are plenty of free
ones...mine comes free from my isp zetnet.

Once you've got a newsreader, you can access a zillion more free
groups like this on every topic under the sun...another thing that
gardenbanter didn't want you to know about.

Janet.

Having been lectured to, by one of the not too cheerful or ever laughing net
nannies and 'owners' of the uk.rec.gardening newsgroup, welcome :-))

Mike
who has a cat crap free garden :-))

Old 17-03-2005, 04:33 PM
bigboard

Mike wrote:

[...]

Although there's quite a lot spilling down his chin.

Old 17-03-2005, 04:39 PM
bigboard

Mike wrote:

Having been lectured to, by one of the not too cheerful or ever
laughing net nannies and 'owners' of the uk.rec.gardening newsgroup,
welcome :-))

Mike
who has a cat crap free garden :-))

Although there's quite a lot spilling down his chin.

Don't give up the day job, you will never make it as a comedian

How do you know? I haven't told any jokes yet.
Old 17-03-2005, 04:42 PM
Mike

--
H.M.S.Collingwood Ass. Llandudno 20 - 23 May Trip to Portmeirion
National Service (RAF) Ass. Cosford 24 - 27 June Spitfire Fly Past

Old 17-03-2005, 07:25 PM
Alan Gould

In article , Geo
rdenbanter.co.uk writes

I thought i`d introduce myself and be sociable
I`ve been looking for a gardening forum and finally came across a good
one that has a uk bit.
I`m located in lincs and have recently set about building a greenhouse
so i`ll have something to potter about in and experiment with now i`m
getting older.
The weather has slowed progress down but it`s getting there.
I have lots of ideas that are "out of the ordinary" and hope to use at
least some of them to get year round use of the greenhouse to grow
organic produce.

Welcome to urg Geo.
Ignore any noises off, they are part of the entertainment here.
Feel free to ask any questions, or begin any discussions you wish,
preferably on the group topic of UK rec. gardening.

We too grow organic produce in Lincs. and we too have recently completed
a greenhouse renovation in time for this year's planting.
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.
Old 17-03-2005, 11:03 PM

In article , Mike
writes

Having been lectured to, by one of the not too cheerful or ever laughing
net nannies and 'owners' of the uk.rec.gardening newsgroup, welcome :-))

Mike
who has a cat crap free garden :-))

Although there's quite a lot spilling down his chin.

Don't give up the day job, you will never make it as a comedian

Mike

Oh I don't know, probably most of us found it funny, lets face it mike
you do talk crap most of the time

--
David
Old 18-03-2005, 06:23 AM
JennyC

"Geo" wrote in message

I thought i`d introduce myself and be sociable
I`ve been looking for a gardening forum and finally came across a good
one that has a uk bit.
I`m located in lincs and have recently set about building a greenhouse
so i`ll have something to potter about in and experiment with now i`m
getting older.
The weather has slowed progress down but it`s getting there.
I have lots of ideas that are "out of the ordinary" and hope to use at
least some of them to get year round use of the greenhouse to grow
organic produce.
Regards to all

Geo

Welcome to URG (uk.rec.gardening) Geo

Janet's comments are worth taking on board, but ignore the flack that seems to
be going on ATM. This happens from time to time, but usually dies away as the
trolls get bored :~)

Getting a GH is a great idea. Will you be growing anything else apart from
vegetables?

Jenny

Old 18-03-2005, 09:33 AM
Janet Tweedy

In article , Janet Baraclough
writes
The message
from Geo contains these words:

I thought i`d introduce myself and be sociable
I`ve been looking for a gardening forum and finally came across a good
one that has a uk bit.
I`m located in lincs and have recently set about building a greenhouse
so i`ll have something to potter about in and experiment with now i`m
getting older.

It's a pity Gordon Brown didn't think of that...a free solar powered
greenhouse for every pensioner would save cold-weather payments

Ah but Geo from gardenbanter might be 21 and meaning that he was getting
old enough to be allowed to do things in the garden on his own
Not sure a greenhouse for every 21 yr old would be ideal, the sate of
most teenagers bedroom would make me worry about the sight fro outside
the greenhouse if the said teenagers were allowed to occupy it!
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph

Old 18-03-2005, 09:37 AM
Mike

Not sure a greenhouse for every 21 yr old would be ideal, the sate of
most teenagers bedroom would make me worry about the sight fro outside
the greenhouse if the said teenagers were allowed to occupy it!
--

Wall posters of Football, Tennis, Pop etc stars would soon solve that
problem to them ;-((

(Blue tack not staple guns to fix) ;-)

Old 18-03-2005, 10:48 AM
David

"Geo" wrote in message

I thought i`d introduce myself and be sociable
I`ve been looking for a gardening forum and finally came across a good
one that has a uk bit.
I`m located in lincs and have recently set about building a greenhouse
so i`ll have something to potter about in and experiment with now i`m
getting older.
The weather has slowed progress down but it`s getting there.
I have lots of ideas that are "out of the ordinary" and hope to use at
least some of them to get year round use of the greenhouse to grow
organic produce.

Regards to all
Geo

Hi Geo and welcome. You will find this newsgroup an excellent source of
information, advice and friendly banter!

regards,

David

Old 18-03-2005, 04:21 PM
Geo Geo is offline
Registered User

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone.
This is my first experience of usenet so its a bit strange but I`ve had dealings with trolls before

What am i going to grow? well anything that will grow in the conditions i guess. That will be an ongoing experiment through all seasons.

Am i 21? i wish!
you can double that figure at least.
My football poster days are well and truly over i think.

The greenhouse is a geodesic dome, 14ft in diameter and has about 140 sq ft floor area, a very strong and energy efficient shape.

It`s not finished yet due to the weather and family stuff but hopefully i`ll have it done before the decent weather arrives..i`m not in any great rush.

I plan to use 2/5 of it as a fish room (seperated and well insulated) with 1000 gals of water (mostly rainwater) to house my catfish.
The greenhouse part will be the 3/5 facing south with just over 160 sq ft of glazing.
The fish will provide the organic nutrients and irrigation for the greenhouse side.The plants will take out the nitrates and clean the water for the fish.

Technically it`s called aquaponic but mother nature would call it growing in gravel next to a heavily stocked river

A bonus of the water is it provides thermal mass which reduces summer temperature swings and should save some heating costs in winter.

So thats the plan, a bit unusual granted.. but it will be fun to see what happens.

Regards Geo

Old 19-03-2005, 08:10 AM
JennyC

"Geo" wrote in message
snipped

Am i 21? i wish!

you can double that figure at least.

I have the feeling that you will fit wll into the average age here Geo :~))

The greenhouse is a geodesic dome, 14ft in diameter and has about 140
sq ft floor area, a very strong and energy efficient shape.

Ohhhhhh - pictures I wanna see pictures.
Sounds like something I would love.
My GH is a lean to on the roof garden :
www.ljconline.nl

Technically it`s called aquaponic but mother nature would call it
growing in gravel next to a heavily stocked river

I'll be looking that up later........

So thats the plan, a bit unusual granted.. but it will be fun to see
what happens.

Do keep us posted.
Jenny

Old 19-03-2005, 04:07 PM
Geo Geo is offline
Registered User

Hi Jenny,
Your highrise greenhouse is great and being a little closer to the sun is no bad thing
I`ve posted a picture of the greenhouse during construction so you`ll have an idea what it may look like once i get it finished.

http://usera.imagecave.com/Geo/Green...greenhouse.jpg

As for the aquaponics, i have a little experiment going on with some chillies to test the theory out and so far its looking good but i`m running out of space rapidly.
All they have to grow in is fishwater and they have been in that since they germinated.
They were pretty tiny as you can see from the pics:
http://usera.imagecave.com/Geo/Green...ies10thfeb.jpg

The big picture was taken on 16th march and the tallest are about 13"
http://usera.imagecave.com/Geo/Green...uachillies.jpg

The droopy leaves are due to the cold night temperature i think, as they pick up in the day when it gets warmer.
This is my first attempt at growing chillies by any method so i`m not sure what they need but they seem to be doing fine so far

Geo

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennyC

Just popping to say hello wafflycat United Kingdom 22 29-04-2009 01:21 PM
I'd just like to say... BustedFrog United Kingdom 0 29-05-2008 02:11 PM
I just want to say sljlt Gardening 2 10-03-2008 10:26 PM
Just wanted to say Hi...It's been a long while Just Me \Koi\ Ponds 32 24-02-2005 04:32 PM