Old 17-03-2005, 09:09 PM
RW

Default Leaves of Jasmine plant turning brown

I have a jasmine plant growing outdoors in a sunny well drained spot. It is
aprox 2 to 3 metres tall and I have trained it round a rose arch.

Today I noticed that some leaves are turning brown from the outside of the
leaf towards the inside. This seems to be gradually happening from the lower
leaves upwards.

Could it be that this is simply due to lack of water, or some other cause?
It has been quite dry (and warm) here in London recently.

RW.

Old 17-03-2005, 11:36 PM
Emrys Davies

"RW" wrote in message
I have a jasmine plant growing outdoors in a sunny well drained spot.

It is
aprox 2 to 3 metres tall and I have trained it round a rose arch.

Today I noticed that some leaves are turning brown from the outside of

the
leaf towards the inside. This seems to be gradually happening from the

lower
leaves upwards.

Could it be that this is simply due to lack of water, or some other

cause?
It has been quite dry (and warm) here in London recently.

RW.

All I can find under pests and diseases is that grey mould may cause
die-back after frost damage.

Is the root area open to the elements and not sheltered by some
overhanging obstruction.

You could disturb the nearby soil to see if it is sufficiently moist.

Regards,
Emrys Davies.

Old 18-03-2005, 08:46 AM
Charlie Pridham

"RW" wrote in message
I have a jasmine plant growing outdoors in a sunny well drained spot. It

is
aprox 2 to 3 metres tall and I have trained it round a rose arch.

Today I noticed that some leaves are turning brown from the outside of the
leaf towards the inside. This seems to be gradually happening from the

lower
leaves upwards.

Could it be that this is simply due to lack of water, or some other cause?
It has been quite dry (and warm) here in London recently.

RW.

Since the only hardy jasmines are deciduous I suspect yours is suffering
from frost damage due to the recent cold weather, they nearly always recover
fully but flowering may be effected this year.
Leave it alone until Mid April then tidy away any dead ends.

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 18-03-2005, 04:50 PM
Spider

RW wrote in message
I have a jasmine plant growing outdoors in a sunny well drained spot. It

is
aprox 2 to 3 metres tall and I have trained it round a rose arch.

Today I noticed that some leaves are turning brown from the outside of the
leaf towards the inside. This seems to be gradually happening from the

lower
leaves upwards.

Could it be that this is simply due to lack of water, or some other cause?
It has been quite dry (and warm) here in London recently.

RW.

Being lower down on the plant, I would surmise drought (I'm in London, and
it has been very dry). Frost or wind damage could cause that sort of
damage, but I would have expected it to damage the upper leaves as well -
possibly more.

Spider

Old 18-03-2005, 06:19 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Charlie Pridham wrote:

Since the only hardy jasmines are deciduous I suspect yours is suffering
from frost damage due to the recent cold weather, they nearly always recover
fully but flowering may be effected this year.
Leave it alone until Mid April then tidy away any dead ends.

None are really hardy, not even J. nudiflorum. That is the nearest
to an evergreen, hardy jasmine, on the grounds that its stems remain
green :-) My J. officinale kept leaves until this frost, and they
have all withered; I expect it to sulk for a bit, and then grow as
normal (but I rarely get flowers).

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 18-03-2005, 06:41 PM
RW

"Spider" wrote in message

RW wrote in message
[...]

That is what I suspected.

It just seems so strange to have to start watering outdoor plants mid-March.

RW

Griselina Littoralis (NZ privet) - leaves turning brown.. AL_n United Kingdom 16 19-11-2011 12:46 PM
Black Spots Turning Live Oak Leaves Brown Scott Harper Texas 6 28-09-2007 10:48 PM
Jasmine turning brown jaf North Carolina 2 13-05-2007 10:07 PM
Jasmine turning brown jaf Gardening 3 13-05-2007 04:55 AM
Pony Tail Palm ( Beaucarnea recurvata) leaves turning brown Cereoid+10 Plant Biology 2 05-04-2003 03:32 PM