Old 27-03-2005, 04:48 PM
Blair

Default Lawn Sand query

I bought a bag of Lawn Sand which I had assumed contained a chemical which
killed moss. After putting it on there appears to be no blacking of the moss
which in the past would have happened by now especially as we have had rain.
The bag I had before did have sand and a chemical mixed.
If it is not called Lawn Sand what should I be asking for?

--
Blair Malcolm

Old 27-03-2005, 05:06 PM
Connor T

just take a look at just about any spring lawn fertiliser - most include
moss killers.

Just using a moss killer isnt likely to solve your problem - by fertilising
too the extra vigour in the grass should outcompete the moss.

also worth looking at why there is moss, and fixing that ( drainage / light
etc? )

Old 27-03-2005, 05:18 PM
Gary

On 3/27/05 7:48 AM, in article , "Blair"
wrote:

I bought a bag of Lawn Sand which I had assumed contained a chemical which
killed moss. After putting it on there appears to be no blacking of the moss
which in the past would have happened by now especially as we have had rain.
The bag I had before did have sand and a chemical mixed.
If it is not called Lawn Sand what should I be asking for?

I have used moss killer. The moss goes black and I raked it up. The moss
returned....What I do now is use the sand (just sand) to bury the moss.
Grass will grow through the sand where as the moss will not. To work, the
moss must be completely buried. Eventually it has to be done again (add
sand) because the sand will work it's way into the soil. Also by not adding
chemicals (moss killer) I keep the worms alive and working. Buying sand by
the bag can be expensive. It would be cheaper if you could find some in
bulk...

gary

Old 27-03-2005, 07:38 PM
Geo

On Sun, 27 Mar 2005 16:48:28 +0100, "Blair"
wrote:

I bought a bag of Lawn Sand which I had assumed contained a chemical which
killed moss. After putting it on there appears to be no blacking of the moss
which in the past would have happened by now especially as we have had rain.
The bag I had before did have sand and a chemical mixed.
If it is not called Lawn Sand what should I be asking for?

The instructions usually say to apply when the lawn is damp with dew and several
dry days are expected. This gives the stuff time to burn the broad weeds etc
before it is washed off and into the soil. What did yours say?

Geo
Old 27-03-2005, 09:46 PM
Neil Tonks

wrote:

[...]

If you do this, make sure you buy horticultural or 'sharp' sand and not
building sand, which isn't suitable for this job.

--
Neil

Visit my Peak District walking website - www.peakwalking.co.uk

Old 28-03-2005, 05:04 PM
Blair

wrote:

I bought a bag of Lawn Sand which I had assumed contained a chemical

which
killed moss. After putting it on there appears to be no blacking of the

moss
which in the past would have happened by now especially as we have had

rain.
The bag I had before did have sand and a chemical mixed.
If it is not called Lawn Sand what should I be asking for?

The instructions usually say to apply when the lawn is damp with dew and

several
dry days are expected. This gives the stuff time to burn the broad weeds

etc
before it is washed off and into the soil. What did yours say?

Geo

Thanks to all who replied.
I now realise that I bought sharp sand which is expensive. But where to get
a cheaper or free supply is difficult to find.
To day I bought a bag of Lawn Conditioner from B & Q which contains moss
killer and fertiliser.costing £15.98 and applied it on a damp day.
I have two main lawns one at the back of my house which had good soil added
when I built my house but the side lawn was sown on poorer soil partly
because the level had to be reduced so the minimum of good soil was added.
I have added fertiliser every year to this side lawn but the moss still
appears
The ground is well drained
Blair

Old 29-03-2005, 01:06 PM

Blair wrote:
Thanks to all who replied.
I now realise that I bought sharp sand which is expensive. But where

to get
a cheaper or free supply is difficult to find.

Wickes?

To day I bought a bag of Lawn Conditioner from B & Q which contains

moss
killer and fertiliser.costing =A315.98 and applied it on a damp day.
I have two main lawns one at the back of my house which had good soil

added
when I built my house but the side lawn was sown on poorer soil

partly
because the level had to be reduced so the minimum of good soil was

added.
I have added fertiliser every year to this side lawn but the moss

still
appears
The ground is well drained

Yes but is it sunny?

Old 29-03-2005, 02:43 PM
Blair

wrote in message
oups.com...

Blair wrote:
[...]

It is less sunny than the back lawn
Blair

Old 17-04-2005, 05:39 AM
Gary

wrote:

[...]

Getting rid of moss simply means one needs to bury the moss...any sand will
do that. You could use a newspaper but only if the grass would grow through
it-which it won't. Any sand...that completely buries the moss.

HELP - builders sand in my lawn wardcorp Lawns 1 30-04-2009 12:48 PM
builders sand instead of horticultural sand jw 111 Texas 15 24-08-2005 02:46 PM
Sand sand and sand kcchin Gardening 8 15-06-2003 04:20 PM
Aerating the lawn - which type of sand ged hickman United Kingdom 1 18-05-2003 08:44 PM
lawn Sand Peter United Kingdom 0 23-04-2003 08:32 AM