Old 07-04-2005, 12:55 PM
Magwitch

Alan Holmes muttered:

Trying to dig the veg plot for this years crops, last year I had some
four foot wide beds, but I decided they weren't really suitable for the
potatoes, so I've started to dig them wider, to make them wide enough
for rows of potatoes in fours, eight seed potatoes in two rows, of
three varieties, will provide me with enough for the year.

So, I've been digging over the 'virgin' soil I haven't dug for a long
time, I'm absolutely knackered!

Now all I want is a long rest with lots of feminine company!(:-)

I was doing the same thing all morning until a cataclysmic thunder and hail
storm drove me inside... one bed was for potatoes and one for beans and
peas.

BTW the peas and beans bed had a massive wood bonfire on it recently leaving
a pile of wood ash that I've now dug in. Am I right in thinking peas and
beans like potash?

Old 07-04-2005, 06:13 PM
Alan Holmes

Default This gardening lark is damned hard work!

--
alan

reply to alan(dot)holmes27(at)virgin(dot)net

Old 07-04-2005, 06:24 PM
Harold Walker

"Alan Holmes" wrote in message

Trying to dig the veg plot for this years crops, last year I had some
four foot wide beds, but I decided they weren't really suitable for the
potatoes, so I've started to dig them wider, to make them wide enough
for rows of potatoes in fours, eight seed potatoes in two rows, of
three varieties, will provide me with enough for the year.

So, I've been digging over the 'virgin' soil I haven't dug for a long
time, I'm absolutely knackered!

Now all I want is a long rest with lots of feminine
company!(:-)////////////////////if, as you say, you are knackered what on
earth would you do with loads of women?????????????

Old 07-04-2005, 06:28 PM
davek

Trying to dig the veg plot for this years crops, last year I had some
four foot wide beds, but I decided they weren't really suitable for the
potatoes, so I've started to dig them wider, to make them wide enough
for rows of potatoes in fours, eight seed potatoes in two rows, of
three varieties, will provide me with enough for the year.

So, I've been digging over the 'virgin' soil I haven't dug for a long
time, I'm absolutely knackered!

What's with all that digging?
There's an organic gardening website- 'hdra'. Should be www.hdra.org.uk but
it doesn't link.
Grow potatoes without digging. Sounds daft but they say it works.
You need a supply of old seaweed, straw or cheap compost.
I read somewhere you could put the seed potato directly on the rough ground,
and just cover it with a handful of moss. No earthing up, just keep putting
more moss on as the plant grew.
DaveK.

Old 07-04-2005, 06:37 PM
Mike

What's with all that digging?
There's an organic gardening website- 'hdra'. Should be www.hdra.org.uk

but
it doesn't link.
Grow potatoes without digging. Sounds daft but they say it works.
You need a supply of old seaweed, straw or cheap compost.
I read somewhere you could put the seed potato directly on the rough

ground,
and just cover it with a handful of moss. No earthing up, just keep

putting
more moss on as the plant grew.
DaveK.

Long row of peat about 2 ft wide. Cover with black plastic with crosses cut
every 18 inches. Shove a seed spud through the cross. Secure edges with
soil.

To harvest, clear soil near spud, lift black plastic, 'pick' suitable size
spud, secure plastic again. Repeat as spuds grow. No tiddlers, cos you don't
pick em, no whoppers because you pick them before they get that far :-)))))

I was giving my neighbours spuds by the wheelbarrow load.

Now someone will say that method doesn't work. Barrowcloth more than likely.

:-))

Mike

Old 07-04-2005, 07:34 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Alan Holmes wrote:

So, I've been digging over the 'virgin' soil I haven't dug for a long
time, I'm absolutely knackered!

Now all I want is a long rest with lots of feminine company!(:-)

If you are that knackered, you won't be capable of taking
advantage of it :-)

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 08-04-2005, 12:18 PM
w.g.s.hamm

"Alan Holmes" wrote in message

Trying to dig the veg plot for this years crops, last year I had some
four foot wide beds, but I decided they weren't really suitable for the
potatoes, so I've started to dig them wider, to make them wide enough
for rows of potatoes in fours, eight seed potatoes in two rows, of
three varieties, will provide me with enough for the year.

So, I've been digging over the 'virgin' soil I haven't dug for a long
time, I'm absolutely knackered!

Now all I want is a long rest with lots of feminine company!(:-)

You want to sit and watch footie on the telly while your lady friend digs
the ground? ;-)

Doesn't real hard graft give you a buzz? I love it although I now canno0t do
as much as I used to due to my disability, but on occassions (don't tell my
doctor) I have been known to swallow some of my 'big' painkillers and go out
and graft hard until I am exhausted. Boy does that feel *good* even if I do
wake up the next day unable to get out of bed :0)

Old 08-04-2005, 07:58 PM
Alan Holmes

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message
from "Alan Holmes" contains these words:

Now all I want is a long rest with lots of feminine company!(:-)

Burial in a convent crypt could be arranged.

Only if there are a lot of nuns with me!(:-)

Alan

Janet

Old 08-04-2005, 11:31 PM
Alan Holmes

"w.g.s.hamm" wrote in message

"Alan Holmes" wrote in message

Trying to dig the veg plot for this years crops, last year I had some
four foot wide beds, but I decided they weren't really suitable for the
potatoes, so I've started to dig them wider, to make them wide enough
for rows of potatoes in fours, eight seed potatoes in two rows, of
three varieties, will provide me with enough for the year.

So, I've been digging over the 'virgin' soil I haven't dug for a long
time, I'm absolutely knackered!

Now all I want is a long rest with lots of feminine company!(:-)

You want to sit and watch footie on the telly while your lady friend digs
the ground? ;-)

That sounds wonderful, unfortunately she doesn't want aything to do with
real productive gardening, other than eat the result!(:-)

Doesn't real hard graft give you a buzz? I love it although I now canno0t
do
as much as I used to due to my disability, but on occassions (don't tell
my
doctor) I have been known to swallow some of my 'big' painkillers and go
out
and graft hard until I am exhausted. Boy does that feel *good* even if I
do
wake up the next day unable to get out of bed :0)

I have trouble getting out of bed every day!

Old 09-04-2005, 05:57 PM
len gardener

g'day alan,

maybe time to consider raised beds, i use them and digging isn't in my
regime. so that could leave you the time you need for your other
exploits.

len

snipped
--
happy gardening

my e/mail addies have spam filters you should know what to delete before you send.

Hard work, Multi-choice question David Hill United Kingdom 8 27-05-2012 08:07 PM
Work, Work, Work Hud Edible Gardening 21 10-05-2007 12:23 AM
whats with this gardening lark :-) Kate Morgan United Kingdom 4 20-03-2005 02:22 PM
Lark Greenhouse Jorge B Gardening 3 04-04-2003 01:56 AM