Old 20-04-2005, 07:11 PM
Phil L

Kay wrote:
:: In article , Phil L
:: writes
::: Miss Perspicacia Tick wrote:
:::::
::::: Obviously R.E. wasn't on the syllabus at whatever school it was
::::: you attended...
:::
::: It was but they didn't teach us about Latin / Italian / Greek
::: spellings for obscure plants, it was more about God, Yahweh,
::: Iseraelites and such likes, what a strange school you must have
::: attended. :-p
:: Maybe it's a girls' school thing - you mean you didn't get the
:: biblical story about Jesus referring to Peter as his 'rock' (or
:: something like that ...)?

Hmmm, no not really, we didn't get any biblical stories at all, it was more
a kind of 'debate' type lesson where the teacher would put forward a topic
(maybe religion related, I can't remember) and the whole class would argue
against each other...he would sit on his desk watching the battle unfold and
only ever chirped in if it got too heated. - it wasn't a religious school,
so RE itself wasn't a study of the christian religion, more a study of
religion per se.

They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country
and our people, and neither do we."
- George W. Bush, 5.8.2004

Old 20-04-2005, 08:11 PM
p00kie

"Keith" wrote in message
Hopefully some of you may be able to help

I have three Sons Peter, David and Alden
In an effort to get them involved in the Garden, I am trying to buy plants
that they can 'adopt'

I have planted a row of Alders around our pond which is as close to Alden
as I am likely to get!

I have planted Acer Davidii and Davidia Involucrate for David

But can I find a Tree or for that matter anything called Peter, no
Anyone know of any plants with Peter in their name?

rgds
Keith

Found this :
http://www.desert-tropicals.com/Plan..._filifera.html

Old 20-04-2005, 08:48 PM
Mike Lyle

Phil L wrote:
Kay wrote:
In article , Phil

[...]

I'm all for that. But, OT, it's quite impossible to understand whole
chunks of our culture without some knowledge of the Bible: I wish
schools could find a way of dealing with the problem. (I was amused a
while ago to learn of a school which had placed religious education
in the Humanities Department!)

--
Mike.

Old 20-04-2005, 09:15 PM
Keith

Thanks all there are some gems there, both plants and the slightly ot
thread has given me an additional route to explore

rgds
Keith
Old 20-04-2005, 09:29 PM
Kay

In article , Phil L
writes
Hmmm, no not really, we didn't get any biblical stories at all, it was more
a kind of 'debate' type lesson where the teacher would put forward a topic
(maybe religion related, I can't remember) and the whole class would argue
against each other...he would sit on his desk watching the battle unfold and
only ever chirped in if it got too heated. - it wasn't a religious school,
so RE itself wasn't a study of the christian religion, more a study of
religion per se.

I guess you're a lot younger than me ;-)
That sort of thing was considered very 'advanced' in my day.
--
Kay

Old 22-04-2005, 03:45 PM
Miss Perspicacia Tick

Kay wrote:
In article , Phil L
writes
Miss Perspicacia Tick wrote:

Obviously R.E. wasn't on the syllabus at whatever school it was you
attended...

It was but they didn't teach us about Latin / Italian / Greek
spellings for obscure plants, it was more about God, Yahweh,
Iseraelites and such likes, what a strange school you must have
attended. :-p

Maybe it's a girls' school thing - you mean you didn't get the
biblical story about Jesus referring to Peter as his 'rock' (or
something like that ...)?

Not only was it an all girls' school - it was a convent (The Sisters of the
Holy Cross)! R.E. was compulsory up to O Level. Now, it's not a convent (the
nuns have been put out to pasture) and they accept boys in the nursery and
infants. All the nuns were Sister Mary somebody-or-other - apart from the
headmistress who was Sister Kevin Arthur Russell. It wasn't until recently I
learned that there really /was/ a St Kevin - but I cannot find a St Arthur,
nor a St Russell (some things I've read have canonised King Arthur but how
can he be a saint when he didn't exist?).

Sorry to drag this even more OT. ;o)

Sarah

Old 22-04-2005, 04:09 PM
Phil L

Martin wrote:
:: On Fri, 22 Apr 2005 15:45:48 +0100, "Miss Perspicacia Tick"
:: wrote:
::
::: Kay wrote:
:::: In article ,
:::: Phil L writes
::::: Miss Perspicacia Tick wrote:
:::::::
[...]
:: Are you sure that Kevin Arthur Russell wasn't in drag?

My thoughts exactly!

They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country
and our people, and neither do we."
- George W. Bush, 5.8.2004

Peter Ruh....picture update!!!! hostavalley Gardening 8 26-12-2005 02:20 AM
What ever happened to Peter? wendy7 Orchids 1 21-04-2004 08:15 PM
Outdoors to indoors, insecticide and fungicide-4 Peter Wendy Orchids 7 10-10-2003 12:02 AM
were is peter keith Orchids 8 25-09-2003 02:29 AM
[IBC] looking for Peter Aradi Craig Cowing Bonsai 0 21-03-2003 01:44 PM