Old 16-05-2005, 05:37 PM
Bob Hobden

"Alan Gould" wrote uk...
Bob Hobden writes
Not tried "organic" chemicals for pest control so can't comment.

Chemicals such as insecticides, herbicides and fungicides are not used
in organic systems.

In a totally separate wildlife garden then OK.
Our site is a 9.6 acre wildlife garden except for 4 plots 2 of which are
ours so we don't have to think about giving wildlife somewhere, it's more
about fighting to keep wildlife off our plots/veg.

Each gardener to their own way of gardening. We work with nature and we
find it very rewarding. We would find it very stressful to fight nature.

Interesting comment when you just said you use "organic" chemicals to
control insect damage. No doubt you also use other methods like fleece,
cloches, netting etc all of which is fighting nature. Digging, weeding,
watering, pruning......is all fighting nature.

If we don't fight nature we would have no leeks (Leek Moth), no brassicas
(Flea Beatle) and no peas or beans (Pea & Bean Weevil). Doesn't leave much.
:-)

Mind you with the withdrawal of synthetic chemicals from the private
gardener we might all have to resort to "organic" chemicals of unknown
compounds and strength or give up growing our own food and buy Organic (TM).
Never!
--
Regards
Bob

Old 16-05-2005, 06:07 PM
Mike Lyle

Bob Hobden wrote:
"Alan Gould" wrote uk...

[...]
We would find it very stressful to fight
nature.

Interesting comment when you just said you use "organic" chemicals

control insect damage. No doubt you also use other methods like
fleece, cloches, netting etc all of which is fighting nature.
Digging, weeding, watering, pruning......is all fighting nature.

If we don't fight nature we would have no leeks (Leek Moth), no
brassicas (Flea Beatle) and no peas or beans (Pea & Bean Weevil).
Doesn't leave much. :-)

Mind you with the withdrawal of synthetic chemicals from the

private
gardener we might all have to resort to "organic" chemicals of

unknown
compounds and strength or give up growing our own food and buy
Organic (TM). Never!

Oh dear! Here we go again! Why not just ask straight out "How dare
organic gardeners wear clothes?" Let's not pretend that those on
either side of the argument are stupid. No doubt some on both sides
are, but that's irrelevant. And some of them, such as you, simply
like a good old cheerful punch-up. I suggest a new subject-line
prefix, analogous to "OT": "PUP" standing for "Punch-Up, Please".

--
Mike.

Old 16-05-2005, 06:42 PM
Alan Gould

In article , Bob Hobden
writes

Interesting comment when you just said you use "organic" chemicals to
control insect damage.

AFAIK I have never referred to 'organic chemicals' in the recognised
horticultural sense of the expression because no such thing exists.
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.
Old 16-05-2005, 06:48 PM
Alan Gould

In article , Mike Lyle mike_lyle_uk@REMO
VETHISyahoo.co.uk writes
Oh dear! Here we go again! Why not just ask straight out "How dare
organic gardeners wear clothes?" Let's not pretend that those on
either side of the argument are stupid. No doubt some on both sides
are, but that's irrelevant. And some of them, such as you, simply
like a good old cheerful punch-up. I suggest a new subject-line
prefix, analogous to "OT": "PUP" standing for "Punch-Up, Please".

There's no need for any punch up. The subject of organic gardening is
fully detailed in the urg FAQ on the subject at:

http://www.nugget.demon.co.uk/MetaFA...gardening.html
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.
Old 16-05-2005, 09:32 PM
Mike Lyle

Alan Gould wrote:
In article , Mike Lyle
mike_lyle_uk@REMO VETHISyahoo.co.uk writes
Oh dear! Here we go again! Why not just ask straight out "How dare
organic gardeners wear clothes?" Let's not pretend that those on
either side of the argument are stupid. No doubt some on both

sides
are, but that's irrelevant. And some of them, such as you, simply
like a good old cheerful punch-up. I suggest a new subject-line
prefix, analogous to "OT": "PUP" standing for "Punch-Up, Please".

There's no need for any punch up. The subject of organic gardening

is
fully detailed in the urg FAQ on the subject at:

http://www.nugget.demon.co.uk/MetaFA...gardening.html

My point entirely; but if Bob wants to play, I'll play. The
difference will be that, though arguing in quite the same ludic
spirit, I'll actually mean it. I won't, for example, say that if he
doesn't like eating organic things he'd better restrict his diet to
minerals, which was about the level of his sighting shots. I've
practiced on dear Franz, after all (I do hope he's OK).

--
Mike.

Old 17-05-2005, 07:12 AM
Alan Gould

In article , Mike Lyle mike_lyle_uk@REMO
VETHISyahoo.co.uk writes
There's no need for any punch up. The subject of organic gardening

is
fully detailed in the urg FAQ on the subject at:

http://www.nugget.demon.co.uk/MetaFA...gardening.html

My point entirely; but if Bob wants to play, I'll play. The
difference will be that, though arguing in quite the same ludic
spirit, I'll actually mean it. I won't, for example, say that if he
doesn't like eating organic things he'd better restrict his diet to
minerals, which was about the level of his sighting shots.

I've even been told that I shouldn't take Dr.prescribed medications!
I've
practiced on dear Franz, after all (I do hope he's OK).

Yes, where is dear old Franz lately? He really was not able to grasp the
concept of organic gardening because he was trying to relate it to his
own very different ways.

I will willingly discuss and explain organic methods for anyone who
wants to know about it. They don't need to either like the system or
agree with it, but if they want to knock it, they would be able to do
that much better if they know something about it. Unfortunately it too
often goes back to deliberate mis-definitions of the words 'organic' and
'chemical' in the context of gardening, as Bob has just sadly shown.
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.
Old 17-05-2005, 11:56 AM
Mike Lyle

Alan Gould wrote:
In article , Mike Lyle
mike_lyle_uk@REMO VETHISyahoo.co.uk writes

[...]
I've
practiced on dear Franz, after all (I do hope he's OK).

Yes, where is dear old Franz lately? [...]

He's been missing from sci.physics for some weeks, too. I took the
liberty of dropping an email three weeks ago, but have had no reply.

--
Mike.

Old 17-05-2005, 04:50 PM
Bob Hobden

"Alan Gould" wrote t
I will willingly discuss and explain organic methods for anyone who
wants to know about it. They don't need to either like the system or
agree with it, but if they want to knock it, they would be able to do
that much better if they know something about it. Unfortunately it too
often goes back to deliberate mis-definitions of the words 'organic' and
'chemical' in the context of gardening, as Bob has just sadly shown.

How can one discuss sensibly with organic growers of veg who constantly talk
about working with nature when they fight nature just as much as any other
gardener, they dig, they cover the ground to smother it, they fertilise,
they weed, they stake, they water, they remove butterfly eggs and
caterpillars, they spray with plant extracts (chemicals) of unknown
strength, and worse, they make up the brew themselves so have little idea of
the chemical compounds involved and their effect on wildlife( sorry they
aren't chemicals are they, they must be magic then. Get real, some of our
best chemicals came from plants originally and some kill).

Work with nature indeed! They just fight to control it another way.

--
Regards
Bob (who gardens with as little synthetic or otherwise chemicals as he can

Old 17-05-2005, 05:00 PM
Bob Hobden

"Mike Lyle" wrote .
My point entirely; but if Bob wants to play, I'll play. The
difference will be that, though arguing in quite the same ludic
spirit, I'll actually mean it. I won't, for example, say that if he
doesn't like eating organic things he'd better restrict his diet to
minerals, which was about the level of his sighting shots. I've
practiced on dear Franz, after all (I do hope he's OK).

Can't read or do you need glasses Mike?
Perhaps Franz was fed up with silly comments such as yours above, unrelated
to the thread as written, just so you can have a go.

Old 17-05-2005, 05:10 PM
Mike Lyle

Bob Hobden wrote:
"Mike Lyle" wrote .
My point entirely; but if Bob wants to play, I'll play. The
difference will be that, though arguing in quite the same ludic
spirit, I'll actually mean it. I won't, for example, say that if

he
doesn't like eating organic things he'd better restrict his diet

minerals, which was about the level of his sighting shots. I've
practiced on dear Franz, after all (I do hope he's OK).

Can't read or do you need glasses Mike?
Perhaps Franz was fed up with silly comments such as yours above,
unrelated to the thread as written, just so you can have a go.

I'm afraid it may be more serious than that, Bob. He hasn't appeared
in sci.physics since 18 March.

--
Mike.

Old 17-05-2005, 08:06 PM
Alan Gould

In article , Bob Hobden
writes

Work with nature indeed! They just fight to control it another way.

Wrong Bob, all wrong.
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.
Old 17-05-2005, 08:12 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Mike Lyle" contains these words:
Alan Gould wrote:
In article , Mike Lyle
mike_lyle_uk@REMO VETHISyahoo.co.uk writes

[...]
I've
practiced on dear Franz, after all (I do hope he's OK).

Yes, where is dear old Franz lately? [...]

He's been missing from sci.physics for some weeks, too. I took the
liberty of dropping an email three weeks ago, but have had no reply.

Funny, I was wondering that, too.

I do hope he's OK.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old 17-05-2005, 08:32 PM
Registered User

Just sit back and wait a year or two and all these weeds will arrive on their own VICTOR ERVINE
Old 17-05-2005, 11:00 PM
Bob Hobden

"Alan Gould" wrote ...

Work with nature indeed! They just fight to control it another way.

Wrong Bob, all wrong.

If you really believe that then good luck to you.