Old 23-02-2003, 07:47 PM
exxos

Default waste pipe

Hi all,

I'm not sure if this is the right group though anyway... I'm trying to track
down something 19" (ish) in diameter such as a large pipe of some
description. I've tried phoning builders yards and even card tube
manufactures with no luck. I've looked into buckets and bins though it can't
have slopped sides it has to be straight. The only pipe I can find is at
home and trade which is 6.3" in dia. Has anyone got any suggestions ?

cheers,
Chris

Old 23-02-2003, 08:34 PM
Jane Ransom

In article , exxos
writes
Hi all,

I'm not sure if this is the right group though anyway... I'm trying to track
down something 19" (ish) in diameter such as a large pipe of some
description. I've tried phoning builders yards and even card tube
manufactures with no luck. I've looked into buckets and bins though it can't
have slopped sides it has to be straight. The only pipe I can find is at
home and trade which is 6.3" in dia. Has anyone got any suggestions ?

When we dug our well we used some sort of drain collar - can't remember
the official name for them - sorry. They are cylinders of thick plastic
between one or two feet in length and they slot together. Got them from
a builder's merchants. You can get various diameters.
--
Jane Ransom in Lancaster.
but if you need to email me for any other reason,

Old 23-02-2003, 08:57 PM
Mike

In article , exxos
writes
Hi all,

I'm not sure if this is the right group though anyway... I'm trying to track
down something 19" (ish) in diameter such as a large pipe of some
description. I've tried phoning builders yards and even card tube
manufactures with no luck. I've looked into buckets and bins though it can't
have slopped sides it has to be straight. The only pipe I can find is at
home and trade which is 6.3" in dia. Has anyone got any suggestions ?

cheers,
Chris

Don't know if the measurement has to be exact or approx., or how long it
has to be, but I have a 60 litre Oil drum which is about 15 - 16 inches
diameter (dark outside at the moment and cannot see all that well)

I have seen on the back of lorries black pipe which looks as though it
is 'sort of' flexible via corrugations. Any good? and what length do you
want?

If it is just for the diameter for a former, how about a piece if metal,
lino, heavy card, carpet???

Mike

http://www.collingwoodassoc.org.uk/ Reunion. Chatham May 30th - June 2nd

Castle Class Corvettes Assn. Reunion October 2003 Isle of Wight.
National Service (RAF) Association reunion. Nov 2003 Scarborough.

Old 23-02-2003, 09:28 PM
exxos

"Mike" wrote in message
[...]

I did make a form which was 3foot high and 2foot across out of wood once
before though its very time consuming and its too cold ATM for wood cutting
;-) anyway, 19" isn't super crytical though 19" dia is ideal, height is
anything over 25inches. It has to be ridged and flat, I intend to wrap 0.4mm
wire around it so it has to support the wire and not flop about. Winding is
hard work so the sides have to be totally flat like normal waste pipe is. I
could use metal as a template form, I could make a fiberglass version of it
and use that, plastic would be ideal ( or anything which doesn't conduct ).
I know it all seems a bit ood, but just go with it ;-)

chris

Old 23-02-2003, 09:29 PM
exxos

"Jane Ransom" wrote in message
[...]

Not sure ive seen anything like that around, will keep a eye out though!

cheers,
chris

Old 23-02-2003, 09:41 PM
Mike

In article , exxos
writes

"Mike" wrote in message
[...]

Wow!! Some Inductor;-) or are we into short wave?
and would a metal core/former be of no use in that case?

Old 23-02-2003, 09:44 PM
david

But you don't say how long it needs to be, or what you want it for,

--
David Hill
Abacus Nurseries

Old 23-02-2003, 09:48 PM
Mike

In article , exxos
writes

Don't know if the measurement has to be exact or approx., or how long it
has to be, but I have a 60 litre Oil drum which is about 15 - 16 inches
diameter (dark outside at the moment and cannot see all that well)

Put my thinking head on and come up with the following idea.

Going on the oil drum idea above, which came from a garage by the way
the other day, how about 3 x 1 lengths of timber all round the diameter,
a) to increase the diameter and b) to extend the length to whatever you
require. These can be taped on to the drum and then when you 4 mm is
would bound the slats and drum can be removed if not toooo much tape is
holding it all together. Your wire will then be formed.

Any good?

My brain now hurts!

Old 23-02-2003, 09:57 PM
exxos

"Mike" wrote in message
news
In article , exxos
writes

Don't know if the measurement has to be exact or approx., or how long

it
has to be, but I have a 60 litre Oil drum which is about 15 - 16 inches
diameter (dark outside at the moment and cannot see all that well)

Put my thinking head on and come up with the following idea.

Going on the oil drum idea above, which came from a garage by the way
the other day, how about 3 x 1 lengths of timber all round the diameter,
a) to increase the diameter and b) to extend the length to whatever you
require. These can be taped on to the drum and then when you 4 mm is
would bound the slats and drum can be removed if not toooo much tape is
holding it all together. Your wire will then be formed.

Any good?

It could work like that, though if im going into wood again then I mayaswell
cut 19" circles and fix strips to it all that way, I did have a pic
somewhere of the 3foot one I did, I would upload that if I could find it :-\
It does give me another idea which IO didnt think of though

My brain now hurts!

My brain always hurts ;-)

chris

Mike

------

Old 23-02-2003, 10:09 PM
David @chapelllhouse.demon.co.uk

In article , exxos
writes
Hi all,

I'm not sure if this is the right group though anyway... I'm trying to track
down something 19" (ish) in diameter such as a large pipe of some
description. I've tried phoning builders yards and even card tube
manufactures with no luck. I've looked into buckets and bins though it can't
have slopped sides it has to be straight. The only pipe I can find is at
home and trade which is 6.3" in dia. Has anyone got any suggestions ?

cheers,
Chris

Have you looked at sections of concrete pipe? its used for mains
sewerage, there is a size somewhere around 18"-24". The sections are
about 3' long IIRC and are designed to fit into each other

--
David

Old 23-02-2003, 10:26 PM
Mike

In article , exxos
writes

"Mike" wrote in message
news
In article , exxos
writes

[...]

I just happen to know where there are some lengths of steel pipe which
when joined together would be ideal for a super gun ;-)
They happen to be about 19 inches in diameter :-)) ideal for what you
want. Nice and strong ;-) and seeing as I am a nice fellow I'll tell you
where they are. The Royal Armouries at Fort Nelson on the hill at the
back of Portsmouth. Talk nicely to them and they may lend you one :-))
but don't be seen leaving the country with it/them :-)

Old 24-02-2003, 01:23 AM

"exxos" wrote in message
Hi all,

I'm not sure if this is the right group though anyway...

uk.d-i-y is usually a good place to find strange things.

I'm trying to track
down something 19" (ish) in diameter such as a large pipe of some
description. I've tried phoning builders yards and even card tube
manufactures with no luck. I've looked into buckets and bins though it

can't
have slopped sides it has to be straight. The only pipe I can find is at
home and trade which is 6.3" in dia. Has anyone got any suggestions ?

One possibility might be inspection cover liners. You need to look in the
below-ground drainage catalogue in your local builders' merchants. They are
used to line the hole between an inspection chamber and the cover above.

Colin Bignell

Old 26-02-2003, 08:22 PM
anton

exxos wrote in message ...
Hi all,

I'm not sure if this is the right group though anyway... I'm trying to

track
down something 19" (ish) in diameter such as a large pipe of some
description. I've tried phoning builders yards and even card tube
manufactures with no luck. I've looked into buckets and bins though it

can't
have slopped sides it has to be straight. The only pipe I can find is at
home and trade which is 6.3" in dia. Has anyone got any suggestions ?

A stack of tyres?

--
Anton

Old 26-02-2003, 09:51 PM
exxos

"anton" wrote in message

exxos wrote in message ...
Hi all,

I'm not sure if this is the right group though anyway... I'm trying to

track
down something 19" (ish) in diameter such as a large pipe of some
description. I've tried phoning builders yards and even card tube
manufactures with no luck. I've looked into buckets and bins though it

can't
have slopped sides it has to be straight. The only pipe I can find is at
home and trade which is 6.3" in dia. Has anyone got any suggestions ?

A stack of tyres?

Could use them as a template I suppose, but I need to wind wire around them
and it was be next to impossible for me to do that on them alone :-\

Cheers,
Chris

--
Anton

Old 27-02-2003, 07:11 AM
anton

exxos wrote in message ...

"anton" wrote in message

exxos wrote in message ...
Hi all,

I'm not sure if this is the right group though anyway... I'm trying to

track
down something 19" (ish) in diameter such as a large pipe of some
description. I've tried phoning builders yards and even card tube
manufactures with no luck. I've looked into buckets and bins though it

can't
have slopped sides it has to be straight. The only pipe I can find is at
home and trade which is 6.3" in dia. Has anyone got any suggestions ?

A stack of tyres?

Could use them as a template I suppose, but I need to wind wire around them
and it was be next to impossible for me to do that on them alone :-\

A stack of tyres with a sheet of cardboard round them?

Or how about going polygonal instead of circular?
take 2 pieces of plywood to make the ends, drill lots of
one-inch holes in them to form a circle of whatever dia
you want, and shove broom handles through the holes.

--
Anton

--
Anton

Poly pipe fitting question hoges Australia 7 05-04-2003 06:33 AM
OT Was: waste pipe Paul Kelly United Kingdom 8 25-02-2003 07:00 AM
More on Pipe Sizes BenignVanilla Ponds 3 11-02-2003 01:25 AM
Return Pipe BenignVanilla Ponds 2 10-02-2003 09:55 PM
Pipe Size BenignVanilla Ponds 16 03-02-2003 02:05 PM