Old 31-05-2005, 06:23 PM
Chris Bacon

Victoria Clare wrote:

Some of our border is raised on Cornish
banks, and has contracted, slipped and moved about with the earth and
rocks.

Erm, theyz 'edges, moy loverr, not banks.
Old 31-05-2005, 06:27 PM
Charlie Pridham

"Broadback" wrote in message
Nick Maclaren wrote:

In article ,
"Bob Hobden" writes:

Depending on circumstances, there may be only a plan with a fairly
crude boundary. That is usually quite inadequate to show who owns
a fence - THAT information is more normally in the deeds or not
available. There seems to be no requirement on the precision of
the information that is registered, nor indeed that any information
is registered other than the boundary and the owner.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Though my boundaries are not clearly defined, especially on the South
side where they state "to water", and the water point varies, as it
dries out in the Summer!. However what is stated I must maintain stock
proof fencing on all boundaries. That I believe is common where the
property is surrounded by agricultural land.
I may be cynical, but perhaps the Renter does not pay rent, and does not
wish you to contact them as she is hoping to get squatters rights. What
possible reason could she have for not giving you the owners details?

It may be that the tenant is responsible for all repairs and maintenance of
gates and fences and doesn't want to find out that they have to fix it! The
Original posters solicitor should have established who owned which
boundaries.
A weak point in our system which I think needs correcting, is that the buyer
frequently views the property but does not see a copy of the deeds and their
solicitor sees the deeds but not the property, a state of affairs which
resulted in some friends discovering that they did not own their back
garden!
--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 31-05-2005, 06:37 PM
Mike

No Sir. The first house I owned, the posts were in the neighbour's garden
'cos they were her posts, even though according to law, it was my garden, my
posts, my fence etc etc etc, but I understood that they were "hers".

Mike

--
National Service (RAF) Ass. Cosford 24 - 27 June Spitfire Fly Past
H.M.S.Impregnable Ass. Sussex 1 - 4 July Visit to Int. Fest of the Sea
"loraine" wrote in message
Hi Stan, dont quote me on this but i was always under the impression that
whoevers garden the posts are in, the fence belongs to them......

Loraine

"Stan The Man" wrote in message
My garden adjoins a field and I would like to determine ownership of
the fence which divides us. The field is unregistered land but belongs
to someone in London who rents it out as a paddock. The tenant doesn't
know who owns the fence won't give me any further information about her
landlord - who hasn't visited the place in 30 years by all accounts.

The fence struts and battens are on my side. Is that proof that the
fence doesn't belong to me? Presumably not since if I had a front
garden fence, the battens would also be on the inside. So is it proof
that I do own the fence?

Old 31-05-2005, 07:25 PM
Harold Walker

"Jaques d'Alltrades" wrote in message
k...
The message
from "Harold Walker" contains these words:

I would suspect the only real way of knowing is to have your land
surveyed
to establish the boundery lines... me thinks anything witin those
boundery
lines is yours regardless of who put the fence up . H

Well, no. Anything on your property is your responsibility unless there
is an agreement to the contrary. If a fence is mistakenly (or
deliberately) built on your property, you don't automatically have
ownership of it.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/

At least one has a right to demand removal....is there such a thinig as
"adverse possession" in the UK....if so then anyone that sees such a fence
upon their land would be well advised top have it re-located...H

Old 31-05-2005, 07:26 PM
Stan The Man

In article , Chris Bacon
wrote:

1) What does it say on your deeds? This should be a good indication.

The only boundary specifically referenced in the deeds is on the
opposite side of the garden which adjoins agricultural land and
requires me (and the previous owner) to erect and maintain a sheep and
cattle-proof post and rail fence. I can't find any reference to the
other side...although I recall reading somewhere that most properties
only own the fence on one side...

2) What of any other property adjoining the field? Is the fence of
one type and construction all along?

Nothing else adjoins the paddock. The fence is uniform close boarded
timber panels approx 6ft high, and timber posts. The paddock tenant has
erected a barbed wire fence within a yard of the wooden fence to stop
her horses from contacting/damaging the wooden fence.

3) The fact that the "fence struts and battens" are on your side
tends to indicate that the fence is yours, but is in no way proof.

Old 31-05-2005, 10:05 PM
Mike Lyle

Stan The Man wrote:
In article , Chris Bacon
wrote:

1) What does it say on your deeds? This should be a good

indication.

The only boundary specifically referenced in the deeds is on the
opposite side of the garden which adjoins agricultural land and
requires me (and the previous owner) to erect and maintain a sheep

and
cattle-proof post and rail fence. I can't find any reference to the
other side...although I recall reading somewhere that most

properties
only own the fence on one side...

[...]

Your solicitor should have checked this in his pre-contract
enquiries, I'd have thought. That would mean it must be in writing
somewhere.

--
Mike.

Old 01-06-2005, 10:18 AM
Victoria Clare

Chris Bacon wrote in :

Victoria Clare wrote:

Some of our border is raised on Cornish
banks, and has contracted, slipped and moved about with the earth and
rocks.

Erm, theyz 'edges, moy loverr, not banks.

1) Some of the banks have hazel hedges on top: some are bald and grassy:
bank is a good word for distinguishing the two.

2) This area was practically depopulated after the failure of mining and
decline of the market gardening industry.

The proximity of a major railway line, a port, a tourist area and 2 main
roads means that the vast majority of the population has lived here for
less than a generation, and the linguistic pool is a bit contaminated to
say the least. None of my neighbours have been here longer than 13 years.

Attempts at local dialect sound a bit daft in such an environment.

3) 'my lover' - surely a South Devon term, not a Cornish one?
Old 01-06-2005, 11:14 AM
Chris Bacon

Victoria Clare wrote:
Chris Bacon wrote:
Victoria Clare wrote:
Some of our border is raised on Cornish
banks, and has contracted, slipped and moved about with the earth and
rocks.

Erm, theyz 'edges, moy loverr, not banks.

1) Some of the banks have hazel hedges on top: some are bald and grassy:
bank is a good word for distinguishing the two.

A Cornish Hedge is a "wall" of stone and soil - whether there's a hedge,
trees or whatever on top!

2) This area was practically depopulated after the failure of mining and
decline of the market gardening industry.

I wonder very roughly where in Cornwall you are... Penzance?

The proximity of a major railway line, a port, a tourist area and 2 main
roads means that the vast majority of the population has lived here for
less than a generation, and the linguistic pool is a bit contaminated to
say the least. None of my neighbours have been here longer than 13 years.

Cornwall is greying. I wouldn't say it's to do with the demise of
industry so much as the incoming of furriners with money who can
pay the price for property - and displace "natives". I shouldn't
think that there will be noticable dialect anywhere in - say -
30 years (unless it's from Brimingham or Lunnon).

Attempts at local dialect sound a bit daft in such an environment.

Sure do, more indeed to those who still speak with an accent. North
Cornwall is possibly the last bastion, and few under 30 years old
there...

3) 'my lover' - surely a South Devon term, not a Cornish one?

Maybe they picked it up from Cornwall.
Old 01-06-2005, 11:21 AM
Nick Maclaren

In article . 150,
Victoria Clare writes:
| Chris Bacon wrote in :
|
| Some of our border is raised on Cornish
| banks, and has contracted, slipped and moved about with the earth and
| rocks.
|
| Erm, theyz 'edges, moy loverr, not banks.
|
| 1) Some of the banks have hazel hedges on top: some are bald and grassy:
| bank is a good word for distinguishing the two.

They're still stone hedges, my dear.

| 2) This area was practically depopulated after the failure of mining and
| decline of the market gardening industry.

Actually, government policy was the main reason for the depopulation.
Whitehall wanted to keep the area depressed so that its second
houses were cheap.

| 3) 'my lover' - surely a South Devon term, not a Cornish one?

Probably. "My love" was the form used, though "my dear" was
more common if I recall correctly.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 01-06-2005, 11:29 AM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Chris Bacon writes:

| Cornwall is greying. I wouldn't say it's to do with the demise of
| industry so much as the incoming of furriners with money who can
| pay the price for property - and displace "natives". I shouldn't
| think that there will be noticable dialect anywhere in - say -
| 30 years (unless it's from Brimingham or Lunnon).

It's already gone. A dialect isn't the same as an accent. When
I was last in West Cornwall regularly (c. 1970), there was
effectively no trace of the dialect still spoken there in 1950.
Television had killed it.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 01-06-2005, 04:28 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Charlie Pridham" contains these words:

It may be that the tenant is responsible for all repairs and maintenance of
gates and fences and doesn't want to find out that they have to fix it! The
Original posters solicitor should have established who owned which
boundaries.
A weak point in our system which I think needs correcting, is that the buyer
frequently views the property but does not see a copy of the deeds and their
solicitor sees the deeds but not the property, a state of affairs which
resulted in some friends discovering that they did not own their back
garden!

Hum. I found the place I'm in now with only a day and a half before the
offers were opened, but I made a sensible offer and because there was no
chain involved, and no mortgage to obtain, I got it - despite not being
the highest bidder.

I didn't have a chance to see the deeds and the first my solicitor knew
about it was when I told him I'd made the offer.

Subsequently, I have found theat the vendor's agent gave me all the
information he should have done, and I haven't regretted my precipitate
action.

Old 01-06-2005, 04:30 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message . 150
from Victoria Clare contains these words:
Chris Bacon wrote in :

Erm, theyz 'edges, moy loverr, not banks.

1) Some of the banks have hazel hedges on top: some are bald and grassy:
bank is a good word for distinguishing the two.

2) This area was practically depopulated after the failure of mining and
decline of the market gardening industry.

The proximity of a major railway line, a port, a tourist area and 2 main
roads means that the vast majority of the population has lived here for
less than a generation, and the linguistic pool is a bit contaminated to
say the least. None of my neighbours have been here longer than 13 years.

Attempts at local dialect sound a bit daft in such an environment.

3) 'my lover' - surely a South Devon term, not a Cornish one?

He's probably a Grockle innit.

Old 01-06-2005, 04:32 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from Chris Bacon contains these words:

Sure do, more indeed to those who still speak with an accent. North
Cornwall is possibly the last bastion, and few under 30 years old
there...

'Ere! Who are you calling a bastion? I'll have you know that some of my
family hails from Launceston!

Old 01-06-2005, 05:57 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Jaques d'Alltrades wrote:
The message . 150
from Victoria Clare contains these words:

3) 'my lover' - surely a South Devon term, not a Cornish one?

He's probably a Grockle innit.

That's emmet. Foreigners call them grockles.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 01-06-2005, 07:42 PM
Mike Lyle

Nick Maclaren wrote:
In article . 150,
Victoria Clare writes:

[...]
3) 'my lover' - surely a South Devon term, not a Cornish one?

Probably. "My love" was the form used, though "my dear" was
more common if I recall correctly.

I wish I could remember clearly, but I can't actually place "My
lover" with any precision -- you could even convince me it was Wilts;
but the expression in East Devon, just south of the Moor, was
certainly "Mah dearr". As England goes, Devon's a big place.

--
Mike.

metapost or groundmaster fence post support? Carolyn Jean Fairman Gardening 2 11-10-2005 11:07 AM
Responsible pet ownership (was nancy' pet) Jade Blackbourne Australia 2 03-09-2003 11:02 AM
Deer fence kayk Gardening 17 31-03-2003 11:08 PM
Garden fence help Kathy Gardening 1 31-01-2003 05:44 AM
Flower Boxes on Fence Warren Gardening 7 28-01-2003 04:13 PM