Old 22-06-2005, 05:07 PM
Kay

In article , Chris Bacon
writes
Kay wrote:
We're installing a wood stove this summer, which means we want to line
the chimney first.

But I notice we have a bees nest in the chimney. Is putting a liner in
likely to disturb them?

They are going in through a tiny hole next to the mortar in the top
course of stones, about 6 inches below the chimney pots. It seems to be
one arriving or leaving every minute or so, so it doesn't seem like a
large colony. They look to be bumble bee type things, round and fluffy,
with white bums, and rather small for a bumble bee. Any thoughts?

It will certainly disturb them if they're inside the chimney. There's
a vague possibility that they are just in a cavity in the brickwork,
if it's old and not maintained. One every minute or so does mean
it's a small colony - it may increase as the season goes on. Your
best bet is unfortunately to destroy it, unless you can wait 'till
later in the year after the frosts come.

Stonework not brickwork - therefore definitely old though repointed
about 15 years ago.

They're not honey bees - how big a colony do bumble bee type things
form?

--
Kay

Old 22-06-2005, 05:07 PM
Kay

In article , Chris Bacon
writes
June Hughes wrote:
June Hughes writes
A local beekeeper would generally be very happy to give advice.

Probably, but actually removing "nests" of bees from perilous
places is likely to be a privilege that's declined! Nice swarms
conveniently positioned at low levels will quite possibly be
gladly taken.

It's not a swarm and they're not honey bees, and since they're in the
stonework or the chimney, removal as a 'swarm' isn't an option. It's
really advice I need on whether they'll be within the depth of the
stonework, and, if so, is poking a liner down the chimney something that
can be done without upsetting them?

--
Kay

Old 22-06-2005, 06:10 PM
Chris Bacon

Kay wrote:
Chris Bacon writes
June Hughes wrote:
June Hughes writes
A local beekeeper would generally be very happy to give advice.

Probably, but actually removing "nests" of bees from perilous
places is likely to be a privilege that's declined! Nice swarms
conveniently positioned at low levels will quite possibly be
gladly taken.

It's not a swarm and they're not honey bees,

I *did* read what you said in your OP... the bit about
swarms was free additional information resulting from
June Hughs' contribution WRT local beekeepers happy to
give advice (I had a number of stocks some time ago, &
hope to have some again). Most beekeepers will actually
talk to you, but due to the amount of work/time in "the
season" probably won't be interested in bumble bees, or
wasps, etc. See above.

and since they're in the
stonework or the chimney, removal as a 'swarm' isn't an option. It's
really advice I need on whether they'll be within the depth of the
stonework, and, if so, is poking a liner down the chimney something that
can be done without upsetting them?

Several things:

If it's stonework, there may be a cavity big enough for
bumble bees to nest in, it depends on the bee really.
They only need a fist-sized hole in some cases.

Bumble bees don't hoard honey in wax combs like honey bees,
they don't have the same lifestyle, so it's rather unlikely
that there will be any problem from firing up a "woodstove"
(woodburner? Multi-fuel stove?).

You mention "poking a liner down". What sort? AFAIK the
corrugated flexible stainless steel liners are unsuitable
for solid fuel. Worth checking with your supplier or
"stove shop" or council Building Control Officer (last
resort IMO).

If someone's up there they will probably be considered
fair game by the bees. There may be up to 200 or so,
give or take.

You could try lighting something smoky under the chimney
and seeing what happens to the smoke (e.g. does it come
out of the stack where it shouldn't). You can get "smoke
pellets", but they aren't all *that* smoky IMO.

Your best bet is probably to do them in, somehow. Shame,
but probably most practical.
Old 22-06-2005, 06:24 PM
Chris Bacon

Kay wrote:
Chris Bacon writes
June Hughes wrote:
Chris Bacon writes
June Hughes wrote:
Chris Bacon writes:
What is "G2"?
Guardian 2. (the extra paper in the Guardian).
Ugh, no wonder I haden't herd of this obscure publichation.

Each to his own. This discussion is about bees. I do not intend to
get into an argument about who reads what.

My reply was supposed to be humerous, and not provoke a display
of slow-witted snottiness. No argument *there*.

Sometimes smilies really do help ;-)

I took you literally too.

Um. Despite the spleeing (haden't, herd, publichation)?

Some people do have strong views about newspapers and will
dismiss readers of another newspaper out of hand - I hadn't
picked this tendency up in your posts, so was quite surprised to
read your response to June.

People's reading of things into things does vary.... people's
I in turn was surprised to see an immediate response to my
recent posting in uk.food+drink.misc ("Bread"), in:

Which is really pettish, and has not helped JH's image at all.

Ne'r mind.
Old 22-06-2005, 06:27 PM
Kay

In article , Chris Bacon
writes

If it's stonework, there may be a cavity big enough for
bumble bees to nest in, it depends on the bee really.
They only need a fist-sized hole in some cases.

That's bigger than I was thinking - I was thinking fist size as a max.
Thanks

Bumble bees don't hoard honey in wax combs like honey bees,
they don't have the same lifestyle, so it's rather unlikely
that there will be any problem from firing up a "woodstove"
(woodburner? Multi-fuel stove?).

Multifuel

You mention "poking a liner down". What sort? AFAIK the
corrugated flexible stainless steel liners are unsuitable
for solid fuel. Worth checking with your supplier or
"stove shop" or council Building Control Officer (last
resort IMO).

We will be. We'll be getting the 'stove shop' to do the entire
installation.

If someone's up there they will probably be considered
fair game by the bees. There may be up to 200 or so,
give or take.

You could try lighting something smoky under the chimney
and seeing what happens to the smoke (e.g. does it come
out of the stack where it shouldn't). You can get "smoke
pellets", but they aren't all *that* smoky IMO.

There's going to be a liner come what may. It's impossible to tell
whether *all* the smoke you released at the bottom came out of the top,
and I am not trusting the fabric of this house

Your best bet is probably to do them in, somehow. Shame,
but probably most practical.

No, I'd prefer to delay the installation.

--
Kay

Old 22-06-2005, 06:39 PM
Kay

In article , Chris Bacon
writes
Kay wrote:
Chris Bacon writes
June Hughes wrote:
Chris Bacon writes
June Hughes wrote:
Chris Bacon writes:
What is "G2"?
Guardian 2. (the extra paper in the Guardian).
Ugh, no wonder I haden't herd of this obscure publichation.

Each to his own. This discussion is about bees. I do not intend to
get into an argument about who reads what.

My reply was supposed to be humerous, and not provoke a display
of slow-witted snottiness. No argument *there*.

Sometimes smilies really do help ;-)

I took you literally too.

Um. Despite the spleeing (haden't, herd, publichation)?

Not to mention humerous ;-)

Am I right in my memory that humerus is posh for funny-bone?

--
Kay

Old 22-06-2005, 06:45 PM
Chris Bacon

Kay wrote:
Chris Bacon writes
Your best bet is probably to do them in, somehow. Shame,
but probably most practical.

No, I'd prefer to delay the installation.

Great! As in my earlier post, when the frosts come will be OK,
they just may buzz off earlier. FWIW you may have got white-
tailed bumblebees (Bombus lucorum) - a look on Google images
will show you.
Old 22-06-2005, 06:49 PM
Chris Bacon

Kay wrote:
Chris Bacon writes
Um. Despite the spleeing (haden't, herd, publichation)?

Not to mention humerous ;-)

Oh, *bmu*! (possibly miss-splet). It's computers, it's them
what do it to you.

Am I right in my memory that humerus is posh for funny-bone?

IIR my biology, yes.
Old 22-06-2005, 07:07 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from Kay contains these words:

Stonework not brickwork - therefore definitely old though repointed
about 15 years ago.

They're not honey bees - how big a colony do bumble bee type things
form?

Some of them can make quite a large nest, but I don't think the cells
are a wax comb. Certainly the ones I've disturbed (accidentally) in the
past have been rather more like loose birds' nests.

I'd google for masonry bees and see if they match, and then find the
answers to your other questions.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old 22-06-2005, 07:10 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from Kay contains these words:

Stonework not brickwork! Bigger lumps, and bigger opportunities for
cavities

So all I need to do now is convince the builders that they'll not be in
danger? ;-)

They've got to get to the chimney top to feed the liner down. Even
bumble bees and similar can get their wild-up.

However, if the nest isn't in the lumen of the chimney, they *SHOULDN'T*
have any problems.

Old 22-06-2005, 07:28 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from Chris Bacon contains these words:

I *did* read what you said in your OP... the bit about
swarms was free additional information resulting from
June Hughs' contribution WRT local beekeepers happy to
give advice (I had a number of stocks some time ago, &
hope to have some again). Most beekeepers will actually
talk to you, but due to the amount of work/time in "the
season" probably won't be interested in bumble bees, or
wasps, etc. See above.

We've got a hornets' nest somewhere near. I hope the neighbours are as
pleased about it as I am. They can hardly fail to notice honey-coloured
stripeythings with an engine sound like a Merlin with a sore throat -
I've been buzzed - well, more deep hummed - by one while I was up a
ladder, and had them flying about on a nearly daily basis.

Last night there was some largish insect flying against my bedroom
window, when suddenly *THONK!* a hornet grabbed it and collided with the
glass, then droned off with its dinner.

/snip/

You mention "poking a liner down". What sort? AFAIK the
corrugated flexible stainless steel liners are unsuitable
for solid fuel. Worth checking with your supplier or
"stove shop" or council Building Control Officer (last
resort IMO).

I was informed that SS liners were fine. Aluminiumiumiumium ones are to
be avoided though! Mine is merely discoloured, and it took some stick
over the winter - well, quite a lot of sticks.

If someone's up there they will probably be considered
fair game by the bees. There may be up to 200 or so,
give or take.

Not if they're in a hole in the masonry. Actually, it takes a lot to
provoke bumble bees into stinging. When I was four I believed they
couldn't sting, and i used to catch them in my cupped hands, then open
them and let them climb over them, and let them fly away. I was never
stung, but desisted when my mother corrected my misapprehension.

If one gets into the house, I'll still catch them in my bare hands and
put them outside.

You could try lighting something smoky under the chimney
and seeing what happens to the smoke (e.g. does it come
out of the stack where it shouldn't). You can get "smoke
pellets", but they aren't all *that* smoky IMO.

And what happens to the bees, of course.

Your best bet is probably to do them in, somehow. Shame,
but probably most practical.

You could block the hole in the mortar with something like plasticene
the evening before work is to begin. If they don't emerge from the
chimneypot in the morning, that should fix the problem, and any worries
about the unlikely possibility of igniting the nest.

Old 22-06-2005, 07:31 PM
June Hughes

In message , Chris Bacon
writes
Kay wrote:
Chris Bacon writes
June Hughes wrote:
June Hughes writes
A local beekeeper would generally be very happy to give advice.

Probably, but actually removing "nests" of bees from perilous
places is likely to be a privilege that's declined! Nice swarms
conveniently positioned at low levels will quite possibly be
gladly taken.

It's not a swarm and they're not honey bees,

I *did* read what you said in your OP... the bit about
swarms was free additional information resulting from
June Hughs' contribution WRT local beekeepers happy to
give advice (I had a number of stocks some time ago, &
hope to have some again). Most beekeepers will actually
talk to you, but due to the amount of work/time in "the
season" probably won't be interested in bumble bees, or
wasps, etc. See above.

The beekeepers I have met have always been very friendly and helpful.
Perhaps I have just been lucky.
--
June Hughes

Old 22-06-2005, 07:51 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from Kay contains these words:

Not to mention humerous ;-)

Am I right in my memory that humerus is posh for funny-bone?

Yup. The thing in the upper arm wot keeps yer foreman from flapping about.

Old 22-06-2005, 08:34 PM
June Hughes

In message , Chris Bacon
writes
Kay wrote:

Some people do have strong views about newspapers and will
dismiss readers of another newspaper out of hand - I hadn't
picked this tendency up in your posts, so was quite surprised to
read your response to June.

People's reading of things into things does vary.... people's
I in turn was surprised to see an immediate response to my
recent posting in uk.food+drink.misc ("Bread"), in:

Which is really pettish, and has not helped JH's image at all.

Ne'r mind.

Well, I don't really care about 'image'. I don't care what people think
of me unless I hurt someone's feelings. However, I do think my remark
to you in that thread was a bit under the belt and I apologise. Before
anyone steps in with anything to the contrary, my apology is to you
personally and not to any group.
--
June Hughes