Old 22-06-2005, 09:34 AM
Kay

Default bees in the chimney

We're installing a wood stove this summer, which means we want to line
the chimney first.

But I notice we have a bees nest in the chimney. Is putting a liner in
likely to disturb them?

They are going in through a tiny hole next to the mortar in the top
course of stones, about 6 inches below the chimney pots. It seems to be
one arriving or leaving every minute or so, so it doesn't seem like a
large colony. They look to be bumble bee type things, round and fluffy,
with white bums, and rather small for a bumble bee. Any thoughts?
--
Kay

Old 22-06-2005, 11:15 AM
June Hughes

In message , Kay
writes
We're installing a wood stove this summer, which means we want to line
the chimney first.

But I notice we have a bees nest in the chimney. Is putting a liner in
likely to disturb them?

They are going in through a tiny hole next to the mortar in the top
course of stones, about 6 inches below the chimney pots. It seems to be
one arriving or leaving every minute or so, so it doesn't seem like a
large colony. They look to be bumble bee type things, round and fluffy,
with white bums, and rather small for a bumble bee. Any thoughts?

A local beekeeper would generally be very happy to give advice. If you
wish to take that route, the beekeepers' association would be able to
tell you of someone living close by. The beekeepers I have come across
are generally not only interested in honey bees but bees in general. I
am unsure of Mary Fisher's virtual whereabouts these days but if she is
reading this, I am sure she will agree and be able to advise.
--
June Hughes
Old 22-06-2005, 11:21 AM
Chris Bacon

Kay wrote:
We're installing a wood stove this summer, which means we want to line
the chimney first.

But I notice we have a bees nest in the chimney. Is putting a liner in
likely to disturb them?

They are going in through a tiny hole next to the mortar in the top
course of stones, about 6 inches below the chimney pots. It seems to be
one arriving or leaving every minute or so, so it doesn't seem like a
large colony. They look to be bumble bee type things, round and fluffy,
with white bums, and rather small for a bumble bee. Any thoughts?

It will certainly disturb them if they're inside the chimney. There's
a vague possibility that they are just in a cavity in the brickwork,
if it's old and not maintained. One every minute or so does mean
it's a small colony - it may increase as the season goes on. Your
best bet is unfortunately to destroy it, unless you can wait 'till
later in the year after the frosts come.
Old 22-06-2005, 11:55 AM
June Hughes

In message , June Hughes
writes
In message , Kay
writes
But I notice we have a bees nest in the chimney. Is putting a liner in
likely to disturb them?

A local beekeeper would generally be very happy to give advice. If you
wish to take that route, the beekeepers' association would be able to
tell you of someone living close by. The beekeepers I have come across
are generally not only interested in honey bees but bees in general. I
am unsure of Mary Fisher's virtual whereabouts these days but if she is
reading this, I am sure she will agree and be able to advise.

Sorry to follow my own post. By coincidence, today's G2 has an article
about beekeeping in it. It gives the BBKA website address as:

www.britishbeekeepers.com
--
June Hughes
Old 22-06-2005, 12:19 PM
Chris Bacon

June Hughes wrote:
June Hughes writes
A local beekeeper would generally be very happy to give advice.

Probably, but actually removing "nests" of bees from perilous
places is likely to be a privilege that's declined! Nice swarms
conveniently positioned at low levels will quite possibly be
gladly taken. IME doing a pantomime fairy act up a ladder in
kit in the hot sun with an audience is very thirst-inducing.

Sorry to follow my own post. By coincidence, today's G2 has an article
about beekeeping in it.

What is "G2"?

Old 22-06-2005, 12:35 PM
June Hughes

In message , Chris Bacon
writes
June Hughes wrote:
June Hughes writes
A local beekeeper would generally be very happy to give advice.

Probably, but actually removing "nests" of bees from perilous
places is likely to be a privilege that's declined! Nice swarms
conveniently positioned at low levels will quite possibly be
gladly taken. IME doing a pantomime fairy act up a ladder in
kit in the hot sun with an audience is very thirst-inducing.

Sorry to follow my own post. By coincidence, today's G2 has an
article about beekeeping in it.

What is "G2"?

Guardian 2. (the extra paper in the Guardian).
--
June Hughes
Old 22-06-2005, 12:49 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from Kay contains these words:

We're installing a wood stove this summer, which means we want to line
the chimney first.

But I notice we have a bees nest in the chimney. Is putting a liner in
likely to disturb them?

Does the Pope wear a funny hat?

They are going in through a tiny hole next to the mortar in the top
course of stones, about 6 inches below the chimney pots. It seems to be
one arriving or leaving every minute or so, so it doesn't seem like a
large colony. They look to be bumble bee type things, round and fluffy,
with white bums, and rather small for a bumble bee. Any thoughts?

Mason bees perhaps?

If that's what they are, then putting a liner in might disturb them, but
shouldn't ruin their home.

I thought you were talking of a honey-bee nest actually in the flue. If
these are mason bees, they'll be in a cavity in the brickwork.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old 22-06-2005, 12:58 PM
Chris Bacon

June Hughes wrote:
Chris Bacon writes:
June Hughes wrote:
today's G2

What is "G2"?

Guardian 2. (the extra paper in the Guardian).

Ugh, no wonder I haden't herd of this obscure publichation.
Old 22-06-2005, 02:30 PM
June Hughes

In message , Chris Bacon
writes
June Hughes wrote:
Chris Bacon writes:
June Hughes wrote:
today's G2

What is "G2"?

Guardian 2. (the extra paper in the Guardian).

Ugh, no wonder I haden't herd of this obscure publichation.

Each to his own. This discussion is about bees. I do not intend to
get into an argument about who reads what.
--
June Hughes
Old 22-06-2005, 02:49 PM
Chris Bacon

June Hughes wrote:
Chris Bacon writes
June Hughes wrote:
Chris Bacon writes:
June Hughes wrote:
today's G2
What is "G2"?
Guardian 2. (the extra paper in the Guardian).

Ugh, no wonder I haden't herd of this obscure publichation.

Each to his own. This discussion is about bees. I do not intend to
get into an argument about who reads what.

My reply was supposed to be humerous, and not provoke a display
of slow-witted snottiness. No argument *there*.

Old 22-06-2005, 03:04 PM
Janet Baraclough

The message
from Kay contains these words:

We're installing a wood stove this summer, which means we want to line
the chimney first.

But I notice we have a bees nest in the chimney. Is putting a liner in
likely to disturb them?

The question I'd be asking is "could that bees nest ignite my house".

They are going in through a tiny hole next to the mortar in the top
course of stones, about 6 inches below the chimney pots.

If they are building wax comb for larvae (or honey), bear in mind
that it's both flammable and melts. So if it's accessible, you really
need to get it out before introducing the heat from a woodstove chimney.
Don't be misled by the milder chimney heat from open fires. The gases
and flue emissions from a closed woodstove are seriously hotter. If the
liner you're installing is not an insulated one, it will certainly get
hot enough to ignite anything flammable in contact with it.

Also, the small mortar hole the bees are using has given you notice
that the chimney stack may have other mortar-gaps you can't see, so it's
really important that the liner reaches right to the chimney stack top.
Otherwise you could have superheated gases (or running tars, worse)
escaping through tiny chimney gaps into the loftspace. Our neighbours'
woodstove set their roof on fire that way.

Janet.
Old 22-06-2005, 03:09 PM
June Hughes

In message , Chris Bacon
writes
June Hughes wrote:
Chris Bacon writes
June Hughes wrote:
Chris Bacon writes:
June Hughes wrote:
today's G2
What is "G2"?
Guardian 2. (the extra paper in the Guardian).

Ugh, no wonder I haden't herd of this obscure publichation.

Each to his own. This discussion is about bees. I do not intend to
get into an argument about who reads what.

My reply was supposed to be humerous, and not provoke a display
of slow-witted snottiness. No argument *there*.

Whatever you say.
--
June Hughes
Old 22-06-2005, 05:06 PM
Kay

In article , Janet Baraclough
writes
The message
from Kay contains these words:

We're installing a wood stove this summer, which means we want to line
the chimney first.

But I notice we have a bees nest in the chimney. Is putting a liner in
likely to disturb them?

The question I'd be asking is "could that bees nest ignite my house".

Between the liner and the chimney some 25 ft above the stove? If you say
so!

They are going in through a tiny hole next to the mortar in the top
course of stones, about 6 inches below the chimney pots.

If they are building wax comb for larvae (or honey), bear in mind
that it's both flammable and melts.

What *do* these bees do inside their holes?

I'm clearly going to have to scramble on to the roof and get a firm
identification.

So if it's accessible, you really
need to get it out before introducing the heat from a woodstove chimney.
Don't be misled by the milder chimney heat from open fires. The gases
and flue emissions from a closed woodstove are seriously hotter. If the
liner you're installing is not an insulated one, it will certainly get
hot enough to ignite anything flammable in contact with it.

Also, the small mortar hole the bees are using has given you notice
that the chimney stack may have other mortar-gaps you can't see, so it's
really important that the liner reaches right to the chimney stack top.

Don't worry, it will do! I don't trust anything in this house :-)

--
Kay

Old 22-06-2005, 05:07 PM
Kay

In article , Chris Bacon
writes
June Hughes wrote:
Chris Bacon writes
June Hughes wrote:
Chris Bacon writes:
June Hughes wrote:
today's G2
What is "G2"?
Guardian 2. (the extra paper in the Guardian).

Ugh, no wonder I haden't herd of this obscure publichation.

Each to his own. This discussion is about bees. I do not intend to
get into an argument about who reads what.

My reply was supposed to be humerous, and not provoke a display
of slow-witted snottiness. No argument *there*.

Sometimes smilies really do help ;-)

I took you literally too. Some people do have strong views about
newspapers and will dismiss readers of another newspaper out of hand - I
hadn't picked this tendency up in your posts, so was quite surprised to
read your response to June.
--
Kay

Old 22-06-2005, 05:07 PM
Kay

In article , Jaques
d'Alltrades writes

They are going in through a tiny hole next to the mortar in the top
course of stones, about 6 inches below the chimney pots. It seems to be
one arriving or leaving every minute or so, so it doesn't seem like a
large colony. They look to be bumble bee type things, round and fluffy,
with white bums, and rather small for a bumble bee. Any thoughts?

Mason bees perhaps?

If that's what they are, then putting a liner in might disturb them, but
shouldn't ruin their home.

Good :-)

I thought you were talking of a honey-bee nest actually in the flue. If
these are mason bees, they'll be in a cavity in the brickwork.

Stonework not brickwork! Bigger lumps, and bigger opportunities for
cavities

So all I need to do now is convince the builders that they'll not be in
danger? ;-)
--
Kay