Old 03-07-2005, 04:39 PM
Tumbleweed

Default The birds are welcome to them....

....somewhat ****ed off at the birds eating the cherries off my tree (and
finding the stones on top of my car!) went out and picked a few to ripen
indoors.
Then thought I'd try one of the very nearly ripe ones. Oh My God I
thought I was going to die. Sour doesn't even come close to describing it!
Beyond sour, into realms of disgusting, vile, horrendous all rolled into
one. The birds must have no taste buds whatsoever.

--
Tumbleweed

tumbleweednews at hotmail dot com

Old 03-07-2005, 05:28 PM
Miss Perspicacia Tick

Tumbleweed wrote:
...somewhat ****ed off at the birds eating the cherries off my tree
(and finding the stones on top of my car!) went out and picked a few
to ripen indoors.
Then thought I'd try one of the very nearly ripe ones. Oh My God
I thought I was going to die. Sour doesn't even come close to
describing it! Beyond sour, into realms of disgusting, vile,
horrendous all rolled into one. The birds must have no taste buds
whatsoever.

Are you sure it wasn't an ornamental cherry...?

Old 04-07-2005, 03:12 PM
pammyT

"Tumbleweed" wrote in message
...somewhat ****ed off at the birds eating the cherries off my tree (and
finding the stones on top of my car!) went out and picked a few to ripen
indoors.
Then thought I'd try one of the very nearly ripe ones. Oh My God I
thought I was going to die. Sour doesn't even come close to describing it!
Beyond sour, into realms of disgusting, vile, horrendous all rolled into
one. The birds must have no taste buds whatsoever.

I don't believe they do as they cannot taste red hot fiery chillis.
Perhaps your cherries might be good for jam making.

Old 04-07-2005, 05:40 PM
Tumbleweed

"pammyT" fenlandfowl @talktalk.net wrote in message

"Tumbleweed" wrote in message
...somewhat ****ed off at the birds eating the cherries off my tree (and
finding the stones on top of my car!) went out and picked a few to ripen
indoors.
Then thought I'd try one of the very nearly ripe ones. Oh My God I
thought I was going to die. Sour doesn't even come close to describing
it!
Beyond sour, into realms of disgusting, vile, horrendous all rolled into
one. The birds must have no taste buds whatsoever.

I don't believe they do as they cannot taste red hot fiery chillis.
Perhaps your cherries might be good for jam making.

For my worst enemy, possibly :-)

It wasnt just that they were sour, but hideously tasting.
Miss P, no idea if its an ornamental one (it was here when I moved in), but
it does seem to have the sort of leaves I'd normally associate with a fruit
tree and also the blossom doesnt usually stay around that long.

Old 04-07-2005, 06:32 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "pammyT" fenlandfowl @talktalk.net contains these words:

"Tumbleweed" wrote in message
...somewhat ****ed off at the birds eating the cherries off my tree (and
finding the stones on top of my car!) went out and picked a few to ripen
indoors.
Then thought I'd try one of the very nearly ripe ones. Oh My God I
thought I was going to die. Sour doesn't even come close to describing it!
Beyond sour, into realms of disgusting, vile, horrendous all rolled into
one. The birds must have no taste buds whatsoever.

I don't believe they do as they cannot taste red hot fiery chillis.
Perhaps your cherries might be good for jam making.

I've got a better idea...

Put cherries into a screwtop jar until it is one-third full.

Fill the space between the cherries with granulated sugar.

Top the jar up with Navy rum and leave it in a cool, dark place for at
least three months, giving it a bit of a shake from time to time.

Mmmmmm! And absolutely ace with morello cherries.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/

Old 04-07-2005, 06:45 PM
Mike

Top the jar up with Navy rum and leave it in a cool, dark place for at
least three months, giving it a bit of a shake from time to time.

:-((

What a shocking waste of Rum

:-((

Mike
Who 'dispensed' almost 3 bottles of Pusser's Rum at the International
Festival of the Sea :-)))))

Old 04-07-2005, 07:08 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Tumbleweed" contains these words:

I don't believe they do as they cannot taste red hot fiery chillis.
Perhaps your cherries might be good for jam making.

For my worst enemy, possibly :-)

It wasnt just that they were sour, but hideously tasting.
Miss P, no idea if its an ornamental one (it was here when I moved in), but
it does seem to have the sort of leaves I'd normally associate with a fruit
tree and also the blossom doesnt usually stay around that long.

Are they the normal size for cherries? (I remember when I was six or
seven, I used to pick geans on the way to school and on return. They
were quite a bit smaller than cultivated ones, and deliciously sharp...)

Old 04-07-2005, 09:16 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Mike" contains these words:

Top the jar up with Navy rum and leave it in a cool, dark place for at
least three months, giving it a bit of a shake from time to time.

:-((

What a shocking waste of Rum

:-((

I know what you mean, but it makes a really fine liqueur, much as I love
rum. BTW, if you're ever in Scotland, try to get some Trawler Rum - it's
the rummiest rum I've ever met.

Many years ago the reps called on the hotels on the Isle of Lewis as
usual. "24 cases of Trawler, please."

"Sorry, we can't get it just now, but we've got ..."

"Oh well, I'll take five cases of Lighthouse, then."

(I had this from one of the proprieters the following year.)

There were some people who made do with Lighthouse (a nice enough rum)
but many changed to whisky until the supplies of Trawler resumed, ans
most of the five cases of Lighthouse were still there.

I heard the story because I looked along the bar and asked where the
Trawler was - it was out of view, and only Lighthouse was on the
optics...

Old 04-07-2005, 10:22 PM
Tumbleweed

"Jaques d'Alltrades" wrote in message
k...
The message
from "Tumbleweed" contains these words:

I don't believe they do as they cannot taste red hot fiery chillis.
Perhaps your cherries might be good for jam making.

For my worst enemy, possibly :-)

It wasnt just that they were sour, but hideously tasting.
Miss P, no idea if its an ornamental one (it was here when I moved in),
but
it does seem to have the sort of leaves I'd normally associate with a
fruit
tree and also the blossom doesnt usually stay around that long.

Are they the normal size for cherries? (I remember when I was six or
seven, I used to pick geans on the way to school and on return. They
were quite a bit smaller than cultivated ones, and deliciously sharp...)

Yes, they are quite small. Significantly smaller than the ones I buy at the
supermarket

Old 04-07-2005, 11:02 PM
pammyT

[...]

ahh I bet they are what I call 'bird cherries'. Not a proper cultivated
cherry but a wild form. Grows like a flipping weed here and I hate the
things.Next door neighbours have one and she was well chuffed when she moved
in thinking she would have lots of cherries to eat lol. All it does is make
a mess of my aviary roof with the blossom.Still it looks a lot better now
that it has my clematis montana growing all over it. You can hardly see the
tree now :0)

Old 05-07-2005, 07:15 AM
Miss Perspicacia Tick

Tumbleweed wrote:
[...]

Ah, right, probably isn't then.

Sarah
(who's seriously thinking about reinstating her disclaimer as she'll have
people following her 'advice' before too long... ;o))

Old 05-07-2005, 08:31 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Tumbleweed" contains these words:

Are they the normal size for cherries? (I remember when I was six or
seven, I used to pick geans on the way to school and on return. They
were quite a bit smaller than cultivated ones, and deliciously sharp...)

Yes, they are quite small. Significantly smaller than the ones I buy at the
supermarket

Geans are not much bigger than (mature) peas.

Old 05-07-2005, 08:33 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "pammyT" fenlandfowl @talktalk.net contains these words:

ahh I bet they are what I call 'bird cherries'. Not a proper cultivated
cherry but a wild form. Grows like a flipping weed here and I hate the
things.Next door neighbours have one and she was well chuffed when she moved
in thinking she would have lots of cherries to eat lol. All it does is make
a mess of my aviary roof with the blossom.Still it looks a lot better now
that it has my clematis montana growing all over it. You can hardly see the
tree now :0)

Then, to mollify Mike and modify the recipe, use the cherries instead of
sloes and make gean gin. That's a really good drop.

Old 05-07-2005, 10:11 PM
Tumbleweed

"Jaques d'Alltrades" wrote in message
k...
The message
from "Tumbleweed" contains these words:

Are they the normal size for cherries? (I remember when I was six or
seven, I used to pick geans on the way to school and on return. They
were quite a bit smaller than cultivated ones, and deliciously
sharp...)

Yes, they are quite small. Significantly smaller than the ones I buy at
the
supermarket

Geans are not much bigger than (mature) peas.

That would be them.

....'geans' ???

however the word delicious can in no way be applied here :-)