Old 15-07-2005, 08:38 PM
lee.christopher

"Nick Maclaren" a écrit dans le message de news:
In article ,
Martin Brown wrote:

I have masses of both the common species, and compost both roots
and stems without drying them out. They have not caused any trouble
in 25 years.

How do you work that out. If you have masses of both they are a
continual problem. Though I have to admit that I quite like the pink
field bindweed that has never given me any problems on heavy clay, and I
let the white form grow in the wild hedges. I let bindweed dry in the
sun before composting - the same with ground elder and thistles.

Eh? Why should I have to work it out?

Neither have ever given me any problem IN THE COMPOST HEAP, but both
are a pain in the arse in the garden.

.............Good excuse for wandering round the garden after a hard day at
the office.

Regards

The same applies to ground
elder and thistles, which I also have (though few of the latter).
The requirement to dry them out before composting is based on an
old wife's tale, though doing so does no harm.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 16-07-2005, 07:50 AM
Geoff Lane

On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 20:23:15 +0100, Geoff Lane
wrote:

Is there any part of a bindweed that can be safely composted or can it
reproduce from any part of the plant?

Thanks for all the interesting replies.

I try to compost as much garden or kitchen waste as possible and my
council have just started a 'compost collection' service which has
been great for stuff like bramble and bindweed.

Whilst I don't intend to compost the bindweed I was concerned that if
any got chopped up by the mower and put in the heap I was going to end
up with a bindweed cultivation paradise.

Geoff Lane

Old 16-07-2005, 05:21 PM
Registered User

Location: Bawtry, Doncaster, South Yorkshire

I have to agree with Pam and Bob Flowerdew. When the roots have gone into my compost heat, which was on the dry side admitibly, they took hold.
For all my perennial roots I stick in a large tub of water. It does make for a smelly bucket - but can use the liquid as liquid feed - once diluted and come the autumn when it is all rotten the sluge gets put on the soil.

Regards
Cliff
Bawtry, Doncaster, South Yorkshire

Composting anything was Composting ivy Reid© United Kingdom 5 29-09-2003 09:02 PM
Bindweed and nettles Andy Sanson United Kingdom 26 03-08-2003 07:13 PM
Newbie: Bindweed Wars Dr. HackenSack United Kingdom 10 17-06-2003 07:56 AM
bindweed barrier Jane Gardening 3 08-06-2003 01:44 PM
Bindweed SIgnots Gardening 16 29-05-2003 04:44 PM