Old 13-07-2005, 08:23 PM
Geoff Lane

Default BindWeed Composting

Is there any part of a bindweed that can be safely composted or can it
reproduce from any part of the plant?

Geoff Lane

Old 13-07-2005, 09:04 PM
lee.christopher

Can't resist it: if you leave stuff like that to dry out in the sun before
composting there's no problem.

Regards from Paris or thereabouts

news: ...

Old 13-07-2005, 09:31 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
lee.christopher wrote:
Can't resist it: if you leave stuff like that to dry out in the sun before
composting there's no problem.

I have masses of both the common species, and compost both roots
and stems without drying them out. They have not caused any trouble
in 25 years.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 13-07-2005, 09:40 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from Geoff Lane contains these words:

Is there any part of a bindweed that can be safely composted or can it
reproduce from any part of the plant?

I bung it all on - roots and all.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old 13-07-2005, 09:41 PM
Kay

In article , Geoff Lane
writes
Is there any part of a bindweed that can be safely composted or can it
reproduce from any part of the plant?

It's only the roots you need worry about. And, I suppose, the seeds if
they are ripe. The rest can be composted with no problem.
--
Kay

Old 13-07-2005, 10:55 PM
Martin Brown

Nick Maclaren wrote:

In article ,
lee.christopher wrote:

Can't resist it: if you leave stuff like that to dry out in the sun before
composting there's no problem.

I have masses of both the common species, and compost both roots
and stems without drying them out. They have not caused any trouble
in 25 years.

How do you work that out. If you have masses of both they are a
continual problem. Though I have to admit that I quite like the pink
field bindweed that has never given me any problems on heavy clay, and I
let the white form grow in the wild hedges. I let bindweed dry in the
sun before composting - the same with ground elder and thistles.

Regards,
Martin Brown
Old 13-07-2005, 10:56 PM
Draven

"lee.christopher" wrote in message
Can't resist it: if you leave stuff like that to dry out in the sun
before composting there's no problem.

Regards from Paris or thereabouts

"Geoff Lane" a écrit dans le message
de news: ...
Is there any part of a bindweed that can be safely composted or can it
reproduce from any part of the plant?

Geoff Lane

Have you been in any past Hammer films? ;O)

Old 13-07-2005, 11:02 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Martin Brown wrote:

I have masses of both the common species, and compost both roots
and stems without drying them out. They have not caused any trouble
in 25 years.

How do you work that out. If you have masses of both they are a
continual problem. Though I have to admit that I quite like the pink
field bindweed that has never given me any problems on heavy clay, and I
let the white form grow in the wild hedges. I let bindweed dry in the
sun before composting - the same with ground elder and thistles.

Eh? Why should I have to work it out?

Neither have ever given me any problem IN THE COMPOST HEAP, but both
are a pain in the arse in the garden. The same applies to ground
elder and thistles, which I also have (though few of the latter).
The requirement to dry them out before composting is based on an
old wife's tale, though doing so does no harm.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 13-07-2005, 11:44 PM
Pam Moore

On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 20:23:15 +0100, Geoff Lane
wrote:

Is there any part of a bindweed that can be safely composted or can it
reproduce from any part of the plant?

Geoff Lane

Bob Flowerdew said he puts bindweed, dandelion roots etc in a tub or
water and lets them rot. I think he said the Romans used to do it!

Pam in Bristol
Old 14-07-2005, 09:17 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from Pam Moore contains these words:
wrote:

Is there any part of a bindweed that can be safely composted or can it
reproduce from any part of the plant?

Geoff Lane

Bob Flowerdew said he puts bindweed, dandelion roots etc in a tub or
water and lets them rot. I think he said the Romans used to do it!

The Romans used to do a lot of strange things, and one of them resulted
in the adage - "got hold of the wrong end of the stick..."

Old 14-07-2005, 03:30 PM
Janet Baraclough

The message
from Jaques d'Alltrades contains
these words:

The Romans used to do a lot of strange things, and one of them resulted
in the adage - "got hold of the wrong end of the stick..."

Go on. You have to tell, now.

Janet
Old 14-07-2005, 05:33 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from Janet Baraclough contains these words:
The message
from Jaques d'Alltrades contains
these words:

The Romans used to do a lot of strange things, and one of them resulted
in the adage - "got hold of the wrong end of the stick..."

Go on. You have to tell, now.

Even Bronco and Izal hadn't been invented, and the Romans used a small
sponge, wetted, on the end of a stick...

Old 15-07-2005, 03:26 PM
nambucca

"Geoff Lane" wrote in message
Is there any part of a bindweed that can be safely composted or can it
reproduce from any part of the plant?

Geoff Lane

I compost everything but never ever bindweed

Composting anything was Composting ivy Reid© United Kingdom 5 29-09-2003 09:02 PM
Bindweed and nettles Andy Sanson United Kingdom 26 03-08-2003 07:13 PM
Newbie: Bindweed Wars Dr. HackenSack United Kingdom 10 17-06-2003 07:56 AM
bindweed barrier Jane Gardening 3 08-06-2003 01:44 PM
Bindweed SIgnots Gardening 16 29-05-2003 04:44 PM