Old 08-06-2005, 10:24 PM
Galen Hekhuis

Default Poison ivy and ponds

I'm showing off some of the plants I put in at the edge of one of my ponds
and the person I was showing them off to pointed to another plant and said:
"Uh, isn't that poison ivy?" Now I'm not allergic to poison ivy or any
other stuff like that (I would have known, I planted some stuff right in
the middle of a poison ivy patch, there's no way I could have avoided it.)
so I've never really tried to watch out for it or even learn to identify it
too well. I Googled up a bunch of stuff on it and the pictures look like
it so I'm pretty sure that's what it is and even though it doesn't do
anything to me it still creeps me out. The past few weeks I've been
looking around for it and have found it only in three places.
Unfortunately they are at the edges of ponds and places that I have bush
hogged recently. I've bush hogged lots of other places where poison ivy
has not sprung up so I don't think the bush hog is infected or anything. I
do wonder if I am creating especially inviting places for poison ivy (and
if so, how to avoid doing it) by creating tree/pond/grassy interfaces.
What is the best way to get rid of what I have growing? I took a squirt
bottle of Round-up (tm) to it and then thought that Round-up might not be
the best thing. I'm not really opposed to the "Kill them all, let God sort
it out" theory of scorched earth weed killing, but there are a bunch of
neat little critters that live in those ponds and I'd really hate to screw
up their home. Short of digging out individual plants by the roots (I may
resort to that) is there any kind, gentle way to kill the evil weed?

Galen Hekhuis NpD, JFR, GWA
Illiterate? Write for FREE help
Old 08-06-2005, 11:06 PM
Koi4Me

said:
"Uh, isn't that poison ivy?" Now I'm not allergic to poison ivy or any
other stuff like that (I would have known, I planted some stuff right in
the middle of a poison ivy patch, there's no way I could have avoided it.)
so I've never really tried to watch out for it or even learn to identify

it
too well. I Googled up a bunch of stuff on it and the pictures look like
it so I'm pretty sure that's what it is and even though it doesn't do
anything to me it still creeps me out. The past few weeks I've been
looking around for it and have found it only in three places.
Unfortunately they are at the edges of ponds and places that I have bush
hogged recently.

## I have it growing wild besides my ponds as well. It's mixed in with the
English Ivy. :-(

I've bush hogged lots of other places where poison ivy
has not sprung up so I don't think the bush hog is infected or anything.

do wonder if I am creating especially inviting places for poison ivy (and
if so, how to avoid doing it) by creating tree/pond/grassy interfaces.
What is the best way to get rid of what I have growing?

## If you can dig out the roots you may get rid of it. It's a difficult
plant to kill off. Even weed killers leave it sick but not dead. We just
bought a different weed and brush killer for it. Round-Up just isn't doing
the job.

I took a squirt
bottle of Round-up (tm) to it and then thought that Round-up might not be
the best thing. I'm not really opposed to the "Kill them all, let God

sort
it out" theory of scorched earth weed killing, but there are a bunch of
neat little critters that live in those ponds and I'd really hate to screw
up their home. Short of digging out individual plants by the roots (I may

resort to that) is there any kind, gentle way to kill the evil weed?

## You just said it.... grub the stuff out if you can.
--
McKoi.... the frugal ponder...
Do not feed the trolls.

Old 09-06-2005, 01:26 AM
RichToyBox

The following site says that roundup can be used to control the poison ivy.
http://www.conservation.state.mo.us/...e/flora/poivy/ The
botanist for the National Botanical Gardens in Washington DC said at a pond
meeting several years ago, that Roundup can be used to control weeds in
natural ponds without affecting the fish and other animals. It is
apparently neutralized on contact with water. I would, personally, limit
the amount of roundup going into the pond, but not be too worried about
minimal overspray. Some insecticides are very toxic, even in small
quantities.
--
RichToyBox

Old 09-06-2005, 03:54 AM
mos

I wasn't allergic to it either, until about 2 years ago.....and then it
brushed against my arm as I pulled it out with gloved hands. I had it
over my entire upper body by the time it was done with me. It took two
courses of steroids and lost time working in a neonatal ICU because it
was just a mess...so I have a healthy respect for it. It might not
bother you this year...but it might be havoc for a visitor. Now I get
the brush killer stuff right up close to it, with a paper plate cut, so
it forms a collar and I just spray that plant. Then after it is dead,
I use a plastic bag, grab it from the inside out and tie it up. Works
like a charm. It comes up right by my pond also. I'd get rid of
it....like I said, never was allergic, even walked through it....but
then one fine day, years later........"Leaves of three...let it be"
Maureen

Old 09-06-2005, 04:36 AM
George

"RichToyBox" wrote in message
The following site says that roundup can be used to control the poison
ivy. http://www.conservation.state.mo.us/...e/flora/poivy/
The botanist for the National Botanical Gardens in Washington DC said at
a pond meeting several years ago, that Roundup can be used to control
weeds in natural ponds without affecting the fish and other animals. It
is apparently neutralized on contact with water. I would, personally,
limit the amount of roundup going into the pond, but not be too worried
about minimal overspray. Some insecticides are very toxic, even in small
quantities.
--
RichToyBox

Hmmm. We are talking about plants here, aren't we? Roundup is an
herbicide, not an insecticide. Just thought I would clarify that point.

Old 09-06-2005, 04:50 AM
Koi4Me

" George" wrote in message
Hmmm. We are talking about plants here, aren't we? Roundup is an
herbicide, not an insecticide. Just thought I would clarify that point.

==================
And it's very difficult to kill poison ivy with Round-Up. It simply turns
it yellow, some leaves may fall but it's back in no time. Getting the root
to die is no easy task. Someone recommended we try Spectracide's
TripleStrike on it... we just picked some up the other day.
--
McKoi.... the frugal ponder...
Do not feed the trolls.

Old 09-06-2005, 05:18 AM
how

"RichToyBox" wrote in message
snip
The botanist for the National Botanical Gardens in Washington DC said at
a pond meeting several years ago, that Roundup can be used to control
weeds in natural ponds without affecting the fish and other animals. It
is apparently neutralized on contact with water. I would, personally,
limit the amount of roundup going into the pond, snip

Hi,
What this poster is recommending is illegal. While Roundup may be effective
on poison ivy it is dangerous and as stated above illegal to use on water,
period. When all else fails RTFL. I googled "roundup + water" sans quotes,
and chose these links from 800,000.

http://www.pitt.edu/~relyea/Roundup.html "bad for amphibians"

read Relyea's report
http://www.mindfully.org/Pesticide/2...lyea1apr05.htm

quoted from http://darwin.bio.uci.edu/~sustain/g.../burry298.html
begin quote "Aquatic Midge larvae are killed in 55 PPM of glyphosate
50% of test populations of a predatory mite was killed by exposure to
Roundup
The endangered longhorn beetle is susceptible to low levels of glyphosate
As little as 10 PPM has been shown to kill 50% of test populations of fish"
end quote
HTH -_- how
no NEWS is good

Old 09-06-2005, 05:42 AM
Koi4Me

"how" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

===========================
Thanks for this information. I suspected it could be dangerous around ponds
and that's why I hesitated to use it on the poison ivy around the pond's
berm. I just looked at the label on Round-Up and all it says is not to
spray it directly on water - no mention of danger to fish or other critters.
--
McKoi.... the frugal ponder...
Do not feed the trolls.

Old 09-06-2005, 01:30 PM
Stephen Henning

Courageous wrote:

I wasn't allergic to it either, until about 2 years ago.....and then it
brushed against my arm as I pulled it out with gloved hands. I had it
over my entire upper body by the time it was done with me.

This isn't that unusual. Someone, largely immune to poison ivy or poison
oak, can swing about one day and have a very bad reaction.

For most people, the allergy to poison ivy is acquired. People are
seldom ever allergic on first contact. However, when it does hit, it
can be devastating. Once, one becomes allergic, they stay allergic.

--
Pardon my spam deterrent; send email to
http://home.earthlink.net/~rhodyman
Old 09-06-2005, 01:47 PM
Stephen Henning

"RichToyBox" wrote:

The following site says that roundup can be used to control the poison ivy.
http://www.conservation.state.mo.us/...e/flora/poivy/

Roundup does work on poison ivy. I have been using it for many years.
You need to use a strong mixture and add a spreader/sticker and may need
to reapply. Roundup works best on mature plants that are sending sap to
the roots, since it works by killing the roots. On very tall vines of
poison ivy, cut the ivy off about chest high and spray the lower part.
Poison ivy spreads by the rhizomatous roots and the seeds which birds
spread in their guano.

The botanist for the National Botanical Gardens in Washington DC said at a
meeting several years ago, that Roundup can be used to control weeds in
natural ponds without affecting the fish and other animals. It is
apparently neutralized on contact with water.

It is not neutralized on contact with water since it is an aqueous
solution. It is neutralized with water which contains clay particles.
It is the clay that neutralizes it. It is best to apply with a brush or
a cotton glove over a plastic glove so there is not over-spray that gets
into the pond or hits plants you don't want to kill.
--
Pardon my spam deterrent; send email to
18,000 gallon (17'x 47'x 2-4') lily pond garden in Zone 6

Old 09-06-2005, 02:08 PM
~Roy~

I do not think Round Up is approved for use in and around any ponds
or waters........The companion product Rodeo is supposedly recomended
for use in and around water. Rodeo is used to kill aquatic weeds etc,
and it states how to use it "in" and around ponds etc, but then in its
cautions it says to keep it from getting into thr water.........go
figure. I always use a surfficant with any products I spray as it
makes for all the differences in the world in the plants ability to
hold thre treatment on its vegetation and not run off. Less wasted
product with a surfficant. I take a mop, saturate it, wring it out to
the point its not dripping, and just swab whatever I want killed. Been
doing it like that for years now in and around my pond without any
problems. I even managed to eliminate a lot of water clover and
parrots feather and cat tails this way...........

I don't think Roundup or Rodeo releases any problematic stuff once its
taken in by the plant, so what would have to be neutralized? These two
chemicals kill by going to the root system.......

Old 09-06-2005, 04:10 PM
George

"Koi4Me" invalid@invalid wrote in message

" George" wrote in message
Hmmm. We are talking about plants here, aren't we? Roundup is an
herbicide, not an insecticide. Just thought I would clarify that point.

==================
And it's very difficult to kill poison ivy with Round-Up. It simply
turns
it yellow, some leaves may fall but it's back in no time. Getting the
root
to die is no easy task. Someone recommended we try Spectracide's
TripleStrike on it... we just picked some up the other day.
--
McKoi.... the frugal ponder...
Do not feed the trolls.
~~~ }((((o ~~~ }{{{{o ~~~ }(((((o

I'm so allergic to it that I begin iching just having this conversation.
My method? Nuke the entire area and ask questions later.

Old 09-06-2005, 04:19 PM
Koi-minator

"Stephen Henning" wrote in message
news
"RichToyBox" wrote:

The following site says that roundup can be used to control the poison

ivy.
http://www.conservation.state.mo.us/...e/flora/poivy/

Roundup does work on poison ivy. I have been using it for many years.
You need to use a strong mixture and add a spreader/sticker and may need
to reapply. Roundup works best on mature plants that are sending sap to
the roots, since it works by killing the roots. On very tall vines of
poison ivy, cut the ivy off about chest high and spray the lower part.
Poison ivy spreads by the rhizomatous roots and the seeds which birds
spread in their guano.

## And that's how we believe it keeps showing up on our property. :-( We
used RoundUp at 6 oz. per gallon and had about a 50% killrate for poison ivy
in the past. I held cardboard behind it to avoid it going into the ponds
and sprayed what's tangled in the net and net's support 3 weeks ago. It
turned yellow and kept right on growing. Is it possible plants can develop
immunity to weed killers like bacteria develop immunity to antibiotics?

The botanist for the National Botanical Gardens in Washington DC said at

meeting several years ago, that Roundup can be used to control weeds in
natural ponds without affecting the fish and other animals. It is
apparently neutralized on contact with water.

It is not neutralized on contact with water since it is an aqueous
solution. It is neutralized with water which contains clay particles.
It is the clay that neutralizes it. It is best to apply with a brush or
a cotton glove over a plastic glove so there is not over-spray that gets
into the pond or hits plants you don't want to kill.

## This way sounds much safer around our fish... thanks! :-)

Old 09-06-2005, 07:36 PM
Galen Hekhuis

On 8 Jun 2005 19:54:23 -0700, "mos" wrote:

I wasn't allergic to it either, until about 2 years ago.....and then it
brushed against my arm as I pulled it out with gloved hands. I had it
over my entire upper body by the time it was done with me. It took two
courses of steroids and lost time working in a neonatal ICU because it
was just a mess...so I have a healthy respect for it. It might not
bother you this year...but it might be havoc for a visitor. Now I get
the brush killer stuff right up close to it, with a paper plate cut, so
it forms a collar and I just spray that plant. Then after it is dead,
I use a plastic bag, grab it from the inside out and tie it up. Works
like a charm. It comes up right by my pond also. I'd get rid of
it....like I said, never was allergic, even walked through it....but
then one fine day, years later........"Leaves of three...let it be"
Maureen

A similar thing happened to my grandfather. He was leading his troops
(National Guard) and when they picked a place to camp, he said not to worry
about the poison ivy, he wasn't allergic and that he would pull it out. To
make a long story shorter, he found out then that he was no longer immune,
and even spent time in the infirmary to emphasize it. If it was only me,
I'd be content to just let it be, but I'm not the only one likely to come
in contact with it. Besides, there isn't a whole lot of it, only four
patches on the whole property, so I think I have a chance to "eradicate"
it. I know you can't really eradicate it, as it can easily be reseeded by
birds and stuff. We have fire ants here in the southeast too, and while
you can't really "eradicate" them, you can they can be kept to a minimum.
I sure don't want to do anything to encourage it, however.

Old 09-06-2005, 11:47 PM
Stephen Henning

"Koi-minator" invalid@invalid wrote:

Roundup does work on poison ivy. I have been using it for many years.
You need to use a strong mixture and add a spreader/sticker and may need
to reapply. Roundup works best on mature plants that are sending sap to
the roots, since it works by killing the roots. On very tall vines of
poison ivy, cut the ivy off about chest high and spray the lower part.
Poison ivy spreads by the rhizomatous roots and the seeds which birds
spread in their guano.

## And that's how we believe it keeps showing up on our property. :-( We
used RoundUp at 6 oz. per gallon and had about a 50% killrate for poison ivy
in the past.

I use Roundup at a rate of 4 oz per gallon and get 99% kill rate. I am
spraying new seedlings that have small roots. If you are spraying a
field with established rhizomes, then you will need to keep at it since
the rhizomes can extend many feet under ground. Unless you spray every
green leaf that comes out of the rhizome (which may extend over acres),
you won't effect a kill. If you cut a trench round the kill area about
a food deep, it will sever the rhizome around your kill area so you can
get a complete kill. If you plow a field of rhizomes, every piece will
form a new plant.

In large areas, mowing repeatedly may drain the rhizomes enough so that
spraying will be more effective or not even necessary.
--
Pardon my spam deterrent; send email to
Cheers, Steve Henning in Reading, PA USA Zone 6

Ivy, Ivy & more ivy Roger Tonkin[_2_] United Kingdom 6 08-07-2016 09:48 PM
Brambles and Poison Ivy RK77 Gardening 3 01-06-2009 12:01 AM
IVY IVY IVY JCYates United Kingdom 15 28-08-2008 11:22 AM
Killing and removing Poison Ivy. Danny Gardening 6 14-05-2006 09:51 PM
Poison Ivy -- Getting Rid of It Chip G. Gardening 21 17-05-2003 03:20 PM