Old 10-05-2003, 01:20 AM
Trish Brown

Default Animal grasscutter?

Cynthia wrote:

Does anyone know if there are any native animals which one can attract into
the graden which eat grass only - and not the other plants in the garden.

I'm looking for something which will keep the grass short and save me from
having to mow it myself :-)

If there is such a creature, would you know if it comes with it's own set of
problems and how to keep them under control?

Cynthia.

The only native grazing animal that I can think of would be a kangaroo
of some description. D'you *really* want a 'roo flolloping around your
back yard? The thing about grazers is that most of them have hard hooves
and most of them need to be able to roam over an extensive area. There's
little nutrition in grass and so *huge* amounts of it have to be eaten
daily. There would not be enough grass in a back yard to keep even a
small grazer alive for very long.

We-e-ll...

I s'pose you could think of a rabbit or guinea-pig, but I don't think
such an animal would eat at a quick enough rate to keep the lawn in
check... - and then there'd be the roaming cat danger... - and think of
All That Poo! - and the smell (of the animals *and* the poo)!

My sister has borrowed a friend's goat to 'mow' her grass from time to
time. After about a week of being tethered in the yard, the goat had
eaten some parts of the lawn down to bare earth and left others alone.
She managed to eat the foliage from the bottoms of four camellias,
effectively standardising them overnight. She had also eaten four and a
half pair of socks, two pair of knickers and a tennis ball! She jumped
the side fence and nearly hanged herself. Oh and she butted the milkman
and my youngest niece.

Mowing seems easier to me...
--
Trish {|:-}
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Old 10-05-2003, 04:20 AM
len brauer

g'day cynthia,

how much yard do you have?

i live in rural and the wallabies and hares visit my fruit tree areas,
i keep them out of the vegetable gardens as they would most likely eat
the cabbages and beans etc.,. they don't touch melons, pumpkins
cucumbers or tomatoes. but they do have a nibble of the sweet potatoes
at times but no prob's there.

i should imagine that they would create havoc in a normal small garden
scenerio, so guees you either put in more garden beds or get a mower,
you don't always need to have much lawn and gardens area easier to
care for.

len

snipped
--
happy gardening

http://hub.dataline.net.au/~gardnlen/
Old 10-05-2003, 05:44 AM
Andrew G

"Cynthia" wrote in message
u...
Does anyone know if there are any native animals which one can attract

into
the graden which eat grass only - and not the other plants in the garden.

I'm looking for something which will keep the grass short and save me from
having to mow it myself :-)

If there is such a creature, would you know if it comes with it's own set

of
problems and how to keep them under control?

The only ones I can think of would be wallabies. But the lawn has to get a
little long for them to want to eat it. I doubt they would eat the whole
lawn anyway (imagining "average sized lawn"), and if they did manage it,
then you would have to wait a while for it to get long again. Also they
would probably do a fair bit of damage.
I know Indian Hawthorn is plant of choice for them at work, along with what
we call "Kangaroo" food. Not sure of real name, but they love it. The also
indulge in eating other plants.
It would really be more hassle than what it's worth.
A goat would be good, but it too would do damage elsewhere.
Along the lines of what Len said.
Get a lawnmower or reduce the size of the lawn by putting in gardens.
But putting in more gardens could mean more edges, more possible fiddly
mowing.

Good luck

Cynthia.

Old 10-05-2003, 12:20 PM
rapdor@bigpond

My sister has borrowed a friend's goat to 'mow' her grass from time to
time. After about a week of being tethered in the yard, the goat had
eaten some parts of the lawn down to bare earth and left others alone.
She managed to eat the foliage from the bottoms of four camellias,
effectively standardising them overnight. She had also eaten four and a
half pair of socks, two pair of knickers and a tennis ball! She jumped
the side fence and nearly hanged herself. Oh and she butted the milkman
and my youngest niece.

Mowing seems easier to me...
--
Trish {|:-}
Newcastle, NSW, Australia

but not nearly as many laughs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 11-05-2003, 03:56 AM
David Hare-Scott

"Andrew G" wrote in message
"Cynthia" wrote in message
u...
Does anyone know if there are any native animals which one can

attract
into
the graden which eat grass only - and not the other plants in the

garden.

A goat would be good, but it too would do damage elsewhere.

A goat would not be good in any way at all.

I have lived with goats and the "cute" and "corny" stories about goats
eating just about anything (as another poster said including underpants)
are absolutely true!

Goats have substantially contributed to severe environmental degradation
in many parts of the world because they eat shrubs, herbs, vegetables
and grasses down to bare earth and kill trees by eating the lower
branches and bark.

The chances are a goat would eat everything you wanted to keep and leave
the grass alone just to be cantankerous and that is just the females -
billygoats you really don't want to know or go near at all.

David

Old 11-05-2003, 09:44 AM
Rusty Nayles.

Sat, 10 May 2003 Trish Brown wrote:

Cynthia wrote:

If there is such a creature, would you know if it comes with it's own set of
problems and how to keep them under control?

My sister has borrowed a friend's goat to 'mow' her grass from time to
time. After about a week of being tethered in the yard, the goat had
eaten some parts of the lawn down to bare earth and left others alone.
She managed to eat the foliage from the bottoms of four camellias,
effectively standardising them overnight. She had also eaten four and a
half pair of socks, two pair of knickers and a tennis ball! She jumped
the side fence and nearly hanged herself. Oh and she butted the milkman
and my youngest niece.

Loved the goat story.
To cater for a dog needing plenty of exercise a Billy Goat is a good
option. Anytime the dog ventures out of its kennel it will have to run
for its life to escape the Billy Goat.
Humans will need to learn how to run quick too. :-)

Mowing seems easier to me...

Me too.
If mowing the lawn is a real chore then local youngsters might like to
mow the lawns and earn pocket money.

A sheep is perhaps the only animal that comes close to doing what
Cynthia wanted and of course it is not a native and presents its own
set of problems. If the Local Council allows a sheep to be kept on
your property it will need to be checked by a veterinarian
periodically and sheared annually. It will have to be tethered
otherwise it will selectively eat some grass while ignoring other
grass. Tethering the sheep means you will constantly be needing to go
outside and untangle the animal.
--

Rusty.
Old 12-05-2003, 12:20 PM
China

To the best of my information your only hope is poultry, geese in
particular, and European geese at that.
Poultry eat a lot of greens between the bugs they eat.
It is my experience that only geese can be trained to prefer a particular
weed.
This type of training starts in the nursery, as, what they eat most of as
kids is what they seek out as adults.
Yes, I know, they make chooks look smart.
If the lawn is your problem, then feed the lawn grass to the young birds.
Of course you must remember that whichever poultry you may choose, ( and I
would go for the smallest Bantam Chook you can find), they will soon find
the closest door to the kitchen, and every morning you will have to clean up
their droppings.

China
Wingham
NSW

The Dr Hadwen Trust is the UK's leading medical research charity that funds and promotes exclusively non-animal research techniques to replace animal experiments Cerumen[_3_] United Kingdom 1 23-08-2007 04:57 PM
Animal grasscutter? Cynthia Australia 2 23-05-2003 06:20 AM
recording animal movement Jim Webster sci.agriculture 28 19-05-2003 01:57 AM
reverse (inverse) relationship of plant to animal rabbit manure Archimedes Plutonium Plant Science 5 26-04-2003 01:30 PM
OT - Animal tether Glenna Rose Edible Gardening 0 04-04-2003 11:32 AM