Old 17-10-2004, 11:41 AM
blank

Default My wife wants strawberries

My wife loves strawberries. So, I put a couple healthy looking plants in
hanging baskets, incorporating a healthy dose of Nutricote 140 day
13.0-5.7-10.8 in the potting mix, hung them in a spot that gets about 6
hours of hot afternoon sun, added them to an irrigation line that gets 15
minutes per morning of fine overhead spray and ..........
the flowers that were already forming produced strawberries, much to her
delight.

BUT, since then they have not produced any flowers. And as we all know, no
flowers for the good lady means no hanky panky. So, can anyone tell me how
to get the damn flowers going again?

Old 17-10-2004, 12:04 PM
andr0meda

I don't know much about strawberries, but I wouldn't expect two plants to
keep supply for the entire year.......
Andr0

Old 17-10-2004, 12:13 PM
blank

no, i suppose not but i thought i should try to learn how to grow them
before filling the whole porch with failures

Old 17-10-2004, 01:24 PM
Dwayne

Here in the U.S. we have June bearers and everbearers. The June bearers
bloom and produce for about 30 days, and everbearers will produce great
during the spring, slow down during the hot part of the year, and then go at
it again in the fall.

I would find a way to put in 30 plants. The first year they wont do as well
as the second and later years. I pick every other day and only get the
"really" ripe ones. If they have any green or white on them they aren't
ready. Then I get more than we can eat and I wash them and freeze them till
winter. Hanky panky all year that way.

Dwayne.

Old 17-10-2004, 02:00 PM
len gardener

g'day blank,

getting a bit late for strawb's now, i think you may find they've done
their season this season, so look forward to next season around the
july to september mark.

len

snipped
--
happy gardening

my e/mail addies have spam filters you should know what to delete before you send.

Old 17-10-2004, 08:09 PM
blank

ah, wrong time of year well that would explain it guess i will have
to go to the supermarket and buy some then thanks len

Old 17-10-2004, 10:00 PM
Bushy

You still wind up paying for it!
;)
Peter

Old 18-10-2004, 01:13 AM
Geodyne

On Sun, 17 Oct 2004 23:00:04 +1000, len gardener
wrote:

getting a bit late for strawb's now, i think you may find they've done
their season this season, so look forward to next season around the
july to september mark.

It may be getting a little how for them in your area perhaps Len, but
in my area mine (Sydney, self-sown in a 4-year old strawberry patch)
are just getting started. I'll have strawberries in about a month.

blank, are your strawberries putting out runners? Small, pup plants on
stems? Strawberries propagate two different ways - by setting fruit
and by putting out runners. They tend to prefer to propagate via
runners, so more runners will mean fewer or no flowers, and no
strawberries. Something you may like to look into.

Geodyne
Old 18-10-2004, 01:32 AM
Mogsy

"blank" wrote in message
My wife loves strawberries. So, I put a couple healthy looking plants in
hanging baskets, incorporating a healthy dose of Nutricote 140 day
13.0-5.7-10.8 in the potting mix, hung them in a spot that gets about 6
hours of hot afternoon sun, added them to an irrigation line that gets 15
minutes per morning of fine overhead spray and ..........
the flowers that were already forming produced strawberries, much to her
delight.

BUT, since then they have not produced any flowers. And as we all know,

no
flowers for the good lady means no hanky panky. So, can anyone tell me

how
to get the damn flowers going again?

you could hit them with a flower encourging fertiler such as bloom booster
or such which might give you some more flowers. this will promote flowers
rtather than general plant growth.

Old 21-10-2004, 12:48 PM
Chookie

In article ,
"blank" wrote:

My wife loves strawberries. So, I put a couple healthy looking plants in
hanging baskets, incorporating a healthy dose of Nutricote 140 day
13.0-5.7-10.8 in the potting mix, hung them in a spot that gets about 6
hours of hot afternoon sun, added them to an irrigation line that gets 15
minutes per morning of fine overhead spray and ..........
the flowers that were already forming produced strawberries, much to her
delight.

BUT, since then they have not produced any flowers. And as we all know, no
flowers for the good lady means no hanky panky. So, can anyone tell me how
to get the damn flowers going again?

IME strawberries will bear as long as they think it is spring, as opposed to
summer. Variable weather (as we've had in Sydney lately) extends the season.
I would be inclined to move them to where they get morning sun rather than
afternoon sun.

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

"Life is like a cigarette -- smoke it to the butt." -- Harvie Krumpet

Old 27-10-2004, 12:39 AM
John Savage

"blank" writes:
ah, wrong time of year well that would explain it guess i will have
to go to the supermarket and buy some then thanks len

I'm not so sure about this being the wrong time of year. My Mum has been
growing strawberries for over 20 years, and has them fruiting throughout
the Summer, near Brisbane. There is a secret formula she applies when
their fruiting vigour slumps half-way through the season, I'll try to
prise it out of her and post here.

The duration of fruiting probably is very dependent on the variety of
berry you have.

Old 27-10-2004, 07:04 AM
blank

"John Savage"
I'm not so sure about this being the wrong time of year. My Mum has been
growing strawberries for over 20 years, and has them fruiting throughout
the Summer, near Brisbane. There is a secret formula she applies when
their fruiting vigour slumps half-way through the season, I'll try to
prise it out of her and post here.

Yes please, what's the secret formula? I'm at Kingscliff, just south of the
Qld border.

Old 30-10-2004, 02:38 AM
John Savage

"blank" writes:
Yes please, what's the secret formula? I'm at Kingscliff, just south of the
Qld border.

To reinvigorate the flowering of strawberries, halfway through the season
she watered them over with a wateringcan containing urea solution. Do this
in the late afternoon and then water it in with the hose.

I didn't ask what concentration, so you might be guided by whatever
instructions are on the pack, or else search for something on the net.

Old 30-10-2004, 04:28 AM
blank

"John Savage" wrote in message
om...
"blank" writes:
Yes please, what's the secret formula? I'm at Kingscliff, just south of

the
Qld border.

To reinvigorate the flowering of strawberries, halfway through the season
she watered them over with a wateringcan containing urea solution. Do this
in the late afternoon and then water it in with the hose.

I didn't ask what concentration, so you might be guided by whatever
instructions are on the pack, or else search for something on the net.

thanks john will check into it

Old 01-11-2004, 10:00 AM
Chookie

In article ,
John Savage wrote:

To reinvigorate the flowering of strawberries, halfway through the season
she watered them over with a wateringcan containing urea solution. Do this
in the late afternoon and then water it in with the hose.

Well, my three-year-old is into Exhibition Weeing at the moment. Might get
him to point percy at the pots and see if we get more strawberries...