Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-05-2003, 07:32 PM
Nina Shishkoff

Default [IBC] Help :A monster in my maple

Hi
This is a crazy story

I'm beginning to expect that from you, Theo.

Your maple had a borer. Whatever you did was probably illegal, and
probably did no good, since by the time you see the sawdust from a
borer, the damage is pretty much done. Poking into the hole with a
long metal wire will shishkabob the varmint: that's what I would do.

There is essentially nothing you can do to prevent borers: the
female insects lay the eggs without feeding, so insecticides won't
deter them. Systemic fungicides won't get into wood, only living
tree tissue, so they can control bark feeders, but not wood borers.
The only thing you can do is keep your trees healthy: borers are
attracted to the smell of distressed trees. Your trees, bought at a
supermarket nursery, are surely trees that have led a stressful life.

However, I have an important job for you: Put some kind of mesh
around that tree and catch whatever is coming out. I worry that it
might be the oriental longhorn beetle, which (here in the US) would
be emerging right now. You'll know it if you see it: It's a gigantic
black and white beetle with 3-inch long antennae. If you find any,
contact the authorities as quickly as possible.
--
Nina Shishkoff

Frederick, MD

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ: