Old 29-10-2003, 08:42 PM
dalecochoy

Default [IBC] Dormancy for Kingswood Yardsai

Old 29-10-2003, 09:42 PM
Craig Cowing

Nina Shishkoff wrote:

I only read a few of these posts until I saw Nina's name. I was thinking of
her this AM while Watching Martha Stewart and wondered about if she still did pumpkin mold work ( Marthas whole show was pumpkin/gourds)
anyway...

Dear, dear Martha. Her magazine was doing a story on dandelions (Lord knows why) and needed a picture of a dandelion. Not just any picture- they wanted a live, blooming dandelion, and they wanted it NOW. "Now" was in October. Well, the Long Island la

b is 80 acres, so our weed scientists drove around in a golf cart and found a dandelion that was blooming, and the magazine sent a crew to take the picture, and paid the weed scientist $500.00 for his assistance. He bought a microwave and toaster for the
lab, and now we proudly show visitors the "Martha Stewart Kitchenette".

snip

LOL! If that's the kind of thing she's after, I've got a whole yard full of poison ivy she can not only photograph but she can take it with her. It's lovely in the fall when the leaves turn red.

Anita tells me that someone on the list grew a bonsai dandelion and kept it alive in a pot for several years. If that person is still on the list, I'd love to hear more. I'm thinking of doing that this spring. After all, it is a perennial.

Craig Cowing
NY
Zone 5b/6a Sunset 37

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 30-10-2003, 03:42 AM
MartyWeiser

Mark,

You might consider repotting next year into a better draining soil in a
shallower pot - i.e. closer to what it will go into once you have trained it
but large enough for continued growth. You can use the same plastic nursery
pot - pull the tree and mulch it in the shade for a couple of hours. Cut
the pot off about 10" above the base and cut vertical slits about 2" long to
make tabs about 1.5" wide around the bottom. Cut a disk of 3/4" thick
exterior grade plywood that will slide down into the pot and fit fairly
tightly just at the top of the tabs. Drill drainage holes in the plywood
staying 2" away from the - I use about 12 1" diameter holes in this pot.
Install the plywood and turn the pot over and nail the bent over tabs to the
bottom of the pot using 3/4" roofing nails. I have had these hold up for at
least 4 - 5 years. You can treat the plywood for rot resistance, but you
will need to wait a few days for the preservative to dry before repotting
the tree. Hey, this might make it small and light enough to haul over to
Jim Doyle's place.

Marty

Old 30-10-2003, 02:12 PM
Mark Hill

Thanks Marty.

When I bring the tree out of my cold frame next spring, I'll take your
advice and stick it into a smaller pot with better draining soil. I'd like
to keep this big pot intact, I already have a candidate for it !!

Mark

You might consider repotting next year into a better draining soil in a
shallower pot

/snip

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

[IBC] Dormancy Nina Shishkoff Bonsai 12 03-01-2004 05:22 PM
[IBC] Ficus benjamina+Serissa dormancy Dimitrios Kalderis Bonsai 5 13-11-2003 11:02 PM
[IBC] Dandelions as bonsai - was Dormancy for KingswoodYardsai Roger Snipes Bonsai 1 01-11-2003 02:13 AM
[IBC] **** [IBC] Dandelions as bonsai - was Dormancy for Kingswood Yardsai Jim Lewis Bonsai 2 31-10-2003 10:02 PM
[IBC] Dandelions as bonsai - was Dormancy for Kingswood Yardsai Roger Snipes Bonsai 3 31-10-2003 04:42 PM